Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
left jab danny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 10151
Default Re: Former Australian Heavyweight Champ Shot Dead

Yes it's some sad shit going on such a waste Vince was a top bloke and although i never met dave a lot of people i know have, and they've always said he was a decent bloke which makes this even more tragic.Two lives wasted over an argument between friends.
Dave actually managed Tim Bell for a while and is well known down here in the boxing circles in Melbourne.
left jab danny is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #17
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.
vCash: 1000

Vince was laid to rest, today, 17-3-2009

R.I.P
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #18
toppity
hhhhhmmmmm...........

very sad situation. RIP
toppity is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #19
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Curran guilty and gets 15 year minimum:

Killer Of Boxing Champion Vince Cervi Jailed

by Raymond J. Scheicher - Offical Wire News Bureau - September 9th 2011

A friend of heavyweight boxing champion Vince Cervi was jailed for 19 years yesterday for shooting him dead after a falling-out.

A Supreme Court jury convicted former boxing trainer David Allan Curran, 47, of murdering the Australian champion, 41, on March 9, 2009.

The two had fallen out over a property dispute. Mr Cervi was shot twice during a struggle outside his Preston home.

There had been an argument over Mr Cervi's request that Curran move out of the Preston address, which he had leased.

Jailing Curran for at least 15 years, Justice Stephen Kaye said: "The tragedy of the case is that it stemmed from a mutual sense of grievance between yourself and your friend ... the origins of which were totally out of proportion to the appalling events which culminated in Vinicio's death."

Curran had pleaded not guilty to murder, arguing he had acted in self-defence. But a jury rejected the defence.

Justice Kaye said that while Mr Cervi had been a willing participant in the fight, there was little to support claims he had control of the weapon.

He said he was satisfied Curran had brought the .22 gun along because he felt vulnerable.

"I am satisfied that, during the struggle, the anger which you felt to Mr Cervi at that time caused you to produce the weapon and to fire the shots which inflicted both the fatal wound to his abdomen, and the other wound to his right leg," he said.

Prosecutor Andrew Tinney, SC, had pointed to a text message Curran sent to a friend, boxer Tim Bell, moments before the murder.

Seven minutes before the 7.50pm shooting, Curran had texted Mr Bell: "Hi mate, I might have a full-on blue with Vinnie and a would-be mate (of) his."

One witness had said Curran arrived angry and wielding a pistol, and that during a struggle Mr Cervi tried to push the muzzle of the gun towards the ground.

Curran has already served two years on remand.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
htmonaro
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Terrible news,Condolances to his family!!!
htmonaro is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #21
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

A few more details in this article. Very sad story.

19 years for killing Australian heavyweight champion

by Suzanne Robson - Leader Newspaper - Sept 11th 2011

A FORMER boxing trainer has been jailed for 19 years for shooting dead former Australian heavyweight champion Vinicio Cervi in the front yard of his Preston home.

A Supreme Court jury found David Allan Curran, 47, murdered Mr Cervi when he shot him from close range in the chest on March 9, 2009.

The court heard that Curran, who plead not guilty of murder, was a long-time friend of Cervi but had fallen out with the boxer over a property dispute, prompting him to confront Mr Cervi at his home in Dalgety St, Preston.

In sentencing, Justice Stephen Kaye said he was “satisfied” Curran didn’t intend to shoot Mr Cervi, but did take the weapon to the scene.

Justice Kaye found a “physical struggle took place” almost immediately, in which four shots were fired in two sequences.

Mr Cervi was shot once in the leg and later in the abdomen, the court heard, and died at the scene as a result of the wounds.

“I am satisfied that during the struggle, the anger which you felt for Mr Cervi at that time caused you to produce the weapon and to fire the shots, which inflicted both the fatal wound to his abdomen and the other wound to his right leg,” Justice Kaye said.

“The tragedy of the case is that it stemmed from a mutual sense of grievance between yourself and your friend Vinicio, the origins of which were totally out of proportion to the appalling events which culminated in Vinicio’s death.”

Justice Kaye sentenced Curran to 19 years’ imprisonment, with a non-parole period of 15 years.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #22
sallywinder
Belt holder
ESB Addict

just a litle .22 pistol round eh, of the body of a heavyweight. i wouldnt have thought it would have killed him that quickly.

a .22 pistol is a pro's weapon of choice. but they head shoot as the little 40gm slug doesnt penetrate he skull, it bounces round inside mashing up the brain. but 3 shots, 1 of them to the leg, i wouldnt have thought would stop him. he must have copped one in the heart or a major artery.
sallywinder is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #23
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallywinder View Post
just a litle .22 pistol round eh, of the body of a heavyweight. i wouldnt have thought it would have killed him that quickly.

a .22 pistol is a pro's weapon of choice. but they head shoot as the little 40gm slug doesnt penetrate he skull, it bounces round inside mashing up the brain. but 3 shots, 1 of them to the leg, i wouldnt have thought would stop him. he must have copped one in the heart or a major artery.

What you say is probably true. But I don't think the killer packed the gun in the hope he'd get some rabbiting in on the way home.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:26 AM   #24
goodnight
The Ayatula of Rockenrula
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2391

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallywinder View Post

femoral artery will bleed you out very quick, and very hard to stop as the artery retracts into the groin, nasty.
goodnight is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum