Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #16
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Overrated/ underrated fighters here on ESB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoppaZoo
and what makes you such a f-ing expert. like i said i hate overating fighters but the fact remains all those i listed are Underated.

Tyson is spoken on this board as a fighter that was only good for 4 years. but everyone forgets that if it wasnt for Tyson boxing would not have as many fans as they got from him and him alone in the 80's.

Foreman for me has always been Underated i mean at 50 he gave a Prime Holyfield the fight of his life.

Calzaghe has been a Champ for ten solid years and still even after he busts up Lacy still doesnt get respect off the Yankees on this sight.

Horrble list my ass yours was a horrible list.

Tyson is in almost every Top10 HWīs list, so what? With Foreman the same, George had a poor career, beside beating Frazier twice, what did he? During his comeback-tour he beat only bums, against Holyfield he showed a good performance, but it was also a clear loss, against Moorer it was even worse, he was brutally beaten up, until the lucky punch, read at General Boxing Forum, Calzaghe is very overrated, some people favours him even against SRR... And with Carnera, why is he overrated? Everyone I know who has a bit boxing knowledge says that heīs underrated, btw, I didnīt play the expert, I only said my opinion, than donīt write in a forum, a forum is there to discuss...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #17
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
With the "excusses" I simply meant that some fanboys change it the way they like/ need it, every defeat was a robbery and every close fight he won was a master performance...

IMO Whitaker was a real master boxer, legacy-wise very good and head-to-head also very good, but for me very overrated on ESB...
By "every defeat" you make it sound like they were plentiful. Even counting the Ramirez robbery he lost 4 fights in his entire life, 3 of them in his last 4 fights when well up in weight, well past his prime and 2 vs two of the greatest fighters of the day.

From a sensible perspective it's common knowledge Ramirez was a robbery, nobody debates the Tito scoring and DHL was a very close fight. So we have 4 defeats of which only 2 are debated at all (every defeat was a robbery) Blind Freddy knows 1 was a robbery and the other can be lightly debated from any angle. Not an out and out robbery either way.

I respect you consider Pernell overrated, we all have our opinions.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #18
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Most underrated fighter on ESB is Naseem Hamed. People love to hate him.

Most overrated is Joe Calzaghe - he has beaten a 1 dimentional overhyped Lacy. Futhermore, he likes to slap.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #19
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
By "every defeat" you make it sound like they were plentiful. Even counting the Ramirez robbery he lost 4 fights in his entire life, 3 of them in his last 4 fights when well up in weight, well past his prime and 2 vs two of the greatest fighters of the day.

From a sensible perspective it's common knowledge Ramirez was a robbery, nobody debates the Tito scoring and DHL was a very close fight. So we have 4 defeats of which only 2 are debated at all (every defeat was a robbery) Blind Freddy knows 1 was a robbery and the other can be lightly debated from any angle. Not an out and out robbery either way.

I respect you consider Pernell overrated, we all have our opinions.

Itīs the way people explain their thaughts, when someone favours Pernell against Duran and I ask them why, they respond that he normally beat Chavez, although Duran is twice that what Chavez was, IMO, when it comes to Whitaker, some people are getting unrealistic...
Old 08-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #20
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Quote:
Tyson is spoken on this board as a fighter that was only good for 4 years. but everyone forgets that if it wasnt for Tyson boxing would not have as many fans as they got from him and him alone in the 80's.

Foreman for me has always been Underated i mean at 50 he gave a Prime Holyfield the fight of his life.

Calzaghe has been a Champ for ten solid years and still even after he busts up Lacy still doesnt get respect off the Yankees on this sight.

Horrble list my ass yours was a horrible list.
Tyson is rated fairly overall by the posters here I think. There are exceptions, but aren't there always?

Foreman was 42 when he challenged Evander. Great achievement nonetheless, but I thought I'd point that out.

In Calzhage 's case it's got to do with him being protected for most of his career. The US is the mecca of the boxing world, yet Joe has continually sought the sancitude of his own country. He knows the score.
If he wanted to impress the Yanks, he should have fought in the States.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #21
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

im going off what the fans think on this board.

Yes they Underate
Tyson
Foreman
Calzaghe
etc
and what i was trying to get across is that these guys deserve more respect.
and what i meant about
Carnera
is that the only reason he got a shot was because he was big and because of the mob.
he was talented at all thats why he i overated.

and what i meant by my whole thread i the boxers i mentioned deserve more respect and the ones i say are overated well i would hardly call them overated at all like i said i dont like overating fighters at all but if i had to make a list thats it.

Get over it.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #22
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
Tyson is rated fairly overall by the posters here I think. There are exceptions, but aren't there always?

Foreman was 42 when he challenged Evander. Great achievement nonetheless, but I thought I'd point that out.

In Calzhage 's case it's got to do with him being protected for most of his career. The US is the mecca of the boxing world, yet Joe has continually sought the sancitude of his own country. He knows the score.
If he wanted to impress the Yanks, he should have fought in the States.
yeah can i just say by you saying that why dont you ask PBF the last time he left his country.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #23
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
im going off what the fans think on this board.

Yes they Underate
Tyson.
Don't you think they overate him too? I mean a lot of guys have him at #1 all time heavyweight, some even have him #1 all time p4p.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #24
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
During his comeback-tour he beat only bums, against Holyfield he showed a good performance, but it was also a clear loss, against Moorer it was even worse, he was brutally beaten up, until the lucky punch
Tell me, just say Marciano somehow came back 17 years after retiring say, and beat the linear champ, either Ali or Frazier, whatever one after being schooled for round after round before pulling out the big Suzie Q, you'd not think much of it? Granted he didn't get thru Holy, Tyson or Lewis and lady luck had smiled upon him but it's a pretty good effort.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #25
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Itīs the way people explain their thaughts, when someone favours Pernell against Duran and I ask them why, they respond that he normally beat Chavez, although Duran is twice that what Chavez was, IMO, when it comes to Whitaker, some people are getting unrealistic...
It all boils down to personal perception i guess. I don't know anyone that can routinely predict nowaday fights with any solid success let alone trying to pick these ones. It's great fun to try tho, of course, and at the end of the day all we can do is put forth the more solid debate.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #26
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Tell me, just say Marciano somehow came back 17 years after retiring say, and beat the linear champ, either Ali or Frazier, whatever one after being schooled for round after round before pulling out the big Suzie Q, you'd not think much of it? Granted he didn't get thru Holy, Tyson or Lewis and lady luck had smiled upon him but it's a pretty good effort.
I was really happy when Foreman KO´d Moorer, although I´m a Moorer-fan, but to be honest, Foreman resume is pretty thin, his comeback was great, no doubt, but all in all his legacy isn´t that impressive in contrast to other ATG´s...
Old 08-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #27
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Don't you think they overate him too? I mean a lot of guys have him at #1 all time heavyweight, some even have him #1 all time p4p.
Thats what i mean some overate some underate.

the fans that have Tyson #1 all time well we already know they are the nuthuggers but me i wish Tyson just got more respect from the fans point of view.

Because over here in Australia there was probably 2 men that got people into boxing in the 80's.

1. Mike Tyson
2. Jeff Fenech

Some Loath Tyson some Love him. Me i thank him for making boxing a exciting time while he was in it.

Me i have Tyson number 7 all time at Haevyweight.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #28
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Because over here in Australia there was probably 2 men that got people into boxing in the 80's.

1. Mike Tyson
2. Jeff Fenech

Some Loath Tyson some Love him. Me i thank him for making boxing a exciting time while he was in it.
Yeah, he was big news alright.

Quote:
Me i have Tyson number 7 all time at Haevyweight.
It's reasonable, I have him at 9.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #29
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I was really happy when Foreman KOīd Moorer, although Iīm a Moorer-fan, but to be honest, Foreman resume is pretty thin, his comeback was great, no doubt, but all in all his legacy isnīt that impressive in contrast to other ATGīs...
Foreman proved to me by beating one of the better Heavyweights all time in Joe Frazier that he deserves respect. and who comes back at 42 and KO's a young gun like Moorer.

Goerge Foreman Love him and his bloody Grill.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #30
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Yeah, he was big news alright.

It's reasonable, I have him at 9.
i have no problem when people have Tyson at in there top ten.
Top 5 is a bit rich but i hate the people that come out and go he wouldnt be in my top 20.

Thats what piss's me off.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum