Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Smitti

vCash: 1000
Default need tips on how to handle a southpaw

i recently started up boxing again after a long layoff (9 years) and after 3 months of conditioning work i have began sparring. Things have been goin well, ive learnt alot from the rounds ive put in, but the other night i had a spar with a new guy at our gym who had a martial arts background and fought in a southpaw stance. At first it was going ok, i was landing with success, but i noticed he was an awkward counter puncher and he seemed to suss me after the first 45 secs. No matter what i did i couldnt seem to land without gettin hit solidly 3-4 times in the process. he was happy to stay on his backfoot peppering away with fast combinations, i was lucky he still throws like a martial artist (short and fast without twisting the body much) otherwise i could hav ended up more busted up than i already was!!

Any tips on how to deal with an awkward counter punching Southpaw would be much appreciated!
Smitti is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

Default Re: need tips on how to handle a southpaw

...... 9 years off??? How old are you?

Last edited by Pugsley; 08-24-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Pugsley is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Smitti

26, infact itll b 8yrs off, when i say lay off... i mean not boxing at a club, ive always had access to a punchbag... but any1 can whack a punchbag cant they!!!
Smitti is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
Orishaman
I tell it like it is....
ESB Addict

The basics:

move to your right.....be conscious of his straight left as he will need to be from your straight right, and get confortable with delivering your left hook moving to your right.....
Orishaman is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Straight right.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
0.5sj719

As others have given advice, straight right and move. I change my gaurd a bit IE orthodox Right hand left cheek/chin, move it as I see fit. I will not let a south paw move inside when I do not want one too, so I move alot waiting to hit back when Im confident.
0.5sj719 is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

most people recommend leading with a straight right and finishing with wide left hook.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

One of the best weapons against a S paw, is the straight right, but it must be fast and sneaky,

a little head fake before the execution of the straight right is also a good measure
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

from a southpaw fighter myself a sriaght right can be a nucence but you have to be close.

take a look at this very simple diagram
southpaw:\ (left foot back right hand foreward)
orthodox:/ (right foot back left foot foreward)

now when 2 orthies meet it's goes / / (both men have equal distance to each other)

but when your fighting southy - orthy it's \ /

now notice how far away the cross is it has to traval littl bit more a nd a good southpaw would counter with a right hand hook while you lunge....sooooo

my plan would be to jab move to the right get inside throw left hooks to the body (which the liver is closer) and then retreat

throw the right hand cross to confuze and keep them back to show business and make it you main weapon but use it sparingly...in my shoes if somone starts to throw the right hand like a jab (snappy ,repetative) basicly then i would throw lefts down the pipe becuase even as much as a right hand aginst a soutpaw is good a left cross at a southpaw is alsot very good.

from a southy
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 02:31 AM   #10
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

Additionally if he keeps leaning back or placing weight on his rear leg, it's even more damaging to hit the body. With his weight there he also has difficulty circling towards his inside unless he pushes off the front foot, that means he has either shifted forward or is temporarily out of balance while turning inwards to face you. You can take advantage of that gap when he is rotating.
Pugsley is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #11
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The guy I spar with alot is southpaw and throws tons of uppercuts and hooks in combinations and rarely throws straight punches. Should i use a more "earmuff" style defense to avoid being hit or... what? He's shorter than me and likes to attack the body so I should jab and move right?
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I myself am a southpaw, i have natural slickness, and pretty good instincts, good speed, and shit for power haha.

But what hurts me the most is when i can't control where my opponent moves, and when he punchs...
So my advice to you, try and control the fight, and fight your own fight, dont fight the southpaws fight..
ALSO left hooks usually slip through my defense when im on my way out.

The way i fight is stick and move, bounce in (this usually involves dodging a few) throw a flurry, bounce out, stick and move again..

Hopefully that explains what i mean when i say "on the way out"
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I've got a few ideas that might work:

First, there is the usuall advice...stay on the outside of his/her lead foot, and step to their right, use straight rights... this should work, once you get used to it, fghting a southpaw is actually easy (unless, they are THAT much better than you)

Second. I find that southpaws are not so used to fighting other southpaws. If you know how to switch, give it a try. However, if you are the SLIGHTEST bit uncomfortable fighting out of a southpaw stance, don't do this.

Third. You say he/she likes to hang outside and counter... take the fight to him. Square up, and maul him on the inside. When he tries to get away, grab, hold and maul some more. Throw him/her in the conrner and punch away!

Fourth. He/she likes to counter... run away! Most of the time if you make a counter-puncher go on the offensive, it throws them of their game. Make them chase you, then you jab and run.
Jennifer Love Hewitt is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #14
Lostmykeys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2036

Straight rights.
Lostmykeys is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 12:39 AM   #15
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Love Hewitt
I've got a few ideas that might work:

Second. I find that southpaws are not so used to fighting other southpaws. If you know how to switch, give it a try. However, if you are the SLIGHTEST bit uncomfortable fighting out of a southpaw stance, don't do this.

Third. You say he/she likes to hang outside and counter... take the fight to him. Square up, and maul him on the inside. When he tries to get away, grab, hold and maul some more. Throw him/her in the conrner and punch away!
Good points here. I do agree much with the part about SPs not being used to fighting other SPs. Even if an Orthodox has some control in the other stance, and switches to engage a SouthPaw, that can make it equally awkward for the guy who is not used to it. I remember seeing Winky Wright get his indomitable defenses ripped up by another SouthPaw, and that is telling in itself.
Pugsley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing