Old 09-12-2007, 12:52 AM   #61
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Overrated/ underrated fighters here on ESB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Are you implying that Duran was a pressure fighter with average power or a brawler?
What is duran's record against boxers? Please instead of being another poster that hypes duran as 'god', please tell me his actual record against the boxers. I mean duran does great against the palominos, barkleys and cuevas. However, when he fights a great boxer like benitez, he gets outclassed. He fights laing, he gets schooled, leonard decides to box with him in thier rematch and he gets schooled.

Duran was a fighter with average power, he isnt a slugger nor is he known for his great 'boxing' skills.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 AM   #62
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
What is duran's record against boxers? Please instead of being another poster that hypes duran as 'god', please tell me his actual record against the boxers. I mean duran does great against the palominos, barkleys and cuevas. However, when he fights a great boxer like benitez, he gets outclassed. He fights laing, he gets schooled, leonard decides to box with him in thier rematch and he gets schooled.

Duran was a fighter with average power, he isnt a slugger nor is he known for his great 'boxing' skills.
Duran lost to Wilfred Benitez and Kirkland Laing when he wasn't focused and wasn't in his prime. He beat Sugar Ray Leonard at 147 - that's all you need to know. He beat Esteban De Jesus twice, Ken Buchanan, Davey Moore, Ernesto Marcel, and Carlos Palomino - all very skilled fighters. And in the 2nd Leonard fight, it wasn't exactly Calzaghe-Lacy. The scorecards were relatively close.

Duran had above average power...watch some of his fights at lightweight and tell me he had average power. Watch him stun Leonard with one left hook in round 2 and tell me he had "average power."

Duran did have great all-around skills. He was one of the more versatile fighters of all time. Good from long range when he needed to be, excellent defensively, great head movement, great feints, great body puncher, and a great inside fighter (perhaps the best inside fighter ever). Not to mention he could take a punch, had excellent speed, and could maul you.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 01:11 AM   #63
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Duran lost to Wilfred Benitez and Kirkland Laing when he wasn't focused and wasn't in his prime. He beat Sugar Ray Leonard at 147 - that's all you need to know. He beat Esteban De Jesus twice, Ken Buchanan, Davey Moore, Ernesto Marcel, and Carlos Palomino - all very skilled fighters. And in the 2nd Leonard fight, it wasn't exactly Calzaghe-Lacy. The scorecards were relatively close.

Duran had above average power...watch some of his fights at lightweight and tell me he had average power. Watch him stun Leonard with one left hook in round 2 and tell me he had "average power."

Duran did have great all-around skills. He was one of the more versatile fighters of all time. Good from long range when he needed to be, excellent defensively, great head movement, great feints, great body puncher, and a great inside fighter (perhaps the best inside fighter ever). Not to mention he could take a punch, had excellent speed, and could maul you.
How is he gonna get to whitaker? I would love to see you tell me how he actually beats pernell whitaker head to head?
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 01:14 AM   #64
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
How is he gonna get to whitaker? I would love to see you tell me how he actually beats pernell whitaker head to head?
I never said that he would...I was implying that he didn't fit the description you gave of those who would get a "paint job" from Whitaker.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #65
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad Spencer
Jack Dempsey. Scrawny overrated white guy. He beat NOBODY in his career and had no decent wins aside from maybe the Willard massacre (and that freak was nothing special anyways). The best fighter he fought boxed his ears off twice. Yet people around here talk like Dempsey was so kind of ATG wrecking machine. If I takes beating a big dumb freak like Willard, I guess I could be an ATG, too.
Nobody?? What about Tommy Gibbions?? Great fighter??
Even Carp was a pretty good fight(Fell short of great imo)
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #66
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
Well, i never read that he is unbeatable at 147. I donīt think that there were many fighters who would pose a problem for him at lw and even at slw but at ww are many guys who would beat him.

You donīt know the poster "Sweet Pea" for example?
No, seriously, Whitakerīs record is great, and I rate him also high head-to-head, but I give many fighters at least a chance against him (Ortiz, Laguna, Duran, Loi, Napoles, etc.)
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #67
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well, depends how much of a chance, i wouldnīt make any lw a clear favourite over him.

I would give nobody a "clear" chance against him, but like I wrote, at least good chances to make a close fight...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #68
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
If you look at the division since it started it would be foolish not to do so, deepest division ever.

Exactly, and some nut huggers mean, "Sweet Pea" would win against anyone at 147 lbs and lower, thatīs why I think heīs overrated a bit...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum