Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Best 90s Heavyweight Fight That Didn't Happen But Should Have?
1991 - HOLYFIELD/TYSON 10 35.71%
1992 - BOWE/TYSON 2 7.14%
1993 - BOWE/LEWIS 11 39.29%
1993 - HOLYFIELD/LEWIS 1 3.57%
1995 - BOWE/LEWIS 3 10.71%
1996 - LEWIS/TYSON 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
streetsaresafer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Best 90s Heavyweight Fight That Didn't Happen But Should Have?

So which heavyweight fight from the 90s that didn't happen did you most want to see and why? How would that fight have changed the perception of the respective fighters had it come off?

Also, post your predictions as to who you think would win the following 'what if' heavyweight fights from the 90s -

1991 - HOLYFIELD/TYSON

Thanks to Elijah Tillery injuring Tyson's ribs in a sparring session three weeks before the fight, we didn't get to see this fight in 91. To me this is the fight I would have most wanted to see, even though we got the two fights in 96/97 - this would have been a much greater fight than the good/very good fight the 96 one was (too many clinches though).

Tyson was the best Tyson there was post Rooney coming off two wins v. Ruddock and Holyfield was in his prime. Tyson was 25 years old at the time (as opposed to 30 in 96) and would have taken the undefeated Holyfield more seriously than he did in 96. Tyson would have had better stamina and thus been more competitive in the late rounds and although he had lost much of his bob and weave defensive prowess, offensively the Tyson of 91 was still there in full force.

Holyfield unquestionably was in his prime (29 years old), biggest difference between the Holy of 91 and 96 was Holy in 91 had a much better workrate. He threw more punches and used his feet more than the 96 Holy, and in 91 Holy had yet to have any stamina problems (like he showed starting in 94 on). Anyway this is my choice for for the best heavyweight fight that didn't happen but should have.

Prediction - Holyfield TKO 12th in a classic

1992 - BOWE/TYSON

This fight was actually discussed at one point - if you watch the postfight interviews of Bowe's first fight against Elijiah Tillery on Oct. 29th, 1991 - Rock Newman talks about a Bowe/Tyson bout. So let's say that the fight is signed and they agree to fight the first weekend in January of 92 (seeing as though Tyson's trial would have been an issue by the end of January/early February). This fight would have been pretty big I imagine, Tyson was still the number one draw and Bowe was undefeated. Could have been a fascinating fight. Tyson after the two Rudduck wins v. a potentially prime Bowe.

Prediction - Tyson KO 7th round

1993 - BOWE/LEWIS

This I suspect will get the most votes. Bowe was unquestionably still prime in 93 (Futch said Bowe never looked better when he fought Jesse Ferguson) and Lewis was certainly a top contender by then having destroyed Ruddock. Lewis wasn't prime yet (no Manny Steward) but nontheless would have presented some serious challenges to the champion Bowe. Anyway, a great fight that was missed. While Lewis eventually became the greater fighter, at this point I think Bowe would have had the edge.

Prediction - Bowe KO Lewis 9th round

1993 - HOLYFIELD/LEWIS

I know this one probably isn't on too many people's lists but hear me out. Lewis unquestionably was looking for respect in 93 seeing as though he won the WBC belt while on vacation. Since Rock Newman didn't want Bowe to fight Lewis at this point, why not have Lewis fight Holyfield? Holyfield has shown he was willing to fight anyone and after losing to Bowe, Holyfield wanted to be undisputed heavyweight champ of the world again. What better way than to go after Lewis's WBC belt? Anyway, I know this fight never came close to being discussed or signed but I am just throwing it out there to see if fight fans would have been interested in it.

Prediction - Holyfield UD

1995 - BOWE/LEWIS

I put this one on here because apparently they were going to fight in early 95, but unfortunatlely Lewis lost to McCall and the fight didn't come off. While the fight would have been bigger in 93 (in 93 the fight would have been for the undisputed heavyweight championship and both men were unbeaten) - it still would have been a big fight in 95, even though Bowe had now been beaten by that point. So let's say Lewis doesn't lose to McCall, but still hires Manny Steward anyway, and this fight comes off in the first part of 95.

Prediction - Lewis TKO 10th round

1996 - LEWIS/TYSON

I suspect this will get a lot of votes as well. Obviously we know that Tyson/Don King paid Lewis 4 million to step aside so Tyson could fight Bruno - but let's say that doesn't happen and instead Lewis and Tyson fight? Would have been pretty big I imagine as Tyson still had the aura of invincibility and Lewis only had the 1 defeat to McCall and certainly was a talented, if still looking for respect as the best heavyweight in 96.

Prediction - Lewis TKO 11th round

For the record, I think it would take a prime Tyson to beat a prime Lewis, and although Tyson was formidable in 96 still (much better than the shot version that eventually fought Lewis) I think since he didn't have the head movement and overall defensive skills at this point, that he'd lose (but be more competitive than he was when they actually fought).

So what say you? What was the 90s heavyweight fight you would have most wanted to see?
streetsaresafer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Best 90s Heavyweight Fight That Didn't Happen But Should Have?

Boy we missed out on some potential classics in the 90's. The obvious two would probably be Holy-Tyson 91 and Lewis-Bowe 93. At the time I remember being more disappointed the Bowe-Lewis fight didn't come off than the Tyson-Holyfield match. I'd have to go with Bowe and Tyson in those bouts at those times in a pair of classics. A personal pick of 90's heavyweight fights that never happened would have been Moorer-Morrison. It wouldn't have been as big nor at the level as the ones listed but I always felt that would have been as entertaining as any heavyweight fight that could have been made.
BOGART is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Boricua - TLH
Journeyman

I think Tyson/Douglas was the best 90's fight...
Boricua - TLH is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Boricua - TLH
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua - TLH
I think Tyson/Douglas was the best 90's fight...
This kind of stuff happens when you don't read the full title of the post befor posting... My bad!
Boricua - TLH is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

IMO ranking these fights in order:

1. Tyson Holyfield 1991
2. Bowe Lewis 1993
3. Tyson Bowe 1992
4. Tyson Lewis 1996
5. Bowe Lewis 1995
6. Holyfield Lewis 1993

on a side note

Morrison Moorer 1994
Tua Mercer 1996
Lewis Ibeabuchi 1999 (although 2000 would have been more likely)
Holyfield Ruddock 1992
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Definitely Bowe-Lewis.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Icemmann
Breakin it down.
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Foreman Holmes
Icemmann is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Muchmoore

vCash:

Tyson-Bowe for me. Would of answered a lot of questions about both fighters.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

We saw some good matches in the 1990's. Lewis vs Bowe was grand event we missed.

Others big nights that never were included Morrison vs Bowe, Morrer vs Morrison, Mercer vs Tyson, Ike vs Lewis, and Foreman vs Holmes.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Foreman-Holmes definately should have happened. I think it would have been interesting in 1992.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
Foreman-Holmes definately should have happened. I think it would have been interesting in 1992.
Actually that is one I would have loved to see.

Personally I thought Holmes would have beaten him from 1977- onwards.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #12
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchamp
Actually that is one I would have loved to see.

Personally I thought Holmes would have beaten him from 1977- onwards.
Same here. I think Larry would have had a shot in 76 too. In 75 and back, I don't think he had enough fights to learn to fight a wild slugger like Foreman. Although, I do Foreman would know that he is in a fight.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #13
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
Same here. I think Larry would have had a shot in 76 too. In 75 and back, I don't think he had enough fights to learn to fight a wild slugger like Foreman. Although, I do Foreman would know that he is in a fight.
76 may have been a stretch as Holmes was still green. But '77 till 1997 Holmes all the way.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:22 AM   #14
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Lewis vs Tyson, 1996. This would have been fireworks.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 04:28 AM   #15
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

It's Bowe v Lewis for me, then one less excuse for the Lewis haters would be wiped away.

For my money Lewis beats any version of Tyson or Holyfield so whilst interesting those fights are not as significant. I also think that Holyfield beats any version of Tyson.

Bowe v Tyson would have been interesting as well, though I think that I would fancy Tyson because Bowe's defence resembled a blown safe at times.
Doppleganger is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum