Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default My take.

This was my first ever live fight, and I would like to say that the atmosphere was incredible, and was 10 times better than watching it live on television. Great night, albeit a disappointing finale.

Cook vs Martinez

Early on, I felt Cook was out-boxing Martinez on the outside and looked not only the hungrier, but the much more accomplished fighter. I don't know if he always starts slow, but Martinez then began to pick the pace up, walking through anything Cook threw, and started to work on the inside. Cook didn't deal with this very well, and the moment he was being backed up, he couldn't get his own shots off and his defense was non existent. Shocking knock-out, and although it looks impressive, Martinez falls short of a world beater, whereas Cook proved once against that the British aren't tough enough. Back to domestic level for him. Good fight.

Enzo vs Afolabi

This was probably the best fight of the night, with the majority of the entertainment provided by the American-Based wildcard gym fighter, Afolabi. He showed some slick head movement, and the crowd were especially taken back by his huge lunge over the ropes in attempt to avoid Enzo's shots. This was successful early on, but in the mid-rounds he was starting to get tagged a lot after wobbling Enzo himself. The later rounds saw the same kind of thing, with Afolabi doing little in the way of offense, and was eating right hands and left hooks to the body. Just when it seemed Enzo was in control, Afolabi's lands a booming right hand that would have beheaded any Heavyweight. I knew it was over once it landed, and despite Enzo's desperate struggles to get up, it was rightly waved off. Good fight, good luck to Afolabi, but he might want to rely less on reflexes, and get those hands up if he wants to beat Adamek. Back to domestic level for Enzo.

Barrera vs Khan

I am admittedly a huge Marco Antonio Barrera fan. I only decided to get tickets because of his inclusion, but I was not certain how much he had left. His last two fights provided no indication, and despite the W's on his record, that proved to be the case last night. Amir deserves a lot of credit for coming out with confidence, and throwing flurries that were either landing or missing on Marco. The first round, and the entire fight unfortunately, was tainted by an horrendous cut on Marco's head. It was terrible, as the blood began seeping in to his vision. The fight should have been ruled a NC, but this isn't to say Khan was lucky. His speed was a huge factor, although I never thought he hurt Marco. Bad decision, I am hugely disappointed.

I can still say I saw my favoruite fighter of all time in the flesh, and although his fight was lackluster, the undercard provided some entertaining fights and exchanges. Still the best sport in the world, and forever will be.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
DOM5153
They Cannot Run Forever
East Side Guru

vCash: 7562
Default Re: My take.

nice post
DOM5153 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
somerset
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

How did Hall - Pryce look live?
somerset is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

you coulodnt do eports on the fights that werent shown on tv like alhaimedi and paul smith
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
abzmanc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1225

Good post lad. Wish I had gone to the fight. Where abouts in the arena where you sat?
abzmanc is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzmanc View Post
Good post lad. Wish I had gone to the fight. Where abouts in the arena where you sat?
Block 101. Q seat 1. I had a good seat and could see everything really well. Although some khan fans were jumping up during the main event. It was spectacular, and although my man lost, the atmosphere was worth the price of admission alone.

Hall vs Pryce was actually one of the better fights of the night. The stoppage was pretty brutal, and you could see the difference in class from the opening bell.

Enzo vs Afolabi was great to watch.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
avidlemon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

what did the Paul Smith KO look like?
avidlemon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum