Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
heizenberg
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Manny Pacquiao's place in history

Where do you guys feel Manny Pacquiao place in history is with the career hes had and the number of titles hes won in various weight classes. Do you consider him to be a "great" fighter obviously he is very very good but is he a great? Would you rank him amongst you're top 20 over the last say 65-70 years? How do you think him at his very best at welterweight would fair against greats like Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns and Roberto Duran? Do you think at anytime he had what it takes to beat any of them or at least would give him a solid chance against any of these greats when they were on top of their game?
heizenberg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
pablod
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Manny Pacquiao's place in history

I personally think hes proved that hes the real deal over and over and the pound for pound best of his era and definitely qualifies as an all time great.
titles at flyweight, super bantam, super feather, lightweigh, lt welter, welter and lt middle, its unbelievable.
Great wins in barerra (who we all thought would be to big) de la hoya (whatever was said afterwards most thought de la hoya was lining up an easy fight), cotto, and margarito were great wins against real big dangermen, his kayo of two weight champ hatton at light welter was a top performance and his recent win over tim Bradley was another great win.
beat pretty much everyone out there in 7 weight divisions and has been willing to take real fights, often when hes been the underdog. I think hed hold up well with the greats of any era
pablod is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
The Long Count
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablod View Post
I personally think hes proved that hes the real deal over and over and the pound for pound best of his era and definitely qualifies as an all time great.
titles at flyweight, super bantam, super feather, lightweigh, lt welter, welter and lt middle, its unbelievable.
Great wins in barerra (who we all thought would be to big) de la hoya (whatever was said afterwards most thought de la hoya was lining up an easy fight), cotto, and margarito were great wins against real big dangermen, his kayo of two weight champ hatton at light welter was a top performance and his recent win over tim Bradley was another great win.
beat pretty much everyone out there in 7 weight divisions and has been willing to take real fights, often when hes been the underdog. I think hed hold up well with the greats of any era

Well said
The Long Count is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

He's obviously a great. I don't think he'd fare too well against the best 147-pounders in history, simply because he's a little small to compete with the best at that weight. I think he's devastating at the lower weights.

Great fighter. In my opinion, one of only three active fighters that really deserve that tag.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
pablod
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long Count View Post
Well said
pablod is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

he deserves to be remembered alongside Floyd, and because they will be remembered as each other's nemesis and both played their part in the fight not being made, they both deserve to be remembered with a lot of criticism when it comes to ATG ranking
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #7
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Top 30 id say,but a clear ped user so should be erased from the history books like a lot of fighters but this aint happening because its boxing,ah well..
FIN is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
dannyboy147
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I think he loses to Leonard, hearns and duran purely because of his size. These guys are huge in comparison in every department so its unfair to compare. Leonard and Duran would box his head off, skill wise they are miles apart.

I like Pacs wins over Barrera, Cotto, Hatton, Bradley i think his win over Bradley is massively under rated i think Bradley is a fantastic boxer. Even though Pac lost to prime Morales i like the fact they faced eachother and took the challenge. His fights with JMM are also amazing but i think they dont do as much for his legacy as they do for Marquez. I scored it Draw, Pac by one, JMM by a few, JMM.

Pac, Floyd, RJJ, Lewis, Klits, Toney, Calzaghe, Hopkins, Tyson, we have so many amazing fighters over the last 15 years its so hard to split them. I think the fighters of this generation beat the fighters of old, bigger faster and stronger than 50-100 years ago in all departments in all sports. Obviously there few that are exempt to this.

Pac for me is definitely top 20-25 all time pound for pound. The KO to JMM does take him down a few in my estimation due to JMM age etc. Hell of a fighter and great to watch.
dannyboy147 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
hityounot
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 664

Probably in the 30s right now but once he retires he'll break the top 20s or maybe even the top 10,,...
hityounot is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #10
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hityounot View Post
Probably in the 30s right now but once he retires he'll break the top 20s or maybe even the top 10,,...
how can you justify that without a Floyd fight 5 years ago?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
Karl
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablod View Post
A Margarito with loaded gloves no less.
Karl is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
hityounot
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
how can you justify that without a Floyd fight 5 years ago?
The former flyweight champion who acquired titles in eight division,,... Simply rare,,...
Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
The former flyweight champion who acquired titles in eight division,,... Simply rare,,...
do you know how many belts exist in each weight division?
or are you just pretending that pacman - Floyd wasn't the defining fight of both their careers?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #14
hityounot
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
do you know how many belts exist in each weight division?
or are you just pretending that pacman - Floyd wasn't the defining fight of both their careers?
Minimum, lightfly, fly, superfly/light bantam, bantam, superbantam/lightfeather, feather, super feather, lightweight, super lightweight, welterweight, super weltwerweight, middle, super middle, light heavy, cruiser, and heavyweight,,...

Can you name a fighter who acquired atleast one title in eight of those? Or name a boxer who can?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #15
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Minimum, lightfly, fly, superfly/light bantam, bantam, superbantam/lightfeather, feather, super feather, lightweight, super lightweight, welterweight, super weltwerweight, middle, super middle, light heavy, cruiser, and heavyweight,,...

Can you name a fighter who acquired atleast one title in eight of those? Or name a boxer who can?
maybe you missed the point
do you know how many belts there are in each weight class, or are you just pretending that Floyd - pac was not the most important fight (for both of them) out there

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum