Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #31
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Notice how everyone uses "I think" or "I'm pretty sure" - like they know shit!

Has an interviewer ever asked Mike Tyson himself about steroids? Admittedly, Tyson may not even fully understand all the variety of stuff he took during his career e.g. psychoactive drugs.

Has there been an investigation that links Mike Tyson's camp to cooperating with someone associated with steroids? If so, I'd like to see the article.

Without the above sources, I can reasonably give him the benefit of the doubt. As stated before, he was 200 lbs of muscle at the age of 13! Without a doubt, he was a physical phenomenon without steroids! This is irrespective of whether he did not did not use steroids at any point after 13 yrs of age.
he was a little fat 185 - 190 pounds according to teddy atlas. massive for a kid of that age. but he seemed to stop growing early is well. he has been the same height since he was 15-16

I reckon his pysique of 80's was achievable naturally but i still believe he was on something in them days. the 80's was when roid use exploded
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #32
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
All you have stated is a source and that someone you knew passed away because of substances. Everything else up to this point is vague.



Gist? Saw and heard? Doesn't sound very reliable here. Nor do the above observations have relevance to Tyson himself taking steroids.



Could this merely be the consequence of training? Mike Tyson was a super athlete...with or without steroids. Big muscles came naturally to him. His body could have been very responsive to intensive training.



The above passages have no substances. Sounds like the making of a conspiracy theory.

People can think however much or however little of Mike Tyson the person or the fighter. But if there's one thing that I feel shouldn't be taken away from the man it is his God given talent. Maybe he took steroids. Maybe he didn't. But until we get something of greater substance and reliability than the above which is hardly more than speculation / hear say...I will give him the benefit of the doubt and innocent until proven guilty.
i agree. they dont give you the gifts that he had

The HW division wouldnt be in such a bad way today if they did
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #33
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2006 View Post
How would gh slow you down!? If anything, it would help with recovery, joint repair and dropping bodyfat.

runners wouldnt be taken HGH if it did
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #34
punchy
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 897
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1 View Post
Initially, no. At the age of 12 he was nearly as ripped and as big as he was in his prime. His first amateur fight was a 17 year old because nobody believed how old he was. so how the hell did he get so big? Has anyone ever seen a picture of his dad? because he must have some monsterous genetics.
I saw a photo of Tyson's father a few years back, he would have been in his forties and he was sitting in a small grandstand of sorts. You could see a resemblance to Tyson but he was no monster but you could see he was a strong man although not a fit one if that makes sense.
punchy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #35
punchy
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 897
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE View Post
he was a little fat 185 - 190 pounds according to teddy atlas. massive for a kid of that age. but he seemed to stop growing early is well. he has been the same height since he was 15-16

I reckon his pysique of 80's was achievable naturally but i still believe he was on something in them days. the 80's was when roid use exploded
these are my thoughts as well.
punchy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #36
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

punchy is tysons father a white irish man i heard he was
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #37
beecho1988
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 816
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

No
beecho1988 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #38
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: All up in Djibouti
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 79
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldnarms View Post
You may be correct in a general sense. But a few things don't add up. For one there is no such thing as Male Growth Hormone as you have mentioned a couple of times. Growth Hormone is not gender specific. Also, a "reaction" hat would lead to a heart attack would be more likely to come from a stimulant. That would not be a process of a steroid.

Maybe what you are saying in a general sense is true. But the people offering the stories are a little off.

goldn
I believe what Bigcat's saying as I've been reading his posts on here for awhile and he's not one to stir the pot for the sake of controversy alone, and is a trustworthy poster in my book. That the story he's recounting isn't 100% scientifically accurate adds to the believability for me because most fighters (and other athletes, as well) don't completely understand the science behind 'roids and HGH today, let alone 15-20 years ago. If he posted that people in the ring years ago were giving him the 100% same terminology and facts we know today, it'd have been a red flag that he just made it up now.

I can't speak for anyone else, but thanks for posting that personal account Bigcat.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #39
Brummy1976
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: birmingham
Posts: 894
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
In all honesty i just saw and heard stuff around the gym.. like you say , i may have just heard it wrong , and i am just speculating, but when you hear things said first hand from people close to him you take it as given.. i had a job of taking care of other fighters at that time, i didn't interview them all, i am sorry.. i was just in the gym every day, you ask me if he used MGH.. i said yes.. I didn't even know properly what they were....... if you want signed sworn statements .. i ain't got em.. LOL.. sorry.. i will keep my mouth shut in future, i am not an expert i thought my word may be enough...
You my friend, are a great poster.I dont think i've ever spoke to you or even replied to ur comments, but your a very interesting read !
Brummy1976 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #40
Mrboogie23
what the??
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

I dont think there is any reason to discount Bigcat, I never got the impression that he talked alot of shit.

Anyway, as far as Tyson being on the juice, it wouldnt shock me at all. The guy was a beast. I've never seen any 20 year old look the way that guy did. I think it was already said but I'll reiterate, we tend to hear that Mike was a beast at 12 years or 13 years of age etc, but we've never seen proof of it.

I think Tyson is a combination of great genetics and maybe some drug enhancement. People can juice all they want and still not achieve the look and strength of someone with great genetics.
Mrboogie23 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #41
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrboogie23 View Post
I dont think there is any reason to discount Bigcat, I never got the impression that he talked alot of shit.

Anyway, as far as Tyson being on the juice, it wouldnt shock me at all. The guy was a beast. I've never seen any 20 year old look the way that guy did. I think it was already said but I'll reiterate, we tend to hear that Mike was a beast at 12 years or 13 years of age etc, but we've never seen proof of it.

I think Tyson is a combination of great genetics and maybe some drug enhancement. People can juice all they want and still not achieve the look and strength of someone with great genetics.
spot on mate. i know people who really struggle to gain anything out of juice

tysons ginetics were awesome whether or not he was on juice
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #42
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

For what it's worth here's what Holyfield had to say about it:

Quote:
"Somebody high up in boxing mentioned to me that there was this other fighter who did steroids and I should too because it wasn't illegal in boxing yet," he said. "I said, 'I'm not going to do that. I ain't no cheater.' I was the undisputed cruiserweight champion and I was in the Olympics. If I started taking steroids, people would say, 'He cheated at everything.' But this guy told me, 'Well, [Mike] Tyson is doing it, you should, too. I said, 'I don't care if Tyson is doing it, I'm not.' "

Holyfield said he is not accusing Tyson of taking steroids; he was just relating the story. He also declined to say who addressed the subject with him, adding, "The person is still in boxing. People sue people. I don't need to get into that.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #43
Muchmoore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

Tyson probably did them after Prison, he got pretty jacked. Pre prison though, I doubt it. He had a natural build.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #44
Arka
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grimsby,United Kingdom
Posts: 0
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2006 View Post
How would gh slow you down!? If anything, it would help with recovery, joint repair and dropping bodyfat.
Hmmm....

This slowing down effect may be a problem for a short athlete 5' 10" tall versus someone 6' 6".

If any athlete took GH, the connective and bone tissue in his joints would increase a certain volume.Let's assume there is no increase lengthwise,in a mature adult,because the growth plates have closed. Therefore on HGH the bones can only increase in width.Since a smaller athletes has smaller bones than a taller athlete,that would mean on an intensive course of HGH his bones would increase the same size,but the broadening of his bones and joints would be greater.

Of course with greater cartillage and bone surface area and width come greater range of movement in the joint.This fact may allow an athlete to develop a greater crescendo of power in a punch .

However,the success of a small explosive fighters is highly contingent on quick,compact punches,thrown with balance and with minimum expenditure of muscular energy(ie. combinations) . The broadening of the joints would mean that it wouldn't be possible to throw compact powerful punches without to a certain extent losing balance (because your centre of gravity is thrown further forwards because of the greater range of movement of the joints).Also to keep from being thrown off balance you have to use muscular energy to catch yourself and 'break' your movement.

Maybe this is one way that HGH can affect the speed of one aspect of a fighter's game (especially a smaller fighter).

Last edited by Arka; 05-21-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Arka is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #45
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,559
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Tyson use 'roids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71 View Post
As bad as Tyson was as a person, was he ever accused of
using steroids?
Somehwere around 1996 I'd say he was beginning to juice........ Prior to jail, I doubt it.......... Tyson was naturally trained at 215 to 220 pounds..... But them 230+ pounds days with no added fat seems suspicious to me.........


SR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013