Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The sooner the safer
Posts: 3,614
vCash: 1000
Default Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

Had he been facing someone other than Floyd Patterson that night in 1959???
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

Depends who that person is. If it's Pete Radamachacherer, then yea, he would have won it. Sonny Liston? Not a chance.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
jhar26
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 86
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey
Had he been facing someone other than Floyd Patterson that night in 1959???
You mean Sonny Liston? Poor Ingemar.
jhar26 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
Lacyace
Forever Knight
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Don't know.
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 200
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

Sonny Liston KO1
Lacyace is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The sooner the safer
Posts: 3,614
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
Depends who that person is. If it's Pete Radamachacherer, then yea, he would have won it. Sonny Liston? Not a chance.
Ingo interests me, he is the oldest surviving HW champ, the last surviving white undisputed champ, and you hardly hear much about him these days, do people think that he only won the title because he faced Patterson that night and not someone else??

This is not a thread to disrespect Floyd by the way, who I think was a great champ, I just think that, like Manassa said, against a Liston there is no way he would have won the title. Did he get lucky in his opposition?
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,632
vCash: 238
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

It would've been interesting to see him take on Liston. It would certainly be Liston's best opponent up untill Clay.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 20,602
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

I think that he potentialy had the tools to beat any of the top heavyweights of the period between Marciano and Liston.

While Johansen was a limited fighter he had a short right hand on a par with Joe Louis's and was verry inteligent in the way that he deployed his primary weapon. He was verry sucesfull in concealing just how effective it was before he fought for the title. Machen and Patterson both walked unsuspectingly into his sunday best and went to sleep.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 882
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey

This is not a thread to disrespect Floyd by the way, who I think was a great champ, I just think that, like Manassa said, against a Liston there is no way he would have won the title. Did he get lucky in his opposition?
I disagree, patterson was not a great champ. ingo got lucky to face patterson, then look what happened in their rematches. the way the series went tells all you need to know about those two.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,616
vCash: 1210
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

Johansson looks a VERY POOR boxer vs Uber Bacilieri and Hein ten Hoff, and vs Machen he's not so good either, until the moment he catches careless Machen.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 20,602
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhlilhaus
I disagree, patterson was not a great champ. ingo got lucky to face patterson, then look what happened in their rematches. the way the series went tells all you need to know about those two.
The question you have to ask is whether there was anybody apart from Patterson who he could not have beaten at the time. If not then he was a natural champion of the era.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #11
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 20,602
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
Johansson looks a VERY POOR boxer vs Uber Bacilieri and Hein ten Hoff, and vs Machen he's not so good either, until the moment he catches careless Machen.
Johansen had a way of making careless opponents get caught with that short right hand. It might have been the only strong card he had but he knew how to play it verry well.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,616
vCash: 1210
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

It's not just the way he pretends to be, to trick someone or anything, it's the way he is. He is a VERY POOR BOXER, his skills were worse than average.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #13
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 20,602
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
It's not just the way he pretends to be, to trick someone or anything, it's the way he is. He is a VERY POOR BOXER, his skills were worse than average.
I am not saying that he pretended to be a poor boxer to trick his oponents. I do think however that he concealed his best asets and thus employed them to devastating effect.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #14
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,039
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

I do admire the classic simplicity in which Johansson utilized a bit of trickery to lull both Machen and Patterson into not suspecting the big surprise right hand of his. In Machen's case, it all happened rather quickly, in the first round which turned out to be a nightmare for Machen, With Patterson, for the first two rounds, Ingo used an almost static strategy of just jabbing and pawing, and almost not even using the right at all, kind of just lulling Floyd to sleep and hypnotizing him with that flicking left, then suddenly springing the surprise in the third. Ingo was kind of like a "sit and wait" predator, like viper, or something, if I might use an analogy from the animal world. Just patiently jabbing away, and then with sudden lightning speed, throwing that straight right. Ingo was good at that one thing, and in a purist kind of way, he was very effective for a while. Whether he would have been as successful at winning the title against anyone but Floyd is an interesting questio. Maybe he was a one time only sort of phenomenom (obviously he was) but whoever he could lull into his classically simple trap he would have had a chance against. You could draw your own scenarios with several examples of champions of the past like Jack Sharkey, Jim Braddock, two of which come to mind as possible victims of Ingo. Dempsey and Tunney I rather doubt. Dempsey would have been too much animal for Ingo, and Tunney simply would have not let himself get caught, and would have clinically dissected Ingo along the way. He might have succeeded in rocking and even decking Joe Louis, but the payback would have beem quite devastating for the Swede. I doubt a prepared Charles or Walcott would have had any trouble with him either, and you know what Marciano would have done to him. As for the others.....
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #15
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 20,602
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Would Ingemar Johansson have have won the title

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
I do admire the classic simplicity in which Johansson utilized a bit of trickery to lull both Machen and Patterson into not suspecting the big surprise right hand of his. In Machen's case, it all happened rather quickly, in the first round which turned out to be a nightmare for Machen, With Patterson, for the first two rounds, Ingo used an almost static strategy of just jabbing and pawing, and almost not even using the right at all, kind of just lulling Floyd to sleep and hypnotizing him with that flicking left, then suddenly springing the surprise in the third. Ingo was kind of like a "sit and wait" predator, like viper, or something, if I might use an analogy from the animal world. Just patiently jabbing away, and then with sudden lightning speed, throwing that straight right. Ingo was good at that one thing, and in a purist kind of way, he was very effective for a while.
This is a verry good analysis of Johansens strengths and weakneses.

Although he was technicaly limited I am will ing to say that he might have had the most efective right hand in the history of the heavyweight division. He played this one good hand verry effectively.

Once his opponents knew his strengths and started to fear that bingo right hand he became less efective.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013