Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563
Default Willie Pep - would his fans please justify his placement in their top all time lists

I am confident I will be able to shoot down this myth about Pep being an upper end all time legend once and for all, I don't even need to resort to comparing him to Joe Calzaghe that is too easy -fullstop- -newparagraph- So lets hear it Pep admirers, why should this one weight champion be regarded nearly as highly as the likes of Robinson -questionmark-
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Willie Pep - would his fans please justify his placement in their top all time lists

Because he was a ring deity.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

Default Re: Willie Pep - would his fans please justify his placement in their top all time lists

Style over substance that is one reason he is regarded too highly
Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
Style over substance that is one reason he is regarded too highly
Well I suppose you're right. Pep never had much substance, he could only manage a streak of 135-1-1.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
Well I suppose you're right. Pep never had much substance, he could only manage a streak of 135-1-1.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
I could do the same against that level of competition and I would lose less rounds to those absolute nobodies, he should of practically shut out everyone of those fighters, he would be absolutely ripped to shreds today for his level of competition
Old 07-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
I could do the same against that level of competition and I would lose less rounds to those absolute nobodies

This thread is going to be brilliant.

Last edited by Dr Z; 03-09-2006 at 09:47 PM. Reason: More info added
Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
I could do the same against that level of competition and I would lose less rounds to those absolute nobodies, he should of practically shut out everyone of those fighters
Guns are illegal in boxing, didn't you know?
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
I am confident I will be able to shoot down this myth about Pep being an upper end all time legend once and for all

Just out of curiosity. Are you claiming that Pep was a myth, because you actually SAW some of his fights, or are you just making the assumption that he can't possibly be anywhere as good as some of the modern guys like Calzaghe? Because quite frankly, his resume looks pretty damn good to me.
The guy was undefeated in his first 62 fights. He retired with about 229 wins. He was a multiple time world champion.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #10
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

Why should he be regarded any higher than say Mikkel Kessler -questionmark-
Old 07-16-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well Maggo and Manassa have already offered up some pretty decent reasons which you haven't really tackled...though i am assuiming that you're only an ok boxer and not a really great one and so were joking. If you really could have taken out Pep's opponents I apologise.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Well Maggo and Manassa have already offered up some pretty decent reasons which you haven't really tackled...though i am assuiming that you're only an ok boxer and not a really great one and so were joking. If you really could have taken out Pep's opponents I apologise.
Although I have no doubt I could have outclassed those opponents, for the sake of my argument am going to use known boxer Mikkel Kessler as an example who has fought a similar level of opponent and has barely lost a round
Old 07-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Although I have no doubt I could have outclassed those opponents, for the sake of my argument am going to use known boxer Mikkel Kessler as an example who has fought a similar level of opponent and has barely lost a round
Answer Magoo's question about how much Pep you have seen.

Then deal in more detail with Pep's level of competition.

That would be a good start.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #14
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Willie Pep - would his fans please justify his placement in their top all time li

Quote:
Hmmm, how about because he beat AT LEAST 10 guys better than anyone Mikkel Kessler has beaten?
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #15
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

[quote=mr. magoo]
Quote:

Just out of curiosity. Are you claiming that Pep was a myth, because you actually SAW some of his fights, or are you just making the assumption that he can't possibly be anywhere as good as some of the modern guys like Calzaghe? Because quite frankly, his resume looks pretty damn good to me.
The guy was undefeated in his first 62 fights. He retired with about 229 wins. He was a multiple time world champion.
Based on both video (I haven't seen as much as some here obviously, but enough to pass judgement) and also his resume - very few opponents that should belong in the ring with a world class fighter, let alone one of the 'all time best'

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum