Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: The Foreman Vs Cooney KO

If I'm remembering the end correctly he throws a straight right and then a left uppercut. Strange combination. Always makes me laugh thinking about it.
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #17
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Gil Clancy has worked with both Foreman and Cooney. Clancy trained Cooney for the Foreman fight, and stated (just a bit before Foreman vs Moorer) that he thought that Cooney was the only "good" fighter Foreman defeated in his comeback. Clancy said that Cooney trained hard for the fight, and was in good shape.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #18
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

I am quite sure that the statements I referenced above, by Clancy, can be found on HBO's airing of Foreman vs Coetzer. Clancy favored Tommy Morrison in a suggested match-up against Foreman. Morrison defeated Carl "The Truth" Williams on the same card.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #19
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Gil Clancy has worked with both Foreman and Cooney. Clancy trained Cooney for the Foreman fight, and stated (just a bit before Foreman vs Moorer) that he thought that Cooney was the only "good" fighter Foreman defeated in his comeback. Clancy said that Cooney trained hard for the fight, and was in good shape.
NO! The last punches of the blow-out was a left uppercut followed by a right hand all to Cooney's jaw and face........ Cooney was done.... Foreman wins..... Peace.....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #20
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I ****ed up... I responded to the wrong goddamn post....... No harm done... Peace...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #21
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privatejoker View Post
Does the Cooney who fought Holmes beat that version of George?

Would the Cooney of 1982 get KO'd by the George of 1990?
Cooney would have landed on George more than he did in their 1990 fight. The Cooney that fought Holmes was in better shape I think and better prepared. I think Cooney would have came out firing more than he did in 1990. Who knows! Maybe George still knocks him out, but it wouldn't have been as quick.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #22
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
Some people claim that Cooney had Foreman hurt and ready to go in the first round of their fight. Gil Clancy in particular said this about the bout.

What do you guys think: did Cooney really have Foreman in big trouble near the end of the first round?

I can see that Cooney wobbled Foreman with a quick, sharpy left hook. It's hard to tell if Foreman was seriously hurt, though.
I didn't think that Cooney hurt Foreman all that badly, but he did seem to stun him a bit. The punch that Cooney that nailed Foreman with - that short little inside left hook - didn't appear to be a rather large or loaded punch, but it caught Foreman just right. Foreman later said in his autobiography that Cooney stung him and didn't realize how hurt he was. Foreman said that if Cooney had realized how shaken up he was, he would have piled on the punishment until he went down.....

So, there that is......
Old 03-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #23
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
A very entertaining match for the brief period that it lasted. Cooney showed up in respectable condition and had been working diligently with Gil Clancy ( former Foreman trainer, ) specifically for this match. Despite being 33 years of age and having been off for 3 years, Cooney looked both physically and spiritually better than he did against Michael Spinks in '87.

Someone here ( probably Anthony, ) described Cooney as being a stationary target against Foreman. I have to disagree. He was anything BUT stationary in that fight. Gerry was effectively using good footwork and firing what looked like a picture perfect jab in the first round. Some of those shots were noticably hurting George too. Larry Holmes was at ringside and expressed some admiration for how well Cooney was handling himself that evening. For me, I found it ashame that a man who was showing such skill at a past prime stage never properly harnessed these abilities back when it mattered most.

The question had been asked " could a 1982 Cooney have beaten a 90's Foreman? My answer is anything is possible, but I probably wouldn't have bet money on it. As I have already touched upon, Cooney had awesome potential, but unfortunately it was never developed beyond that. I think he certainly could have lasted longer than a mere 2 rounds and perhaps given an aging big George some problems.. At the end of the day however, is suspect defense and tendency to fold under pressure would be his ultimate undoing..
Cooney didn't have much head movement or side to side movement; in other words, he was more of a stationary target. He fought with his head basically straight up and presented a big target...He came out firing and throwing his hooks though......But this wasn't a prime Cooney by any stretch......This version of Cooney stung George; the prime version could have done better.....But I doubt Foreman or his handlers would have taken a fight with a guy like Cooney in his prime at that point....George was angling for that Tyson fight; he wouldn't want to sabotage it.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #24
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Cooney seemed like he was in good shape to be a P.E. coach at a high school in 1990.... However, at age 33 and inactive since 1987, Gerry Cooney lost a lot of upper body tone, etc.... Cooney's shoulders were not as broad or bulky as they were in the early 80s..... Again, I'm sure Cooney could still spar and punch pretty good in 1990, but his ability to go 10 HARDS rounds and absorb punches seemed like at an all-time low......

Gerry "Boy" Cooney never had a very solid beard to begin with, but, by 1990 against Foreman, Cooney just appeared fragile.... And I do NOT think Cooney's hook shot was thrown with the type of power he generated at age 23 to 27.....

MR.BILL
Agreed! But certain posters on here will state that this spiritually and physically rejuvenated Cooney was a good, solid version of Cooney that represented a stern test to comebacking George; to that I would have to disagree. Cooney was selected as George's opponent for a reason!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #25
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
haha...yeah, that was during the commentary of one of Foreman's fights(against Coetzer I think). Larry Merchant was being brutally honest in regards to George's comeback opponents, and when the question was asked what good fighter did George beat during his comeback, there was a bit of a silence on the part of all three commentators! haha...It was kind of funny.......Finally, Lampley through out the name Gerry Cooney.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #26
spion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Been trying to find the interview with Foreman where George said that Cooney hit him with the hardest punch he had ever taken which is why he knew he had to get him out of there. I'll keep looking and post it when I find it.
spion is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #27
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Gerry Cooney actually developed better lateral movement in his 30s with Gil Clancy training him than he did in his youth under Victor Valle's eyes..... The younger Cooney was merely a stalker; not a boxer.... Cooney actually tried to box and set George Foreman up... The plan was working until Cooney backed to the ropes in round 2 and got caught with a wicked uppercut by Foreman..... The rest is history.....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #28
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74 View Post
Cooney didn't have much head movement or side to side movement; in other words, he was more of a stationary target. He fought with his head basically straight up and presented a big target...He came out firing and throwing his hooks though......But this wasn't a prime Cooney by any stretch......This version of Cooney stung George; the prime version could have done better.....But I doubt Foreman or his handlers would have taken a fight with a guy like Cooney in his prime at that point....George was angling for that Tyson fight; he wouldn't want to sabotage it.
I think Cooney boxed well and showed up in better form than you're giving him credit for, but we'll just agree to disagree on that one.

As for weather or not Foreman would have taken on a prime Cooney while campaigning for a title fight, I concur with you that it probably wouldn't have happened. I have heard comparisons made between Gerry Cooney being sort of like the Razor Ruddock of the early 80's. The big left hooker who was easily dispatching past prime foes in a manner that most others weren't. That said, Foreman was not about to step in the ring against Donoven Razor Ruddock, unless there was about $10,000,000 and a world title on the line. The same or similar scenario would have likely been the case in 1981-82 where Gerry Cooney was concerned.

Even so, I still credit Foreman for his comeback efforts and even some of the opponents ( Cooney being one of them ) whom he easily defeated on his way to another world title..
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #29
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

George Foreman made a cool ONE million bucks from kayoing Cooney in Jan. of 1990. I just wonder had Tyson KO'd Buster Douglas later in February, would "Foreman vs. Tyson" actually took place in the summer of '90, rather than a lousy double-header on HBO.?.? Hmmmm....

MR.BILL

NOTE:

"Foreman vs. Rodrigues" and "Tyson vs. Tillman" sucked the bone in 1990 on HBO...
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #30
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
I just wonder had Tyson KO'd Buster Douglas later in February, would "Foreman vs. Tyson" actually took place in the summer of '90, rather than a lousy double-header on HBO.?.? Hmmmm....
No.

Tyson was already scheduled to fight Holyfield in June of that year. The Douglas fight was basically meant to be a "stay busy" sort of match. The upset disrupted the Holyfield bout.
mr. magoo is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum