Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 06-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
lamont zero
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Asikainen Sylvester 2

what do you think about asikainen rematching sylvester next week? in their first encounter sylvester got beaten badly via KO. i dont know why they are fighting again. asikainen would have been a good match for arthur abraham. i think asikainen will win again, probably by wide decision. sylvester will be running for dear life. what do you say?
lamont zero is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Asikainen Sylvester 2

That´s how I see it, yes. Asikainen also is a very experienced boxer, don´t expect any rookie mistake from him. So I don´t really see how Sylvester could win, except by horribly false hometown decision. But his chin is made of glass, so I would expect Asikainen to break him before full time. It depends who takes the lead. Last time, Asikainen went after Sylvester like a killer because he didn´t want it to go to cards, having lost some rounds. He usually aims at winning rounds rather than mauling like a windmill, so if he fights more focused the first rounds, you may expect him to go for clear UD. But if Sylvester keeps up with him, he will go into KO mode.
VHB is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I think that Sylvester is an underrated fighter. Nobody here seems to think he is any good. He his handspeed is defenetly in top three in world middleweights. Also Sauerland does belive in this guy. They payd 252 000€ to get this fight in to Germany. That is really big money for an EBU-titlefight If they would had not belived in Sylvester they would had just sent him to Finland. They must be confident that Sylvester will win. And how often does Sauerland make big mistakes? Not too often... Sauerland is trying to make Sylvester a world champion. They dont pay 252 000€ just to get someone to be EBU-champ. I belive that Abraham will move soon up to super middleweight and then Sauerland wants Sylvester to fight for the vacant middleweight IBF-world title. That might be their plan?

How often do you see foreign fighter go twice to Germany and win both fights? They might get one upset win, but not two.

But Amin Asikainen is something special. He is not a usual guy. I think that Sauerland is AGAIN making a mistace with him. I think that Asikainen will shine and beat Sylvester again. The German fans will go home sad, but they will see an performance from the next middleweight champion of the world; Amin Asikainen.
Toney is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malysz
sylvester has no chin. big deal if asakainen wins. you only hype him up so you can say that asakainen beat a good contender.
You will learn to spell his name right soon. Sylvester is a good contender. He is ranked #9 in the world by The Ring Magazine. Well... maybe they just don´t know shit? And maybe Sauerland Event´s managers are just total idiot for investing a lot of money to a peace of crap fighter like Sylvester? They are just picking the wrong opponent, becouse Asikainen did not really shine against Sipos and Di Giacomo. But Asikainen can fight a lot better than in those fights and I think he will show in the rematch with Sylvester.

Last edited by Toney; 06-17-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Toney is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Malysz, Sylvester was considered as an future world champ over a year ago, until Asikainen laid him to sleep. People forget fast. Asikainen, in right night, with his good hook, will demolish ANY middleweight. The guy is a warrior. You can´t win him just by being a better boxer. He will run you through. His conditioning, chin and one-punch power will make him dangerous against any man he faces. So dangerous, that they are ducking him now. No way Sturm would face him. Abraham got Gevor instead of him as a mandatory, what a lucky b..ch... and I guess we don´t even need to talk about Taylor.

And I never meant to undermine Sylvester, he is technically good and awesome handspeed. I just don´t see him being strong enough for an opponent like Asikainen. He might do well against any guy who relies purely on handspeed like himself.

Last edited by VHB; 06-17-2007 at 05:51 PM.
VHB is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #6
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

25-year old EBU middleweight champion with almost a perfect record of 21-1 (loss in a debut long time ago, after that perfect record) and Ring magazine #7 rank definitely sounds like a rising champion to me. They were on their way of arranging a fight with Sturm when Asikainen stopped this rising star. And there´s no point to babble something like "he might be ranked well, but has no chin or power"... look at Felix Sturm. He is very limited too, but does well what he does and is a world champ. Of course you can bash him for being a long-range fighter who does not trade etc... but truth is he would be able to compete with any fighter of his weightclass. Like I said, people forget fast and much is determined by one night. Hell, Sylvester might even be a WBA world champ now, had he not picked Asikainen as his opponent. And now he pays the price again.
VHB is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Sylvester keeps saying how he has corrected his errors and that they made him lose in the first fight. Asikainen looks a bit nervous or annoyed in public workout. I gotta say, if Asikainen pulls it off again, he is THE REAL THING. He´s not facing a super puncher here, but he´s facing a guy who is technically comparable to Felix Sturm and who has studied Asikainen really well and gets another chance at him. Germans are in full support for Sylvester. This is definitely the biggest challenge for Idi so far.

Sylvester KO: No way. Asikainen´s conditioning will keep him busy and his chin can take it too. If Sylvester even tries this, he is done himself.

Sylvester decision: If he wins, he wins by tight UD or controversial MD/SD...it´s possible however. If it goes the full route, it´s anybody´s fight ´cause then it ain´t about who was hurt. Sylvester´s fast front hand allows him to score points.

Asikainen KO: He needs this. And he has a good chance too. Sylvester is prone for cuts, has a suspect chin and has struggled against weaker men than Asikainen. Asikainen needs to hurt him. If he does, it should go all the way.

Asikainen decision: After fights with Sylvester and Sipos, I might´ve said Asikainen has problems winning this by points, but against Lorenzo Di Giacomo he was really stable and strong and won pretty much all 12 rounds. Unlike Sylvester, who won him barely despite of the Italian losing a point. If Asikainen can have a strong start and keep his head straight like he did last time defending his title, he will win enough rounds.
VHB is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Who is the last foreign fighter who has beaten TWICE a hometown boxer in Germany? Sauerland dont make mistakes like that. But Asikainen is special, he can do it.
Toney is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toney
Who is the last foreign fighter who has beaten TWICE a hometown boxer in Germany? Sauerland dont make mistakes like that. But Asikainen is special, he can do it.
berry butler did it last time.

anyway, asakainen, if he wants to present himself as a threat to guys like abraham and pavlik, he better make this a clear and dominant victory.
unitas is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #10
Leifhackman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHB
Sylvester keeps saying how he has corrected his errors and that they made him lose in the first fight. Asikainen looks a bit nervous or annoyed in public workout. I gotta say, if Asikainen pulls it off again, he is THE REAL THING.
Did you see the public workout somewhere? On the net maybe? Could you pls tell the address?

Being also a Finn my guess would be that Asikainen's nervousness would be because of being public, surrounded by people he doesn't really know what they're talking about. What I have heard, seen and read about Asikainen he's a great guy. Not bragging, down to earth, hard worker kind of guy. But being in public is propably not the strongest sides of any Finns by nature unless they're really doing what they know they do at least as well as anyone else if not better. I think in Asikainen's case this would suggest being in action in the ring.

I have gotten the feeling that this time Sylvester is going to get the ride of his life. I think Asikainen will come after him as much as it takes, run after him as fast as it takes, get up from the floor as many times as it takes, even jump out the ring after him if that's what it takes. As long as the last bell will ring or the referee comes to put an end for it. Especially if after the first rounds there's any doubt about who is ahead I think it's going to be hotter than in hell in the ring. I'm almost afraid on behalf of Sylvester if Asikainen feels at some point that he has nothing to loose but only to win.

On the other hand I'm sure it would be great to see Asikainen working his way through if he feels he's behind in points or if he's a bit annoyed after having his face rubbed against glove a bit more than what he likes.

Why do I feel this way... I don't know.. I really don't.. just a feeling. Am I becoming fanatic or something?

What comes to the "world rankings" I think they suggest something but still neither of the boxers have fought against world class guys but each other and I don't think their previous opponents have either. So... to me these paper comparisons are just comparison on the paper. Get the guys in the box and we'll see. I think Asikainen - Castillejo would be great to see. Couldn't they set the title vacant and send Sturm to run in the Olympics or something?
Leifhackman is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #11
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Castillejo is done. He had a good swan song as the WBA champion. I mean, for actually winning it, he lost both his fights after that.

I didn´t see the public workout, I just saw pictures of it at wiking-boxteam´s pages. Then again, all their pics of Sylvester are of him beating on someone, and all pics of Asikainen have taken when he is taking a punch from SS. So I guess they are just Sylvester-fans who take the fact that their boxer is no killer and got whooped. Asikainen did look nervous or uncomfortable in those pics, but then again I am not his wife, I don´t know his expressions.

I only hope Sylvester gets knocked out so that every damn German can admit who was the man. UD might be even juicier.
VHB is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
mrrogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toney
Who is the last foreign fighter who has beaten TWICE a hometown boxer in Germany?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
mrrogers is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrogers
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Yeah, he had goog fights with Urkal. Harris beat Urkal to the punch and overpowered him. Same way as Asikainen will do Saturday.
Toney is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 06:37 AM   #14
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I´m a bit worried. If Sylvester won´t come close, he might pull it off with random lightning usage of his frontal hand. Asikainen needs to hurt him early on with side hooks. To the body!
VHB is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #15
Leifhackman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHB
I´m a bit worried. If Sylvester won´t come close, he might pull it off with random lightning usage of his frontal hand. Asikainen needs to hurt him early on with side hooks. To the body!
Well... Sylverster can run but he can't hide.
Leifhackman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum