Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default More 1/4 results of the 2nd round March Madness tournament

# 1 Sonny Liston W Unanimous Decision #9 James Corbett - Last night here at the MGM, Sonny Liston won an easy unanimous decision over Jim Corbett. Corbett spent most of the night on his bicycle staying out of harms way while liston stalked him for 12 rounds. Punching stats show Liston landed more blows, landed more power blows, and outlanded corbett in jabs 4 to 1. Many of the rounds were very close as neither fight failed to show dominance. Corbetts jab was most ineffective despite throwing it alot, when he would get in range and fire his jab liston would block it with his high gaurd and throw a long counter jab that would catch corbett was he was darting out of range. Corbett did alot of feinting, while liston went to the body a few times. Overall a boring fight. The experts were not impressed. One said "Both fighters should be eliminated from the tournament." However opinions varied. one said "Liston put on a masterclass jabbing boxing performance by winning 12 out of 15 rounds over the tournaments best technical boxer." Scorecards read 148-136 Liston 148-137 Liston and 144-141 Liston. Afterward, Corbett said "I won the fight I outboxed him. Im too smart for him. Sam will kick the dirty mouthin *****'s ass". "It takes two to tango and he wouldn't fight. With the way he ran here tonight, he might have a chance at making the olympic track team." When the reporter told him corbett thought he won Liston replied "Ya that boy outran me by a good 10 miles. Now if you xuse me sir, I got bigger fish to fry. Or in langfords case, I got a mino to catch and stomp on."
Knockdowns scored: Liston: 0 Corbett: 0

# 5 Sam Langford KO 7 #13 Buster Douglas - A sudden end came to this bout last night when 5 seed Sam Langford scored a one punch knockout over James Buster Douglas, who showed up to this fight looking nothing like the shape he came in against Harry Wills. One expert called Douglas "Fat and Lazy" and douglas flab around his midsection certainly didn't appear like he took this one seriousely. Langford was slightly ahead on the cards when he ended matters. Many experts picked Douglas, who they thought had a great draw, to be the wildcard # 13 seed to make the sweet 16. a 6'4 230lb man against a 5'6 180lb fighter. But Douglas caused his own undoing. Many experts believe Had he shown up in shape he would have had a great chance. In the opening rounds Langford pressued douglas getting inside and landing some big blows. Douglas however most of the fight layed into sam langford with his left jab so much langfords eye was closed by round 6. Douglas simply had no fire, he didnt follow up his jab with his amazing combinations and clever southpaw switch like he did in his last fight. In the 7th, Langford in the clinch pushed away douglas gaurd and landed a titanic left hook on the jaw. Douglas dropped...by 8 he was up on his knee. It looked like he could get up, but he took the 10 count on his knee. Sam raised his hands in victory and lifted a dejected douglas up. When douglas was confronted afterward about his shape he said "This is the expert's perspective: 'He took the money and ran.' Look everything Ive got, Ive Earned. I didnt start with a fancy house and entrance into the biggest tournament ever. I started out in my fathers basement. I went from the basement to where I am now. I went on my own blood and sweat. The experts, they dont know anything about the game. Half of them are wusses." Sam Langford happy enjoying his moment with a big smile said "Bigger only means you easier to hit. I got this big ole yankee liston next, I hear he likes to open his mouth. But ive got something for that. corbett made him look silly, but corbett can't punch. That Liston though, that boy can fight. I only wish he learn to keep his mouth shut. Listons aint know different than any other man. he got two arms two legs like rest of em. Iíve been everywhere, fought everyone, Iíve seen everything in the ring I wanted to see. Now I just want to go home take my dog for a walk and not take up anymore of your time." When asked sam 'How does it feel to be in the sweet 16" Sam replied "Life is sweet. Being in the middle of the ring is sweet. This here, this just a tournament."
Knockdowns scored: Langford: 1 Douglas: 0
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: More 1/4 results of the 2nd round March Madness tournament

# 3 Joe Frazier KO 12 #6 Archie Moore - Alot of prefight trash in this one. Moore called frazier "one handed" and said "Two arms is better than one, that boy is gonna get a good whuppin from me. I hear that boy likes to sing songs on his free time. How bout I sing him a nice lullaby when he lyin there on the canvas." Frazier said "That old man Moore got alot of wisdom, but what he don't got is reflexes. You think I would ever lose to a grandaddy?" The fight started and it was Archie, and not Joe who came out smokin. Moore crowded frazier tattooing him with fast sharp rights and lefts, Moores upperbody movement was oustanding and he looked as good as he ever looked. Moore took rounds 1 and 2, but frazier was only starting to get his engine running. In round 3, Frazier started getting going and backed moore to the ropes landing bone crushing body shots and a couple big left hooks that stopped him in his tracks. For the next 8 rounds The fight remained very close as Archie continued to land sharp counters..archie was smart, when frazier would come in with his bob and weave archie would get into his turtle shell and wait for frazier to make the first move, before timing him and landing sharp clean counter. But Frazier was doing the best work here, he was breaking moore down badly, archie almost went down in rounds 8 and 10 from double frazier left hooks. Moore's face was swollen badly and it doesnt look like hell see the final bell. In the 12th however, Frazier after missing a left hook, archie comes back with a huge fast pinpoint right uppercut...DOWN GOES FRAZIER! frazier clearing the cobbwebs out of his head gets up at 5 but looks stunned. Archie goes into finish it but frazier lands a a huge left hook to the liver left hook to the head combo... ARCHIES IN TROUBLE!! archie backs up into the ropes and frazier goes in lands a huge left hook ANOTHER AND ANOTHER TO THE BODY and one final left hook to the head ARCHIES DOWN ARCHIES DOWN. what a turn of events! 8....9....10 archies out!!! Joe Frazier advances to the sweet 16 with a incredible knockout in a great fight, in the most exciting round of the tournament. Scorecards at the time of the knockout 105-104 Frazier 106-103 Frazier 104-104 Even. Archie said after "That boy frazier he like a buzzsaw he just keep on going and dont stop. Who ever has to face him next round better bring a steel cage around there midsection." Frazier available for comment said "Archie is one clever dinosaur. That man's a great fighter, I knew it was going to be a good fight, but I didn't realize how much power he had. He hit me harder than I have ever been hit before. I didn't know where I was for a second." The reporter Telling Frazier he has holmes next....Frazier replied "Does Larry know that yet? I bet hes fled the country by now. He knows whats in store for him, he love his ribs. He don't want them broken."

# 2 Larry Holmes RTD 13 # 10 Vitali Klitscko- Mr. Larry Holmes advanced to the Sweet 16 here last night when Vitali Klitschko quit on his stool in between the 10th and 11th round last night after getting a shellacking for most of the fight. Despite visiting the canvas in the 7th round, Larry Holmes proved he was just too skilled and fast for the 6'7" Giant who some experts picked as the dark horse to win the tournament. Fireworks started in the first round when Vitali came out slugging and Holmes had no problems giving it to him right back with lightning fasts straight shots that picked up points as the crowd cheered on there feet. The 2nd and 3rd rounds holmes boxed he sticked and moved and beat vitali to the punch time and time again. Vitali tried to be cute in leaning back from the punches, but holmes outsmarted him by firing flurries that left vitali bewildered. Vitali was having a very difficult time with holmes jab, and even though he tried to disrupt larry by jabbing simultanesly, holmes fast sharp jab was scoring more points than vitali's who was pawing too much. In the 7th, Holmes bringing his left a little too low vitali fired back a sweet thudding right hand that landed flush...holmes dropped right to his butt. Holmes getting up stumbled and hit his head on the ring post. The referee went to holmes but holmes signaled he was ok. The bell sounded ending the round. In the 8th, holmes took over. He had vitali all figured out...Vitali was keeping his left too low by his waist and holmes started timing it with straight right hands, one which busted a huge cut over vitalis eye. For the next 4 rounds holmes continued to gash that eye and tee off on vitali with rights and flurry in and out beating him to the punch time and time again....Holmes started comboing off his jab and vitali was just helpless in there. After the bell to end round 12 sounded...Vitalis with his eye hanging out of his socket his corner asked him "can you continue vitali..one more round?" Vitali replied "No, thats iit. Imm Finished." The bout was stopped as holmes corner went nuts. Larry shouted out loud "Sweet 16 here I come." In the postfight interview Larry said afterward "I think I proved im the best tonight. Everyone was picking the big fella over me, but Im tellin you if he was black no one woulda picked him over me! Everyone loves the white hope, but white fighters just aint any good." When asked what Larry thought of Vitali he replied "Vitali boxes like an amatuer, I don't think he will go anywhere. He doesn't have the talent. I have faced much better fighters before. Just because your big doesn't mean anything, look at gerry ****ey." Vitali, available for comment afterward said "I had a bad draw. These other fine champiionsns still alive, They are too small to compete with me. They are great fighters, but too small."

Knockdowns scored: Holmes: 0 Vitali: 1
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

bump
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

EDIT: Nevermind. Misunderstood.

Surprised to see Holmes stopped Klitschko, though I expected him to win.

EDIT II: How are you getting these results? You using Title Bout or something?
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

These are all spot on. I am a little suprised to see Holmes stop Vitali.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I wouldnt say he "stops" vitali. He makes vitali quit on his stool and suffer a huge gash.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
EDIT II: How are you getting these results? You using Title Bout or something?

Naw I just use my head and try to be as creative and realistic as possible
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
CottoDaBodykill
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4047

suzie is a genius ...

liston for the win suckas! ... he's making fools fear for their lives in there
CottoDaBodykill is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
CottoDaBodykill
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4047

holmes is gonna bully fraizer he'll stop him in 5 or 6 rounds...that jab is gonna be a problem
CottoDaBodykill is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum