Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
power2burn

vCash: 1000
Default What makes a good boxing gym?

I have a warehouse which I am going to turn into a boxing gym. It is around 6500 sq ft and the plans just now are to have two rings (one of which will have seating for 100/150 people to hold amateur shows the first Friday of every month).

The reason for this thread is, I want to know what makes a good gym? (I know it is the people but I am talking about the design). Initially, I want the rings to be central and the bags to be randomly placed around the gym.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
power2burn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: What makes a good boxing gym?

You should put this thread in 'Training' as well.
Guy is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I don't know if you are aware of Crossfit (?). If not, go and have a look on their website, somewhere in the faq's there is a download of all of the equipment a good gym should have. Although Crossfit is not specific to boxing, the training ethos and routines are perfect for a fighter. Also have a look at Rossboxing, he has many top notch training articles and there is a training equipment section on his forum.

In my garage gym I have a number of bags, speedballs, double end bags and wall targets to take care of the boxing stuff. For S & C, I have gymnastic rings, pull up bars, climbing ropes, a selections of barbells and dumbells, beer kegs, sandbags, med balls, a selection of iron woody fitness bands, sledge hammers and isometric devices. I also use my car for pushing up and down the street.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

well i think you need

a heavy bag
a light bag (basically a light heavybag that swings alot so you can dodge it and little guys can use it)
a slipping bag (basically a small maize bag/hook and uppercut ball)
a hook and uppercut ball sometimes called a wrecking ball (a big maize bag really)
double end bag (floor to ceiling bag these really are important IMO)
a bag shaped like an egg timer that is a cross between a heavybag, maize ball and floor to ceiling bag
speed ball (not necessarily

IMO you shoulkd put the rings in the middle with the bags and lots of mirrors around them and areas to shadow box and skip. Also some people may want a shower area but a changing area should do. At our gym we have a small changing area up some stairs in a warehouse like yours the stairs lead to like a balcony.

good luck and hope you churn out afew champiosn
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Our gym is very old school. An elevated ring on one side of the hall, the other part is filled with about 20 heavy bags. Along one side is a mirrored wall where we shadowbox and jump rope. We have a single speed bag but it's deflated and no one ever uses it. Downstairs there's an old and rotten weight room, but I never use it. The walls are covered in local news articles about our current and past time boxers and posters of all time greats. It smells like blood and sweat only, no tears because real men don't cry
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

RDJ you remeinded me of other essntial equipment

benches about 3ft high these are really helpful for exercise. situps off of tehm, dips etc...

light weights bout 1 and 2kgs for shadow boxing you can also get weighted gloves for this purpose.

a space heater is a must if you ahve a cold wearhouse a it is hard to get a sweat up without one where my gym is.

a radio system is good.

a big white or black board or a notice board to alert fighters of up coming shows etc.. or if you are doing trainign else where like a local park etc..

racks to store gloves, headguards etc....

a pot of extra gumsheild in case fighters forget theres also a kettle and a cup for moulding

sclaes to weigh fighters

kettle bells really good for fighters i hear

medicine balls are a must IMO
Old 03-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

We train in an old school's gym room, so we have those benches as well. Medicine balls too, forgot them. We also have climbing thingies, no idea how you call them, for pull ups and stretching. A picture (not in our gym)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

we dont have bars but our coach is thinking off getting a pull up bar.

the only time we do pull ups is when we do roadwork in the summer at the local park and we do pull ups of the football goals.

medicine balls is a must.

we only have one of them benches in the club but we do circuits so at most only 3 people use it at once.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Don't neglect pullups, they are one of the most effective upper body exercises available. Use variations with pullups like adding a weighted vest, one arm pullups, towel pullups and muscle ups will push your upper body like no other exercise.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

will start doing more pull ups

especially since im trying to build power
Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If you are trying to build power try focusing on quicker pullup movements rather than pure strength. I don't know what your current level is, but I would advise eithe rworking towards or doing (if you can) clap pullups (as you get to the top of the pull, release from the bar, clap, and catch the bar again) and muscle ups.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Bodi i struggle to do pull ups let alone claps but i will build up to it

im doing clap pullups, burpees (explosive), squat jumps, bent over rows 10kg and weighted shadow boxing
Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If you are struggling with the clap pullups, go to the crossfit website and download the instruction for 'kipping' pullups; this variation will help you no end. Once you get the form down, add the clap. As your explosive strength improves you will be able to do away with the kipping part of the pullup and you will find yourself doing explosive clap pullups for reps. It takes a bit of practice to find the rythmn for the kipping pullup, but with a little persistance you will get it.

The other alternative that will help you is to hook a strong band over the bar and hook one of your knees through it. If you can get hold of a blue or green iron woody fitness band, this would be ideal for you.

Best of luck!
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

cheers for advice will try it out
Old 03-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #15
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

You need a couple professional fighters getting ready for a fight. They will prop up all the people training at the same time. A few hot biatches training at the same time wouldn't hurt as well as long as they don't inter up the training.
cheech is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing