Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-23-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Pick A Linear Heavyweight Champ To Beat Jeffries Under That Era's Rule Set

Go on, have a go.

Reasons are paramount.

Assume plenty of preperation and a couple of tune ups.
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Pick A Linear Heavyweight Champ To Beat Jeffries Under That Era's Rule Set

Tunney
1. I assume a twenty to twenty-five round fight.
2. Tunney had the speed to move and the skill to outbox
Jeffries.
3. Off the reports of Jeff's fights, he was open for left jabs
and Tunney had a good one.
4. Tunney has the jab to slice up Jeff, the speed and skill
to keep him off balance, and the stamina to go the final
rounds at full speed.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Pick A Linear Heavyweight Champ To Beat Jeffries Under That Era's Rule Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
Tunney
1. I assume a twenty to twenty-five round fight.
2. Tunney had the speed to move and the skill to outbox
Jeffries.
3. Off the reports of Jeff's fights, he was open for left jabs
and Tunney had a good one.
4. Tunney has the jab to slice up Jeff, the speed and skill
to keep him off balance, and the stamina to go the final
rounds at full speed.
Agreed. Gene was also tougher than his idol Corbett, who proved Jeff was far from invincible at his peak.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Marciano and Jack Johnson has a good chance.

Louis perhaps.
Ali has a good shot also. If they dont gas out in round 30 that is lol.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

exhaust the mighty Jeff who was known to go 45 rounds??
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I think I would go for Marciano.

You could make an argument that he may already have the stamina to do it via his 15 round preperation, but if not, who would dispute he could make himself ready?

He was freakishly strong for his size - which was small enough that he wouldn't exhaust himslef dragging his bulk around.

Heavy handed but more importantly a busy puncher. Used to throwing plenty to win a fight.

Doesn't tilt or tend to lose his temper when under pressure. Crucial here. Relentless mentally.

There's something in him that's just "get the job done" so I don't think working with this new rules set would throw him like some others.

I think Rocky would have a decent chance.

My second choice would be Liston. Not all Jeffries era fights went the distance I bet and here's a guy with the goods to get the job done early, perhaps.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
My second choice would be Liston. Not all Jeffries era fights went the distance I bet and here's a guy with the goods to get the job done early, perhaps.
I agree that Liston's an astute selection, but for a different reason. Jeff wasn't a true infighter, but somebody who preferred to shove his opponents out into a comfortable punching range, like Foreman did. Unfortunately for Jeff, this would play directly into Liston's battering ram left, and straight punching. The Boilermaker would be forced to work much harder than Sonny as a result, simply to contend with Liston's fists. Most of the legwork needed to be done as a result would have to be performed by Jeff.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I think I would go for Marciano.

You could make an argument that he may already have the stamina to do it via his 15 round preperation, but if not, who would dispute he could make himself ready?

He was freakishly strong for his size - which was small enough that he wouldn't exhaust himslef dragging his bulk around.

Heavy handed but more importantly a busy puncher. Used to throwing plenty to win a fight.

Doesn't tilt or tend to lose his temper when under pressure. Crucial here. Relentless mentally.

There's something in him that's just "get the job done" so I don't think working with this new rules set would throw him like some others.

I think Rocky would have a decent chance.

Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Jack Johnson would be the obvious choice.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 04:15 AM   #10
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

This is a very interesting question. I see the following as good choices:
1. Tunney - Certainly has the ability, and a better chin than corbett, but the longer rounds may work against him. Tunney was supremely confident he could beat Jeffries and Corbett certainly showed it is possible, but anyone picking Tunney would need to remember that his chin would need to be largely untested. Also, under Jeffries rules, there was a lot more clinching allowed and Tunney may struggle with this (remember how he supposedly struggled with corbetts tricks when sparring the old man). Given his lighter body weight, you couldnt pick tunney with too much confidence.

Ali - As probably the greatest fighter ever, he is a sound pick. Particularly given his chin, and the fact that he is like Corbett in every other way. The question is whether he would handle the rules. I think he is best equipped, but saying that if i were picking someone to beat prime Ali, it could easily be Jeffries, as he is almost like a George Foreman with an Unbelievable stamina. This fight could go either way and we dont know how Ali reacts to smaller gloves and most importantly the wrestling.

Johnson - I dont think Johnson has the chin to worry a prime Jeffries, but, he did beat an old one and most importantly, he controlled the clinches in that one. The question is whether he would have the strength advantage against Prime Jeffries. If he did he would be a chance.

Holmes - Quite possibly, he would be the best pick. His jab hits the mark hard and often, so he shouldnt have problems with his hands. He has the strength and a bit of a wrestling back ground, so he could match or possibly even beat Jeffries in the clinches. He also has a proven chin. He has similar style to Corbett who gave jeffries a lot of trouble and is every chance at doing the same, though like the others, he would be forced to go into territory he hasnt been before.

Foreman - This one goes against the grain, but it is the way i would probably go. The only real way to beat prime foreman was to have a super chin and to dance and not be hit. Prime Jeffries was faster than many realise, but he was definitely hittable. Foreman would land and land big. And when foreman lands flush, he usually caused damage, with those little gloves, it is frightening to imagine the damage he might do. I know the common line of thinking is that Foreman runs out of gas, but realistically this is going to be a trade off and a war and foremans chin is first class. Foreman is big enough and strong enough that Jeffries might struggle to wrestle him and in trying to wrestle, Foreman is likely to land some big haymakers. I actually think that if my life depended on it, i would probably go for Foreman as the man to do the job.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homicidal Hank
Jeff went 45 rounds when fighters walked around the ring. Much less energy was expended in Jeff's day than in Ali's. Ali would be making Jeff work like he never worked before. Jeff would exhaust himself trying to find Ali.
I like Jeffries chances of ploding for 45 rounds a lot better than Ali's chances of dancing for 45 rounds. Ali's style simply dose not translate well into a 45 round fight.

If Ali makes Jeffries work like he has never worked before then he will simply tire out first.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Go on, have a go.

Reasons are paramount.

Assume plenty of preperation and a couple of tune ups.
Tunney
Ali
Holmes
JOhnson
Louis
Lewis
Liston
Maybe Charles.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum