Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 04-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default HW hopefulls for 2010

This year is pretty much set with Haye, Povetkin, Arreola, Dimitrenko and possibly Valuev/Chagaev challenging the Klitchko brothers for HW supremacy.

After that, it gets rather empty and although we may see again some of the washed up vets (Toney, Tua, Briggs, Maskaev, Golota, Gomez, Holy)come to the scene for another title shot, the HW division will need new names to step up to the challenge and make thinks interesting.

Who of these fighters you think have enough to get there by 2010 and pose a legit challenge?

1. Solis
2. Kretschman
3. Koeber
4. Pianeta
5. Pala
6. Boytsov
7. Ustinov
8. Platov
9. Chazz Whitherspoon
10. Kielsa
11. T. Kaufmann
12. Bowie Tupou
13. Chisora
14. Evans Quinn
15. M. Wach
16. Oloukun
17. Malik Scott
18. J.D. Chapman

Last edited by 11player; 04-03-2009 at 07:36 AM.
11player is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
andyZOR
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 823
Default Re: HW hopefulls for 2010

Sosnowski right now is the best out of the Polish bunch currently. Not saying much but he is.

Im not gonna judge on Pianeta, I will tomaorw tho. Lets see how he does vs Sosnowski.

Wach imo won't get far. Its funny you mention him tho lol... I don't see Wach going far in the HW division. At best maybe a EBU champion...but I still think thats saying to much. You should of mentioned Andrzej Wawrzyk, he might be a good Polish HW in 2010, same as Kielsa too. Time will tell tho.

Boytsov needs to step up now... its the prefect time. He beat good gatekeepers in Maddalone and Hawkins. Now is his chance to finally fire it up. He should fight somone decently ranked and get his name out there more. Someone like Sinan Samil Sam would be good or Oleg Maskaev..... somewhere along those lines...
andyZOR is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
dwilson

vCash:

I would not count on Chisora getting far to be honest. I doubt we Brits have anyone capable of taking a step into World class or contender status in 2010. All our fighters are still very inexperienced or just not upto the grade.

Keep an eye on Martin Rogan. This Brit can really fight and is very entertaining.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11player View Post
This year is pretty much set with Haye, Povetkin, Arreola, Dimitrenko and possibly Valuev/Chagaev challenging the Klitchko brothers for HW supremacy.

After that, it gets rather empty and although we may see again some of the washed up vets (Toney, Tua, Briggs, Maskaev, Golota, Gomez, Holy)come to the scene for another title shot, the HW division will need new names to step up to the challenge and make thinks interesting.

Who of these fighters you think have enough to get there by 2010 and pose a legit challenge?

1. Solis
2. Kretschman
3. Koeber
4. Pianeta
5. Pala
6. Boytsov
7. Ustinov
8. Platov
9. Chazz Whitherspoon
10. Kielsa
11. T. Kaufmann
12. Bowie Tupou
13. Chisora
14. Evans Quinn
15. M. Wach
16. Oloukun
17. Malik Scott
18. J.D. Chapman
Ustinov has the size and firepower to make some noise in the upcomming years.
Pala is a tough cookie,but lacks the size,punch,right management,and a good trainer to pose a legit challenge for any top fighter.
Nigerian olympian Oloukoun will soon square off against undefeated stabe mate Charr in a true crossroad fight.This upcomming fight will tell us a lot about the African.
Platov is a wild puncher who lacks fundamental skills at times. Cant really see him capture a mayor title!
Boytsov and Solis are probably the two most promising fighters of your list!
Kretschman? Hm! I dont know!
Odo is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Forgot to add JD Chapman, I would like to hear something about him too.

I think you guys noticed I only mentioned young fighters and guys whose names have not been around much yet.

About Sosnowsky, his name has been around for a while, he is finally starting to step up his competition, but I don't think he will ever be a threat to the Klitchkos.

Wawrzyk seems too young to already make a title run in 2010, that's why I didn't mention him.

Wach, I saw him fighting Eric Boose on TV, he has a couple of good things going for him, some talent, but he surelly will need to improve a lot to get there.

Rogan, unfortunatelly, is already too old and will not improve significantly to get there. He is hungry and tough, but what you see is what you get. Maybe he could work his way to a title shot with the right matchmaking, but he would get dominated by the Klitchkos.

Thanks for the replys.
11player is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11player View Post

1. Solis
2. Kretschman
3. Koeber
4. Pianeta
5. Pala
6. Boytsov
7. Ustinov
8. Platov
9. Chazz Whitherspoon
10. Kielsa
11. T. Kaufmann
12. Bowie Tupou
13. Chisora
14. Evans Quinn
15. M. Wach
16. Oloukun
17. Malik Scott
18. J.D. Chapman
Upon first glance, there is not a Klitschko on the list. There might not be anyone as good as Chagaev or Ibragimov either.

Right now, I'd say Solis is the best of the lot, because his pretty much a fully developed pro.

Ustinov to me can be better than Valuev, but he has to watch his weight. The power, and perhaps chin are there for Ustinov. His skills need some fine-tuning.

Boystov started our red hot, but has cooled down, and seemed to have lost the passion and edge that made him a dynamic puncher. I think Boystov is at the crossroads.

I have not seen Wach yet, but he sounds like a very good big man boxer.

I am intrigued by Kretschman's long range potential. The big south paw can punch, and box, but needs to step up a level, and become more aggressive in the ring.

In closing, I do not think anyone on the list will be fighting for a title in 2010. Povetkin or Dimitrenko are better than anyone on this list is right now, and have a chance at winning a title. The fighters on the this list will be in position to get a title shot in 2011-2012 if they keep winning.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
kostya by ko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bowie Tupou is lined up to fight Danny Batchelder in May.

This'll be interesting. He's really been ultra pragmatic about stepping up but now he's very gradually raising the quality. IMO he has to fight more than 3 times a year unless he's fighting higher level competition.

Mike Perez maybe should be on the list. Tor Hamer may be the kind of fighter who generates some good profile for himself in the next 2 years.
kostya by ko is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
moorser
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

martin rogan and mike perez . two top irish fighters . well maybe not perez but hes based in ireland
moorser is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Thanks for the replies so far.

Just reinforcing the idea, Who between these fighters, considering their physical assets, skills, attitude, talent, the promoters behind them, the supporting team backing them up, have the best chances to be as much of a threat in 2010 to the Klitschko brothers as guys like Haye, Dimitrenko and Povetkin are this year of 2009?

The talk is basically about the upside you see with each fighter.

Right now, IMO, all of the names would be easy pickings.

I have yet to watch some of the names on the list perform, but from what I've seen so far, my money is with Ustinov in better shape. He reminds me a bit of Foreman.
11player is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

My numble oppinion:

1. Solis- Weight problems don't permanently reverse themsleves. I am not one to accuse of fixed fights, but that Mazakin fight was awful shady. Seems like he is trying to fight bums iwth impressive records. This guy has Clay-Bey written all over him.

2. Kretschman- Excited about having a big, hard hitting, well schooled guy with a good chin around, but not ready yet.

3. Koeber- Has to capitalize on his victory over his countryman, but I feel he is going to slip back into fighting polookas

4. Pianeta- Not ready yet, but you have to like that he is stepping it up and fighting some decent "B" guys. Hope he keeps progressing.

5. Pala- I am very excited about this guy. Seems like he will fight anyone. He's got my support.

6. Boytsov- go back to banging, or stay in second gear. He's not a slick boxer.

7. Ustinov- Loose the weight or get out. Same as Solis. We just don't need another overweight guy huffing and puffing.

8. Platov- Does not have the talent. We have all seen how far Williams has fallen, and Platov was on his way to getting beat.

9. Chazz Whitherspoon- A clubfighter with a pedigree.

10. Kielsa- I do not have the knoweldge to comment.

11. T. Kaufmann- From what I have heard, probably destined to be a gatekeeper or a jailbird, but I don't know enough to comment.

12. Bowie Tupou- Way raw. Two-three years off.

13. Chisora- Don't know enough, though I hear good things.

14. Evans Quinn- Don't know enough

15. M. Wach- good boxer, but he is going to be hard to market. Division doesn't need yet another guy who can't bang.

16. Oloukun- Don't know enough.

17. Malik Scott- He should retire. He has had long enough.

18. J.D. Chapman- Needs to figure out if he's even fighting anymore. He's big, young, and can punch, at least against regional level opposition, but he has shown nothing to indicate that he is anything other than the next Tommy Morrison, which, in my estimation, is not a good thing.

[/quote]
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent retard View Post
I seem to recall reading that J.D. Chapman is not boxing, in favor of writing childrens books, or something similar??? Please do not quote me on this.
I heard he was going to come back, and then he faded into bolivian again. Who knows.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Strange situation on JD Chapman.

There was an interview with him a few months ago where he said he had problems but was excited he was coming back. Then nothing happened.

Anyone know what's the bad on the guy? not long ago he was top 10 rated by two organizations.
11player is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
kostya by ko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The other part of this thread which is somewhat interesting is the "washed up vets (Toney, Tua, Briggs, Maskaev, Golota, Gomez, Holy)" part. I also read McCall is going to fight soon ... John Hopeta (the ex NRL bloke from oz).

In my mnd, if these guys were going to stick around it would be great to see them fight some of the new guys above. But we all know this isn't going to happen, they are probably going to clog up the division fighting each other or more likely talking about fighting each other.

Rogan was lucky to get the nod against Audley and they are perhaps somewhat around the same level ... but Rogan has all the support in the world, where-as most boxing people wouldn't give Audley the time of day if he asked. I wonder how many of the 18 could beat Audley or John Ruiz in 2010.

One last comment : I think the Haye scenario has addeed to this unfortunate trend in boxing in which people do very little and aim for a title shot on the back of F all. I hope these 18 will be looking to get at the title via impressive victories over Audleys and Ruizs or at least some washed up vets as above and another couple of the 18. On this front I have all respect for Povetkin ... he's been active against solid people from day one and has shown what he can do against very worthy competition (he's probably my favourite HW ATM).
kostya by ko is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #14
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachibatches View Post
My numble oppinion:

1. Solis- Weight problems don't permanently reverse themsleves. I am not one to accuse of fixed fights, but that Mazakin fight was awful shady. Seems like he is trying to fight bums iwth impressive records. This guy has Clay-Bey written all over him.

2. Kretschman- Excited about having a big, hard hitting, well schooled guy with a good chin around, but not ready yet.

3. Koeber- Has to capitalize on his victory over his countryman, but I feel he is going to slip back into fighting polookas

4. Pianeta- Not ready yet, but you have to like that he is stepping it up and fighting some decent "B" guys. Hope he keeps progressing.

5. Pala- I am very excited about this guy. Seems like he will fight anyone. He's got my support.

6. Boytsov- go back to banging, or stay in second gear. He's not a slick boxer.

7. Ustinov- Loose the weight or get out. Same as Solis. We just don't need another overweight guy huffing and puffing.

8. Platov- Does not have the talent. We have all seen how far Williams has fallen, and Platov was on his way to getting beat.

9. Chazz Whitherspoon- A clubfighter with a pedigree.

10. Kielsa- I do not have the knoweldge to comment.

11. T. Kaufmann- From what I have heard, probably destined to be a gatekeeper or a jailbird, but I don't know enough to comment.

12. Bowie Tupou- Way raw. Two-three years off.

13. Chisora- Don't know enough, though I hear good things.

14. Evans Quinn- Don't know enough

15. M. Wach- good boxer, but he is going to be hard to market. Division doesn't need yet another guy who can't bang.

16. Oloukun- Don't know enough.

17. Malik Scott- He should retire. He has had long enough.

18. J.D. Chapman- Needs to figure out if he's even fighting anymore. He's big, young, and can punch, at least against regional level opposition, but he has shown nothing to indicate that he is anything other than the next Tommy Morrison, which, in my estimation, is not a good thing.
[/quote]

Good post,mate!

Koeber? Hm! To put in my two bits: My guess is that fighters like Ustinov,Platov or Boytsov would beat him black and blue in the ring.
His compatriot Kretschman seems to be a far more promising young heavy in my opinion.
Kretschman's weak spot is his weird lack of aggression in the ring.He doesnt enter the ring to shed blood but to win a sport contest.Gives me a puzzled frown to watch someone like Kretschman give it a try at the pros!
At times I think he should join greenpeace or amnesty international instead of fighting at the pro circus.
Odo is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
somerset
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Britain has a big gap to be honest (have you see McDermott!).

Best look east I reckon!
somerset is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum