Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default The heavyweight champion as a political tool, history repeats itself!

About a six months ago we debated which of the current crop of fighters would get into the Hall of Fame. Most people thought that Wladamir Klitschko was a slam dunk, but many weren’t so sure about Vitally. I submit that recent events in Kiev, outside the ring have sealed it.

In the 1930s the heavyweight division was highly politicised. You had:

A German heavyweight champion who was used as a propaganda tool by Hitler.

An Italian heavyweight champion who was used as a propaganda tool by Mussolini.

A Jewish heavyweight champion who was used as a propaganda tool by the American Jewish lobby.

A black heavyweight champion who was used as a propaganda tool by the civil rights movement.

We have just seen Vitally Klitschko perform a similar role for the Ukranian opposition, and the Russian government has responded by deploying Nicolai Valuev to the streets of Sevastopol.

The Klitschkos are a throwback in more ways than one. They are intellectual champions in the mould of Jack Johnson and Max Schmeling. Men who would probably not have gone into boxing in post war America, because they would have found other ways to support themselves. Like Joe Louis they are not carried by the political situation, they are forced to actively change it.

The entry of Eastern Europe into the boxing game has brought back some trends that we assumed were gone forever.
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Re: The heavyweight champion as a political tool, history repeats itself!

If I am reading you correctly, Janitor, and you are arguing that Garfield was not really a lazy cat but merely suffering a lifelong, systemic candidiasis, I have to say it is a compelling theory. But I cannot claim to agree without further discussion.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: The heavyweight champion as a political tool, history repeats itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
and the Russian government has responded by deploying Nicolai Valuev to the streets of Sevastopol.
Is this true?

BTW, these events are making me quite uneasy… and they should for all of you… many far reaching implications. I have been through one Cold War and that was quite enough.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Is this true?
Yes.

They never fought in the ring, but they are fighting now.

Quote:
BTW, these events are making me quite uneasy… and they should for all of you… many far reaching implications. I have been through one Cold War and that was quite enough.
We are definitely thinking along the same wavelength here.

Who would have thought that we would be looking at a major European war in 2014?

I guess the date is at least ironic!
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Im speechless...
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
About a six months ago we debated which of the current crop of fighters would get into the Hall of Fame. Most people thought that Wladamir Klitschko was a slam dunk, but many weren’t so sure about Vitally. I submit that recent events in Kiev, outside the ring have sealed it.

In the 1930s the heavyweight division was highly politicised. You had:

A German heavyweight champion who was used as a propaganda tool by Hitler.

An Italian heavyweight champion who was used as a propaganda tool by Mussolini.

A Jewish heavyweight champion who was used as a propaganda tool by the American Jewish lobby.

A black heavyweight champion who was used as a propaganda tool by the civil rights movement.

We have just seen Vitally Klitschko perform a similar role for the Ukranian opposition, and the Russian government has responded by deploying Nicolai Valuev to the streets of Sevastopol.

The Klitschkos are a throwback in more ways than one. They are intellectual champions in the mould of Jack Johnson and Max Schmeling. Men who would probably not have gone into boxing in post war America, because they would have found other ways to support themselves. Like Joe Louis they are not carried by the political situation, they are forced to actively change it.

The entry of Eastern Europe into the boxing game has brought back some trends that we assumed were gone forever.
I'm not sure I get your point here .. are you saying some fighters made it into the hall because of political actions outside the ring in addition to their performances inside it ? If that is the case it seems like the examples above are all over the place w regards to their impact in addition to the level of their participation and their willingness to participate .. before I respond more I think I need to understand the point of the thread ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
TheCrazyCal
Baby Faced Hassassin
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 556

[quote=janitor;16042818]
Quote:

Yes.

They never fought in the ring, but they are fighting now.

Who would have thought that we would be looking at a major European war in 2014?

chinas being kept busy with the mass railway stabbings, i really hope the US stays out of this one
TheCrazyCal is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
I'm not sure I get your point here .. are you saying some fighters made it into the hall because of political actions outside the ring in addition to their performances inside it ? If that is the case it seems like the examples above are all over the place w regards to their impact in addition to the level of their participation and their willingness to participate .. before I respond more I think I need to understand the point of the thread ..
You got too focused on the first paragraph.

I am saying that we are seeing a return to the 30s, when a heavyweight champion was a serious tool for global politics.

I wish it was otherwise!
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote=janitor;16042818]
Quote:

Don't know if we they will hold out till August… But the idea of some super nationalists of a divided land and a great power starting shit one hundred years later is bit eerie...
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #10
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

OK .. got it .. I think the difference w Vitali is that he is a highly educated man who has pursued a political career on his own for a long time .. that being said, I am a big fan of his
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
Monogamous STD
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1414

Vitali is going to become a martyr I'm afraid. I'm worried Wlad might get it too by association. This is some intense stuff.
Monogamous STD is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2014, 04:31 AM   #12
Sawyers
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Quote:
You got too focused on the first paragraph.

I am saying that we are seeing a return to the 30s, when a heavyweight champion was a serious tool for global politics.

I wish it was otherwise!
Vitali being compared to Schmeling.
Sawyers is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Hopefully the Russians will settle for a gentlemanly dual between Vitali and Valuev
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #14
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

trouble is brewing and I am not so sure where the chips will fall. I have seen much in my life and war destroys and damages, this could turn into WW3, a negative turn of events and it could happen.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Hopefully the Russians will settle for a gentlemanly dual between Vitali and Valuev

that would be the best violent solution of the lot
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum