Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
cool-cat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 625
Default head movement

I was wondering how I move my head while throwing punches? and also how to move your head faster?
Thanks
cool-cat is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
curly
Fastest hands in the West
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 660
Default Re: head movement

You don't move your head while throwing punches.

Faster head movement should come in time when your reactions get quicker after you find out getting hit isn't much fun.
curly is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Throw punches, then move your head so it won't be in the same place for a counter.

You get better at moving your head by practicing in drills and later in sparring. Have someone throw a jab at you and slip it, right hands after that (slip to the outside of the punch for both). Same for hooks where you duck underneath. Next mix them up, both straight punches and hooks. Start slow, increase speed as you improve, as always.
RDJ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
Fat Joe
Let's have it right
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Have someone throw a jab at you and slip it, right hands after that (slip to the outside of the punch for both).
If your opponent threw a jab - right hand combination wouldn't you bring yourself into the right hand by trying to move to the outside of it after avoiding the jab?
Fat Joe is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Joe View Post
If your opponent threw a jab - right hand combination wouldn't you bring yourself into the right hand by trying to move to the outside of it after avoiding the jab?
Not if you're fast enough and keep the slipping to a minimum (don't slip too far out of your center). I often slip the left (to my right side), then duck underneath whatever is coming next (to my left side). It's also just a general rule. Once every while you can slip a jab to the inside and counter with your own jab or left uppercut.

Even if you do slip into it, which is possible, your guard will hopefully be up.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Fat Joe
Let's have it right
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Not if you're fast enough and keep the slipping to a minimum (don't slip too far out of your center). I often slip the left (to my right side), then duck underneath whatever is coming next (to my left side). It's also just a general rule. Once every while you can slip a jab to the inside and counter with your own jab or left uppercut.

Even if you do slip into it, which is possible, your guard will hopefully be up.
Interesting. Whenever I do any shadow boxing I just do offense, I have no real knowledge of defensive techniques but it's something I'd like to pick up.
Fat Joe is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

somepeople roll with uppercuts that is effective as you moveyour head as you punch but generally just punch and change your angle and keep punching taht should stop you gtting hit
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

You can punch and move your head at the same time. Some of the best examples can be shown by Cotto. Throw the jab and lean to the right. Throw the right hand and lean to the left. Make sure you are not leaning from bad technique but more because you are trying to avoid incoming shots that are designed to land because your head is expected to be in the same place.

The jab and the straight right aren't the only shots where you can move your head. You can throw the hook to the body and lean to your left. Watch Jones v Hill ko or watch Sutherland v his last opponent.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

One of the subtle things about Cotto is how he will move his head to the side or he will come in low. He isn't throwing his punch out of a normal stance but in fact ad******g his stance so his head is in a different place for incoming shots. Its what make his timing/speed sneaky and why he'll get a shot in but someone like mosley or judah won't.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
You can punch and move your head at the same time. Some of the best examples can be shown by Cotto. Throw the jab and lean to the right. Throw the right hand and lean to the left. Make sure you are not leaning from bad technique but more because you are trying to avoid incoming shots that are designed to land because your head is expected to be in the same place.

The jab and the straight right aren't the only shots where you can move your head. You can throw the hook to the body and lean to your left. Watch Jones v Hill ko or watch Sutherland v his last opponent.
You give away too much information.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
cool-cat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 625

thanks for all the information
cool-cat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing