Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
mario
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Bert Cooper post 1992

Has anyone on here followed Cooper's career after his fight with Michael Moorer? Though he won 2 titles (WBF HW, PA HW) and fought for 2 more (NABF, NBA) his career began to fully succumb to drugs addiction, homelessness, divorce and other personal issues. Did anyone on here see his fights with such fighters as Chris Byrd, Fres Oqeundo, Derrick Jefferson, Larry Donald, Jeremy Williams, and Samson P'ouha?
mario is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Bert Cooper post 1992

I pretty much lost track of him after he lost to Weaver.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
mario
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

was he really sluggish and lthargic in his loss to weaver or was he just outboxed? there is pretty much nothing out there on this fight xcept a little snippet article saying he lost
mario is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

I've never seen Cooper-Weaver, although I heard Weaver boxed well. I know it was held in China.

Whenever someone was able to keep Cooper at range in his career he would look very ordinary, it was toe-to-toe where he'd do the damage. I would guess Weaver took the jabbing gameplan.

Against Byrd and Oquendo, it was just what you'd expect - Cooper simply couldn't catch up with them and got jabbed to very wide points losses.

Cooper-Donald was kinda similar, except Cooper started well and had Donald very rattled with a big punch in the 2nd. After that though, Donald got and stayed on his bike, and Cooper suffered enough swelling around his eyes due to jabs to suffer a TKO7 loss.

He lost to Williams by DQ due to repeatedly spitting out his gumshield after he'd get hit by a big punch. Kept getting warnings, and after about the sixth time the ref DQd him...no idea if there were point deductions before that, guess there must've been.

Vs P'ouha was a bloody awful fight, although Cooper was probably winning...both guys sleepwalking through the fight. Then suddenly P'ouha opened up in the 4th, decked Cooper, and flurried to force a stoppage.

Never seen Cooper-Jefferson.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Danny
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Was involved in an absolute barn-stormer of a fight with Michael Moorer, one of the best I've ever seen at HW. It would be hard to ask for more, entertainment wise, when watching a fight like that. It was memorable.

Both were on the canvas, with Moorer coming good in the end. Cooper was no mug, & he gave Holyfield a big scare & more, before Evander too control. If the Cooper who fought Holyfield/Moorer was around today, I think he'd be avoided some-what.

Cooper was the sort of fighter that on paper, probably didn't have much skills, but would give his all & try hard. Underestimate him, & you could pay the price, like Holyfield nearly did.

The HW scene could with a contender like Cooper now. I think the fights with Holyfield, Moorer too a lot out of him. Maybe it disheartened him that he came so close to making a name for himself.
Danny is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
mario
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

thanks damon d! = ), did u happen to see his fights with darroll wilson, richie melito, joe savage, craig peterson, derek williams, rocky pepeli, david jaco, and craig tomlinson? thanks much
mario is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
mario
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

how bout anthony t-bone green as well damon d?
mario is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Whoa! Uh...Christ, let me shake my brains over those fights for a bit
Not ones that immediately spring to mind...

I seem to remember the Melito one was something like where Melito was just peppering him with every shot in the book and then -bam!- ran right into one big punch from Cooper and lost.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
mario
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

i gotta get them on dvd, there out there i just need the $$$$ but i plan on getting everyhting i can possible on him, i'm a huge fan of his, he's from my neighborhood but well older than me and it sux for him cuz no one around my way even remembers him
mario is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2007, 05:26 AM   #10
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Sorry about that. He's certainly a name that gets a lot of recognition around this place at least.

I'm drawing a blank on those other fights, anyone else seen them?

Oh, and you might already know this, but Cooper's fight with Mercer is meant to be a "bombs away" gem.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
mario
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

i talked to his manager and brother in law, lance boudini who i met, he trains a friend of mine who's tryin to turn pro and he told me he kept spitting out his mouth piece in his loss to williams cuz it was to big for him, i read an interview with him after that fight and he said the same thing and that he wanted a rematch and he was never hurt by jeremy, it hink in his loss to green it was as you said his lack of ability in fighting guys who can keep him at range with their jab,
mario is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum