Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #16
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987
Default Re: Alexander Povetkin - Can He Be Great?

No.

1 - He's not fighting in a good enough era to be considered truly 'great' in my opinion.
2 - He just doesn't have the intangibles. Great work rate and combinations, but open defence and stalking style means Wlad & Vitali Klitschko would always be able to land and bomb him out.
TommyV is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Not based on what we saw tonight.
He is coming off a serious injury so I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on this ocasion.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3930

too early to tell.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

He's got a very beatable style; basically good all round but doesn't have the speed or reach to be a dominant boxer and doesn't have much power or strength; he's sort of a pressure fighter who doesn't really put that much pressure on his opponent.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

I'm suprised the guys amateur credentials are being ignored. He's one of the most accomplished amateurs in years.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Russell is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
He is coming off a serious injury so I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on this ocasion.

I second this.

He has beaten some quality fighters in his young start. Go back and look at the fighters Foreman, Holmes, Lewis and even Tyson fought in their first 15 fights. Granted, Alex is older but HW's in general are older today.

Greatness? Only if he continues to progress (not a given) and the matches are made.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #22
Rui
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
I'm suprised the guys amateur credentials are being ignored. He's one of the most accomplished amateurs in years.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
No one's ignoring his accomplishments as an amateur; it's just that one's amateur accolades don't always translate well into the professional ranks.

He struggled way too much with the likes of Eddie Chambers and Jason Estrada to destined for greatness. Not to mention his conditioning and defense appear to be highly suspect. Luckily for him, the heavyweight division is complete crap, so it's possible that he could make a splash. I would favor both Klitschko brothers and perhaps Chagaev over Povetkin. I think he's even money against the likes of Haye, Arreola, or Valuev.
Rui is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #23
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

He's already a great amateur, i think of all major tournaments between 2001 and 2004 he ended #1 in every one of them (including the Olympics) except one, where he was #2 and twice avenged that loss later.

As a professional, who knows? Way too early to tell. His dominant wins over Donald and Byrd were excellent and beating a 33-0 Chambers, who just beat Peter, this early in his career certainly was impressive. However he looked mediocre last night. Combinations and workrate are his strengths and while he threw some combo's, his workrate was way too low, especially if you consider it was only a 10-round fight. If it went over 12, i think Estrada would've been TKO'd, but to be fair, he has an excellent jaw.

One other thing, i think he's a very slow starter... against Chambers he took a few rounds to get his punchrate up but against Estrada he never really got started. Kind of surprising actually, to see a slow starter do so well in 3 or 4 round amateur bouts.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #24
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Maybe hes fading already then, he is 29 and stamina/workrate is 1 of the first things to fade. Or maybe he just couldn't be assed for Jason Estrada
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #25
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
No one's ignoring his accomplishments as an amateur; it's just that one's amateur accolades don't always translate well into the professional ranks.

He struggled way too much with the likes of Eddie Chambers and Jason Estrada to destined for greatness. Not to mention his conditioning and defense appear to be highly suspect. Luckily for him, the heavyweight division is complete crap, so it's possible that he could make a splash. I would favor both Klitschko brothers and perhaps Chagaev over Povetkin. I think he's even money against the likes of Haye, Arreola, or Valuev.
He seemingly doesn't seem to be a Breland amateur to pro fighter, what with the talent not equating to the pro's well at all.

As for Chambers, so what? We're talking about a guy with Tubbs level handspeed. That's a big asset, and he more then likely isn't a easy match for anyone himself.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #26
Rui
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
He seemingly doesn't seem to be a Breland amateur to pro fighter, what with the talent not equating to the pro's well at all.

As for Chambers, so what? We're talking about a guy with Tubbs level handspeed. That's a big asset, and he more then likely isn't a easy match for anyone himself.
I don't quite understand your first sentence, but in terms of Chambers, it is my belief that both Klitschko brothers lose at the very most one round to Chambers while knocking him out in the process.

If Povetkin can't dominate a small, out of shape heavyweight like Chambers, then I can't see him being destined for greatness. That, plus his defense leaves a lot left to be desired.
Rui is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #27
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Or maybe he just couldn't be assed for Jason Estrada
This may be part of the reason, but that would still be a bad sign.

I think the fact that Estrada was shorter than him also contributed to the trouble. His style is suited for a short fighter.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #28
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
I don't quite understand your first sentence, but in terms of Chambers, it is my belief that both Klitschko brothers lose at the very most one round to Chambers while knocking him out in the process.
Size has... what to do with it?

Did you miss Vitali/Gomez? Chamber's is sure as shit a better fighter then Gomez at this point, and in that vein Chamber is far larger then Gomez who used to routinely weigh in at 190 pounds.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #29
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

He is a good fighter at worst, a very good fighter at the best I've seen of him as a professional, and his ceiling is a B+ 'er until proven otherwise, for me. I don't think he beats Volo, though it's possible he or Haye would take Vitali out, at this point. Vitali's looking pretty rough, to me, in 2012. Still a solid top name, but not the beastly guy of even the year or two before, and that Vitali was well-faded then.

Even now, I figure Pov would have to really gut it out at that. Regardless, Povetkin is a hit and miss type that, barring a tremendous upset, this week, will likely be pushed into making poopy or getting off the potty, once and for all. I thought he seemed unfit for a challenging one against Huck in a razor-thin score card but that he looked like a very fine pro against Boswell and Chagaev.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #30
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Who is he fighting next ?
Holyfield ?
Unforgiven is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum