Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Povetkin. The next great heavyweight?

There has been some buzz in the boxing world about the emergence of Alexander Povetkin. Povetkin of course was the gold medal winner of the World Amateur and Olympics in the super heavyweight division. There have been four gold medal winners at super heavyweight division who turned professional before Povetkin. They are Biggs, Lewis, Kiltschko, and Harrison. Both Lewis and Klitschko have achieved the #1 consensus spot as professionals. Biggs and Harrison crashed and burned, though it should be noted that Biggs won his gold in an Olympics where the Cubans and Old Soviet block countries boycotted the Olympics. The current conclusion on this case study is half of the Olympic gold medal winners at Super heavyweight have achieved the top spot as the #1 professional at heavyweight. Not bad.

This leads me to my question. How will Povetkin’s career turn out? Will he ascend to the #1 spot sometime in his career? I have seen 12 of 13 of Povetkin’s fights. While Povetkin doesn’t have Lewis and Klitschko’s sheer size and power, he seems to be more durable than all four previous Olympic gold medal winners. I would be surprised if Povetkin was upset in similar fashion to Lewis or Klitshcko.

Take the poll and give us your best guess as to how Povetkin’s career will turn out.

How will Povetkin’s career turn out? Share one of the following six opinions with the board.

1 ) He will crash and burn like Harrison did.

2 ) He will fight for a world title belt, but never win one.

3 ) He will win a world title belt, but never ascend to the #1 spot in his career.

4 ) He will win a world title belt, defend it a few times, and claim the #1 spot by third party rating systems such as FightNews.com, Ring Magazine and Box Rec

5 ) Povetkin will not only achieve the #1 spot, he will likely end up in the hall of fame like Lewis.

6. Povetkin will be viewed as one of the great all time heavyweights.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Povetkin. The next great heavyweight?

Anything from 1 to 6 is possible to be honest. You never quite know how a fighter is going to turn out untill he goes up against the best out there.

All I will say at this stage is that Povetkin is an extremely exciting contender and probably the one to watch at the moment.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Anything from 1 to 6 is possible to be honest. You never quite know how a fighter is going to turn out untill he goes up against the best out there.

All I will say at this stage is that Povetkin is an extremely exciting contender and probably the one to watch at the moment.
Can you pick one of the six choices? It doesn’t matter if you’re right or wrong. I respect the views of the posters on the classic section. I just want the best guess of the posters here.

I will go out on a limb and choose choice #4. “ 4 ) Povetkin will win a world title belt, defend it a few times, and claim the #1 spot by third party rating systems such as FightNews.com, Ring Magazine and Box Rec “
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Can you pick one of the six choices? It doesn’t matter if you’re right or wrong. I respect the views of the posters on the classic section. I just want the best guess of the posters here.

I will go out on a limb and choose choice #4. “ 4 ) Povetkin will win a world title belt, defend it a few times, and claim the #1 spot by third party rating systems such as FightNews.com, Ring Magazine and Box Rec “
OK

I pick option 4 1/2

He will be recognised as the man in the division as you say and will be the major force in it over a significant period unless another verry good challenger emerges.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

3 ) He will win a world title belt, but never ascend to the #1 spot in his career.

This is my pick. He might still get to #1 when Wlad has retired, but I expect younger, bigger heavyweights to supplant him by then.

It's strange, but I feel we might need a new weight division that goes on top of the Heavyweights to become the new open division. It functioned well as an open class when people were shorter, but now I find myself short-changing Povetkin because I feel he doesn't have the physique to consistently beat the best. He's good, but he's not Holyfield or Tyson.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:

5 ) Povetkin will not only achieve the #1 spot, he will likely end up in the hall of fame like Lewis.

I will choose this one.

His only problem, in my opion, would be Wladimir Klitschko. He lacks the power to put him away and Wlad has the footwork, jab and reach to box him to a decision.
Other than that, with more experience i think he can beat anyone else in the division right now.

Although i don't think he will be upset the Klitschko and Lewis were, i fear he's a bit too slug-happy sometimes. Just like Holyfield used to be in the early 90's. Maybe Peter will take his best shots, and come back with harder punches and come out fresher. But if he boxes smart, he should be able to take Peter apart rather easily.
I am very excited about Povetkin.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

I´ve seen all of his pro- fights now and a lot of his amateur- fights, and to be honest, I´m pretty impressed, and his chin looked really solid during his amateur- career, but we have to look now at the pro´s what happens if he faces a real puncher and gets hit...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 07:37 AM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

If Povetkin turns out to be as good as I think and that is a big if then a showdown between him and Klitschko could be a verry interesting afair.

It might be a live test of the superheavyweight theory and a backdrop for a general debate on it.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #9
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
If Povetkin turns out to be as good as I think and that is a big if then a showdown between him and Klitschko could be a verry interesting afair.

It might be a live test of the superheavyweight theory and a backdrop for a general debate on it.

Completely agreed. But to be honest, I would pick Povetkin, even right now. He´s hungry, and he has no fear, he has the power to hurt and KO Wlad...
Old 08-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

4 ) He will win a world title belt, defend it a few times, and claim the #1 spot by third party rating systems such as FightNews.com, Ring Magazine and Box Rec

If he fights Wlad too soon he could be ruined early, but I think he should rise to be number 1 but not get near the likes of Lewis/Holyfield he isnt that good
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #11
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:

In a perfect world, Povetkin wins a belt besides the IBF, and then meets Wlad in title unification. History only seen one other match between two prime world champions who were both Gold medal winners in the Olympics. Such a fight would give the winner a legacy. I think the backdrop politically between Russia and the Ukraine, combined with the clash of styles between the best boxer puncher vs the best swarmer / aggressive attacker would give boxing an “ Ali and Frazier “ type hype….. in Europe.

I don’t think Povetkin will test the theory that says you need to be a “ super heavyweight “ to win the #1 spot these days. Povektin is a medium sized modern heavyweight. He was measured at 182cm for the Olympics which is exactly 6’2”. His best weight is between 218-225 pounds. When Brewster and Sanders upset Wlad, they weighed close to what Povetkin weighs now. When Rhaman and McCall upset Lewis, they were Povetkin’s height, and maybe 10 pounds heavier.

The theory that needs to be tested is can a smaller heavyweight 6 feet or under, and 210 pounds an under defeat a super heavyweight and claim the #1 spot. In theory the answer is yes of course. But in current events we might never see it happen.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

I pick 4
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
In a perfect world, Povetkin wins a belt besides the IBF, and then meets Wlad in title unification. History only seen one other match between two prime world champions who were both Gold medal winners in the Olympics. Such a fight would give the winner a legacy. I think the backdrop politically between Russia and the Ukraine, combined with the clash of styles between the best boxer puncher vs the best swarmer / aggressive attacker would give boxing an “ Ali and Frazier “ type hype….. in Europe.

I don’t think Povetkin will test the theory that says you need to be a “ super heavyweight “ to win the #1 spot these days. Povektin is a medium sized modern heavyweight. He was measured at 182cm for the Olympics which is exactly 6’2”. His best weight is between 218-225 pounds. When Brewster and Sanders upset Wlad, they weighed close to what Povetkin weighs now. When Rhaman and McCall upset Lewis, they were Povetkin’s height, and maybe 10 pounds heavier.

The theory that needs to be tested is can a smaller heavyweight 6 feet or under, and 210 pounds an under defeat a super heavyweight and claim the #1 spot. In theory the answer is yes of course. But in current events we might never see it happen.
Povetkin carries extra fat on him (despite being in good shape) which indicates that he's smaller than his weight would indicate. Given equivalent bodyfat levels, he's not significantly bigger than fighters like Joe Louis or Sonny Liston...perhaps slightly smaller.

Interestingly, Povetkin seems to move a lot like Louis.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13

He´s better than Ibragimov or Maskaev for sure...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum