Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who will win this November?
Wlad by stoppage 75 63.03%
Wlad on points 26 21.85%
Povetkin by stoppage 12 10.08%
Povetkin on points 6 5.04%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1001
Default Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alexander Povetkin

With their potential November fight highly likely, here is some interesting footage of Povetkin's last fight against Eddie Chambers.
Povetkin appears extremely susceptible to the 1-2 or jab, right-cross which is Wladimir's best combination. Povetkin has the habit of lingering in the punch zone. Chambers landed at will early in the fight. He stunned Povetkin several times and caused swelling around his eyes.

Chambers is a light-hitting but fast-handed hw while Wlad was named boxing's best puncher by Ring magazine and has exceptional handspeed for a man his size.

Chambers was unable to sustain his attack after round 5 and seemed to completely run out of gas. To his credit, Povetkin gutted out the win but his poor defense and non-existent head movement leaves him very susceptible to Klitschko's longer and straighter punches. Additionally, Chambers rarely utilized his jab despite its success, a punch Wladimir bases his entire attack on. Moreover, this weapon could prove even more critical as Povetkin appears to swell and mark up pretty easily.

A glaring statistic was Chamber's 61% success rate on power punches.

What do you make of this matchup?

BORKED

Last edited by KobeIsGod; 03-23-2010 at 01:37 AM.
KobeIsGod is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sizing up Wladimir Klitschko-Alexander Povetkin

I think if Sasha trains with Aleksandr Karelin, he can win.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2008, 02:16 AM   #3
Serenata
Fit und geimpft
ESB Addict

vCash: 1678

If Povetkin hasn´t improved after the Chambers fight he will get killed.

If he has improved it will be an interesting fight.
Serenata is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenata
If Povetkin hasn´t improved after the Chambers fight he will get killed.

If he has improved it will be an interesting fight.
the more i watch of Povetkin, the less competitve i see this fight being. something else to keep in mind, Wlad throws a much faster 1-2 combination than Chambers as demonstrated against Peter and sometimes throws it 2 times in a row like a four-punch combination.

In both videos, Povetkin and Peter are in similar positions: standing in front of their opponents doing nothing. Povetkin was in this position throughout the fight but Chambers let up after the 5th.

Povetkin cannot mimic Sultan's strategy and run and go backwards since his style is just the opposite. so unless he develops some head movement, he's gonna get blasted out quite easily. I think it's pretty clear he doesn't have Peter's chin.

BORKED
Old 06-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
coog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Possible but highly improbable
coog is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
southpawslick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeIsGod
the more i watch of Povetkin, the less competitve i see this fight being. something else to keep in mind, Wlad throws a much faster 1-2 combination than Chambers as demonstrated against Peter and sometimes throws it 2 times in a row like a four-punch combination.

In both videos, Povetkin and Peter are in similar positions: standing in front of their opponents doing nothing. Povetkin was in this position throughout the fight but Chambers let up after the 5th.

Povetkin cannot mimic Sultan's strategy and run and go backwards since his style is just the opposite. so unless he develops some head movement, he's gonna get blasted out quite easily. I think it's pretty clear he doesn't have Peter's chin.
Yea I agree totally with this. Klitschko is just a very bad match for Povetkin and always will be.
southpawslick is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #7
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Michalczewski#1
yes povetkin is a bad style match up for wlad, but the fighter makes the style. Povetkin is the fastest rising heavyweight(not even Tyson was so quickly matched against the level of opposition hes faced) I can think of and he has great amateur pedigree (olympic gold medal) and serious toughness (was the world kick boxing champion). His chin is solid and hes a pressure fighter so if he takes klitschko to the later rounds he can make the water very deep for the giant Ukrianian.
I have though about this fight. I am sold on Povetkin's stamina, durablity, will to win and guts. He is a very good prospect, with solid skills, good hand speed, and smarts.

Povetkin will not be able to out fight Wlad. Wlad will own him from a distance. The key question to the fight is, does Povetkin have enough ability to get inside, and go to work without Wlad tying him up? I think he can have his share of moments. Povetkin can throw all types of punches, and fights smart.

The draw back is Povetkin is only a solid puncher. He can win like Brewster did, but its likley going to happen a bit later, and only if he weather the strom in the ealry to mid rounds.

I favor Wlad, but make Povetkin a like underdog.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 AM   #8
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

I really don't think Povetkin has a chance.
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
boxexpert
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

this would be too early for povetkin. he need at least 8 more fights until he faces vladimir. after that, that matchup would make sense
boxexpert is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Michalczewski#1
yes povetkin is a bad style match up for wlad, but the fighter makes the style. Povetkin is the fastest rising heavyweight(not even Tyson was so quickly matched against the level of opposition hes faced) I can think of and he has great amateur pedigree (olympic gold medal) and serious toughness (was the world kick boxing champion). His chin is solid and hes a pressure fighter so if he takes klitschko to the later rounds he can make the water very deep for the giant Ukrianian.
i agree. his only chance is to take wlad late but i dont think he can make it there. chambers was blasting him backwards with right hands. povetkin wasn't hurt but he sure was stunned a couple of times. i would say his chin is above average similar to brock. he can take a few of wlad's right hands but not many. certainly not the amount he took from chambers. 61% connect on power shots for chambers. now consider, wlad has a faster 1-2 combination......

unless he vastly improves his head and lateral foot movement, he will stopped mid-rounds. he's just too hittable. klit's jab is gonna dominate this fight.

it's one thing to take those shots from a small hw like chambers, who is a sharp but far from powerful puncher, and another to take bombs from a monster like wlad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
The draw back is Povetkin is only a solid puncher. He can win like Brewster did, but its likley going to happen a bit later, and only if he weather the strom in the ealry to mid rounds.

I favor Wlad, but make Povetkin a like underdog.
yeah its probably a bad strategy to let someone kick the shit out of u and hope he collapses from exhaustion. but seriously, that may be his only chance or hope wlad is so tentative he can outwork him. wlad should be a huge favorite though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxexpert
this would be too early for povetkin. he need at least 8 more fights until he faces vladimir. after that, that matchup would make sense
8 fights? lol....so wait til wlad declines. not a bad strategy. it's a moot point though. the fight is coming off in october/november.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #11
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Vlad does not have a bad chin and he has no staimia problem. He was drugged in the first Brewster fight.
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #12
dwilson

vCash:

Wlad will win this in about 8 rounds by brutal stoppage.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #13
tonsetzer
!
ESB Full Member

Povetkin is toast ! There would have to stand a whole new fighter in the ring, comparing to his last fight. His come forward, pressure style, combined with mediocre punching power and size disadvantage will make him an ideal target for both, the straight right and the left hook. If you pressure Klitschko you better hurt him soon !
tonsetzer is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
Rudolph
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i'm seeing another Forman-Frazier type of ending
Rudolph is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
Alcaldemb
Belt holder
ESB Addict

People seem to forget that in fights with Byrd and Donald Povetkin was a lot harder to hit and employed more upper body and lateral movement, especially coming in at angles. Povetkin had the flu against Chambers, which is something that cannot be discounted as it clearly effected his footwork. On top of that Eddie didn't just simply tire. Povetkin was working his body all fight, which is why he began to run out of steam. Also it wasn't as if Chambers landed at will all the time on Povetkin, he landed a few good counter combos, but there were 6 or 7 of them throughout the fight, it wasn't as if he was dominating him throughout the early rounds and then just tired out.
Alcaldemb is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum