Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 03-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.
vCash: 1000
Default The most impressive Australian Fighter...

Careers are full of both positives and negatives, from start to finish. Many men succumbe early on, leaving the game and seeking other ways to a fortune. Many continue to fight on, leaving the game a hero.. without a fortune. Others make a fortune quickly, yet lack the esteem of the audience or books.

What memories do you have of a favourite fighter, or a fighter who left a lasting impression??

This can relate to any Australian fighter.
flamengo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
DaSweetScience
Its Spinal
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: The most impressive Australian Fighter...

Mine was Pat Leglise. He was the man in our gym and I could not believe when Choo Choo Brown knocked him out. I was dazed at school the next day.
DaSweetScience is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Im not sure this is exactly what your are after Flame but I think the best fighter this country has produced is the version of Lionel Rose in the late 60's.
I think the greatest performance and win from a Mexican fighter ever is when Ruben destroyed Lionel that night..And I reckon thats a pretty big call considering the many many great fighters and the boxing rich history that has come out of that country. But such is the esteem I hold Lionel and in turn that performance by Olivares I think its a fair call.

To top it off after a shaky few years after this brutal loss, Lionel gets his way back into title contention several kilos higher then where he first won the title and gives a very good and often underrated Japanese great a very tough fight...shows what a great fighter he was IMO/
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamengo View Post
Careers are full of both positives and negatives, from start to finish.....
Can think of a handful of Aussie fighters who 'made it' or 'nearly made it' and ended up with very little to show for it.

One former Aussie champ who I admired greatly ended up post career living in a caravan and bouncing at pub doors. No names (why put the guy down publically) but what a diabolical shame, and I believe it was probably a case of not being 'honestly' rewarded by his management.

In terms of roller-coaster careers (and lives) it's hard to go past Lionel. Still remember as a kid listening to Rose v Oliveras on the radio and how shattering the result was to everyone. But Oliveras was such a destructive force in the late 60's and would have beaten any bantam in the world that night in 1969, in California.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Rodin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think Lionel was unique. His style, his resilience, his tenacity. He had it all.
Fammo the same, but different styles.
Jeff Harding was a rock.
Tony Mundine unjustifiably was never afforded the stature he deserved because of some media numb skull touting that he had a glass jaw. (He got up after Kahu knocked his mouth guard into another town. Go figure)
Lester & Barry would have been elevated boxing legends, if, it was just about boxing.
Of the lesser known, Charky Ramon would have given the best of them a shake even today. Ronny Beekin was another unsung talent.
Pat Leglise was as humble as he was good.

Just a few that spring to mind.

Last edited by Rodin; 03-17-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Rodin is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

All great words..

The reason for the thread is for that sake.. to hear the views of all, and attitudes towards those of the game... historically, presently, and for any reason which leaves an imprint on the phsyce.
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Above Deck
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
I think Lionel was unique. His style, his resilience, his tenacity. He had it all.
Fammo the same, but different styles.
Jeff Harding was a rock.
Tony Mundine unjustifiably was never afforded the stature he deserved because of some media numb skull touting that he had a glass jaw. (He got up after Kahu knocked his mouth guard into another town. Go figure)
Lester & Barry would have been elevated boxing legends, if, it was just about boxing.
Of the lesser known, Charky Ramon would have given the best of them a shake even today. Ronny Beakin was another unsung talent.
Pat Leglise was as humble as he was good.

Just a few that spring to mind.

When I asked my old man who he considered was the best Aussie
boxer that he'd seen - without any hesistation he said this bloke..
Above Deck is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Deck View Post
When I asked my old man who he considered was the best Aussie
boxer that he'd seen - without any hesistation he said this bloke..
... continue.
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
atigerofold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Mattioli came to Palmers after he had fought my brother Glenn. Glenn outboxed him, but Mattioli got the points over four. I studied Mattioli at Palmers gym and I sparred with Rocky ferociously. I was slightly heavier than he, a middle when he was a light middle, I was a school boy when Mattioli was a physically strong man...but there was about a six month age difference in his favour.

He mastered boxing, and ring craft, he hit like a mule, his hand speed was faster than any other fighter I ever sparred with or saw, and I sparred several hundred champs. He also mastered enough of the Palmer method to duck and weave and catch punches. Mattioli never fought Charkey...but I would back my two testicles on who would have won that bout.....by knockout. Mattioli was vicious. His punches were dynamic. He was like an assassin, and when he nailed his opponents there was no mercy in the after shock mess he would create.

His right hand counter punches were lightening fast, and his left jab were rapid bolts of lightening. I never saw or felt a harder left jabber than him nor did he ever throw a pissy left hand once.

His ring craft was masterful, he commanded centre ring all the time.
He would often let you have the first move and then outspeed you with a punch. I would say his style was electric, all shock and horror.

I sparred Fammo, Bunny Stirling, Johnny OBrian, Bobby Dunlop, Ferreri, and many,many other Champions over my years, but none as dashing and the ball of energy that the Rock was.

When he left Palmers in 1973, he left behind a some sour puddings of sorts, and one was me. I could not see why he would break ties with and leave a great legend like Palmer to be trained by some boxing photographer, but he was that determined to win a world title. He knew exactdly when to move on; he was able to estimate the Australian boxing potential for himself, or his Market at that stage.....and it had become severely deflated... worn out by some degree to TV Ringside. Bravely, he sought new horizons.

He went to his childhood homeland...backing himself bravely. He worked extremely hard, upped the tempo daily, and won his world title. He was a brilliant tough fighter. Had he started his career in USA instead of Australia, he would have probably been an all time legend and great.

Another unknown factor about Rocky was his great generosity. He was a great gym friend to me in older days, when I was a school kid and not working he demanded that he give me his satin shorts, boots, leather jacket and chizel toe shoes, because he said I needed them!

We tend to forget the Rock, probably because he went to Italy and won his title from there, and because he rarely comes back. But I remember him as the very best - ever.

Bravo Rocco Mattioli.
atigerofold is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Tiger... great to read mate.

Rocky Mattiolli doesn't get the credit he is due.
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #11
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamengo View Post
Careers are full of both positives and negatives, from start to finish. Many men succumbe early on, leaving the game and seeking other ways to a fortune. Many continue to fight on, leaving the game a hero.. without a fortune. Others make a fortune quickly, yet lack the esteem of the audience or books.

What memories do you have of a favourite fighter, or a fighter who left a lasting impression??

This can relate to any Australian fighter.
Leaving the game a hero....Jeff Fenech...Aussie 3 time world champ..."I love youes all"....we all spat chips when he got shafted against Nelson....should have been mr 4 time.

Making a fortune quickly...Gotta be the $20,000,000 man Mundine.....plenty more talented better skilled and more willing to punch on but you gotta give credit to the man when it comes to the business of boxing...hes the man in OZ.

Most Impressive Aussie figter .......I dont know enough about our early fighters so I will say Vic Darchinyan ATM......his win over P4P top 10 in Mijares was one of the most dominant wins on the big stage any aussie fighter could hope for......I dont see him getting beaten for a while.

ashley is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerofold View Post
...I sparred Fammo, Bunny Stirling, Johnny OBrian, Bobby Dunlop, Ferreri, and many,many other Champions over my years, but none as dashing and the ball of energy that the Rock was....
A huge wrap indeed, and from someone with enough first hand exposure/experience to make the comparison, and the call. Great also to hear that Rocky had time and generosity for others (unfortunately not common enough traits).

There's a full chapter in the recent 'Fighters By Trade' book on the Rock that includes a 2004 interview. Overall he's philosophical about his career, including the good & bad decisions he made along the way. Reckons if he'd stayed at Palmers Ambrose would have taken him to the world title also. Seems to be at peace with the world and what he's acheived.

The author mentions that Rocky's got the head shaved and is covered in tatoos - the main tat saying something along the lines of 'only God can judge me'.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum