Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 03-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
julian
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default IBO Regional Titles

What's going on with these IBO regional titles.
Why are so many fighters winning these belts and then either moving over to other organisations, or just not defending them at all.
Ryan Waters and Sonny Michael are just two that I can think of and I'm just curious as to why.
In my opinion the IBO have the best ratings system of any world organisation but it's starting to look like the regional side of things is just being used as a belt collecting excercise.
julian is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Phil Austin
Keep on Kronkin on!
ESB Addict

Default Re: IBO Regional Titles

Hi Julian
I think you have a point in some cases! Others it's been a case of winning the title and then realising that it is not a short cut to a world title shot that some others are but a genuine stepping stone that still requires quality opposition before the world title shot (although they can get exemptions under certain circumstances).
Daniel Geale, Robert Medley and Billy Dib have all parlayed regional titles into world title shots and Medley will do so again
regards
Phil
Phil Austin is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Barge FTA
Contender
ESB Senior Member

may it also have something to do with the fact that many of the IBO regional titles are over 10 rounds instead of 12?
Barge FTA is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Phil Austin
Keep on Kronkin on!
ESB Addict

Not an objection I have had before Barge, but maybe you have a point??
Phil Austin is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barge FTA View Post
may it also have something to do with the fact that many of the IBO regional titles are over 10 rounds instead of 12?
Barge....your back.....I thought you leave us over the winter so you can watch all the NRL ganes and spend the week on replays
ashley is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Austin View Post
Hi Julian
I think you have a point in some cases! Others it's been a case of winning the title and then realising that it is not a short cut to a world title shot that some others are but a genuine stepping stone that still requires quality opposition before the world title shot (although they can get exemptions under certain circumstances).
Daniel Geale, Robert Medley and Billy Dib have all parlayed regional titles into world title shots and Medley will do so again
regards
Phil
lol lol lol

A regional title isn't a short cut to a world title fight???

You make it sound like Medley is proof that this isn't the case. Regardless, your diatribe is absolute garbage Phil.

After losing a welterweight title fight against Hlatswaayo, he beats Don Don Sultan (15-9-2) for a vacant inter-continental IBO title. Then gets another title fight against Hlatswaayo. Not a short cut? He didn't exactly walk over hot coals to get a rematch did he Phil...

Now you say Medley will fight for another IBO world title. Is that a reward for beating 8-1 Tui Leveni for the vacant IBO inter-continental belt? I guess it was a monumental win for Medley because afterall, Leveni was coming off a hard fought 4 rd unanimous decision against bad ass Paz Viejo.

Nice try Phil

Last edited by perfect jet; 03-23-2009 at 05:38 AM.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #7
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict

there a joke just like the rest of these silly titles, WBA aer worst of the lot, sometime they have 3 world champions in the same divison at same time.
T.C.W is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

of course there are too many belts, the boxers dont even care about them. if they did, every fight wouldnt be for the vacant title.
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #9
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

The IBO are just a bunch of WBA , WBO , WBC & IBF wannabe's , Just another pimple on the arse of the sport , sanction fees = Free money , Free money = Bums trying to get something for nothing at the expense of the real hero's in the sport ie the actual boxers . ****ing disgrace all these mickey mouse cunting plastc belts and the guys supplying them , One World One Champ in each weight .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #10
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.

Ricky Hatton currently holds which title...???????

You're right though Josey, fans know which fights they want to witness... regardless of the alphabets thrown in.

This ****ed up alphabet might change into Japanese symbols later on... just to create some interest again..
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamengo View Post
Ricky Hatton currently holds which title...???????

You're right though Josey, fans know which fights they want to witness... regardless of the alphabets thrown in.

This ****ed up alphabet might change into Japanese symbols later on... just to create some interest again..
Yea im well aware of what Bullshit belt Hatton wears Flamer mate but i dosent alter the fact its a bullshit belt all the same , i was laughing at the morons claiming Joe Calzaghe was Great because he was going to beat Marciano's record lol More bullshite imo Calzaghe only just recently unified all the plastic belts to become undisputed , sorry but i aint a fan who calls a bloke a champ at the drop of a hat as it appears to be all the rage in the southern hemisphere and more worrying the northern Hemisphere , these belts mean **** ALL its just another org tryin to screw the fighters and the fans .
Old 03-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Yea im well aware of what Bullshit belt Hatton wears Flamer mate but i dosent alter the fact its a bullshit belt all the same , i was laughing at the morons claiming Joe Calzaghe was Great because he was going to beat Marciano's record lol More bullshite imo Calzaghe only just recently unified all the plastic belts to become undisputed , sorry but i aint a fan who calls a bloke a champ at the drop of a hat as it appears to be all the rage in the southern hemisphere and more worrying the northern Hemisphere , these belts mean **** ALL its just another org tryin to screw the fighters and the fans .
All points taken mate.

Achievements are Achievements...

Credibility is Credibility....

NOSTALGIA IS NOSTALGIA..... this sorts itself out in time!!

flamengo is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Yep its just like Joe made the WBO . the IBO are probably praying Hatton makes theirs . the question shouldn't be do we need another org ? it should be do we need ANY of these phoney arse straps ?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Its clear that ALPHABET BELTS hold little value.

With both, Ricky Hatton and Daniel Geale holding IBO divisional titles, theres a clear clarity of difference of between the two mens stature on a world level.

In many ways, this really puts Daniel Geale in a negative corner, as all would consider his legitimacy somewhat poor. Should he beat Mundine, does his platform become elevated on a world base?? I doubt it. Danel Geale would have to prove himself again, at a higher risk level to gain the dollars deserved to him.

With both Hatton and Geale holding IBO titles, the true value of the 'TITLE' is exposed via the monetory values especially. Again, should Geale beat Mundine, his next defence would be for lesser money...
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamengo View Post
Its clear that ALPHABET BELTS hold little value.

With both, Ricky Hatton and Daniel Geale holding IBO divisional titles, theres a clear clarity of difference of between the two mens stature on a world level.

In many ways, this really puts Daniel Geale in a negative corner, as all would consider his legitimacy somewhat poor. Should he beat Mundine, does his platform become elevated on a world base?? I doubt it. Danel Geale would have to prove himself again, at a higher risk level to gain the dollars deserved to him.

With both Hatton and Geale holding IBO titles, the true value of the 'TITLE' is exposed via the monetory values especially. Again, should Geale beat Mundine, his next defence would be for lesser money...
Yes i agree mate also having Australia's most famous boxer holding the ibo will not do that particular org any harm either as Mundine held the prestigious WBA "Regular Champ" all said and done .

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum