Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #31
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576
Default Re: Povetkin. The next great heavyweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabonator
Endomorph?? What is that? And i wouldnt compare Povetkin to Tyson bodywise BTW!! Tysin was always ripped. Povetkin is not ripped. But hes not overweight or out of shape.
Tyson had a smooth layer of fat on him relative to someone like a prime Ali, who had an ectomorphic structure (ie. naturally skinny and with a metabolism that sheds pounds easily). Hence why Marciano, despite having the best stamina of any heavyweight champion I've seen, didn't look cut (except over his eyes).
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #32
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

4 ) He will win a world title belt, defend it a few times, and claim the #1 spot by third party rating systems such as FightNews.com, Ring Magazine and Box Rec

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE WAY THEY MOVE HIM, HE HAS A GREAT AMATUER PEDIGREE BUT NEEDS TO BE MOVED RIGHT AND DEVELOPED AS A PRO, I LIKE THE WAY HE FIGHTS ON THE INSIDE BUT HIS DEFENCE NEEDS WORK AND HE WILL NEED A FINISHING TRAINER(A PRO TRAINER) AN AMERICAN EVENTUALLY.HE HAS THE POTENTIAL BUT I DON'T KNOW IF HE HAS THE BEST IN HIS CORNER TO ADVANCE AND BE THE BEST THAT HE CAN BE. HE CAN BE AN ATG OR JUST WIN A TITLE
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:07 AM   #33
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
We have all seen Ali near 220, Louis near 216 and Frazier near 215. IMO, at those weights Ali, Louis and Frazier have more fat on them than Povetkin does at 225. So I think Povetkin is a bit naturally bigger / more compact in his build than the above trio.
Good points.

It's weird what kind of agenda some people have. They say Povetkin is a "small" heavy, yet he's only half an inch shorter than Muhammad Ali and a bit heavier without carrying more fat, i.e. wider. But you won't hear the same people claim that Ali is too small (and rightfully so).
ChrisPontius is online now  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #34
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I like what I see from Povetkin, a lot of potential there. His level of competition has been good but his upcoming bout with Byrd is a huge step up. Even this version of Byrd is still a top 10 heavyweight who has a difficult style to deal with. If he were to beat Byrd and the winner of Brock-Chambers he will have done as much as most have done to earn a title shot, if only it was against a different champion. Fighting Wlad this early in his career might be too much too soon, we'll see.

As for how far he'll go? Hard to say, I'm sure he'll grab a belt somewhere along the way. With the heavyweight division in a down period I would also expect him to be considered the top guy in the division at some point. I don't know if he'll make it to the upper echelons of heavyweight greats, but he has the best chance of anyone out there.
BOGART is online now  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #35
Mrboogie23
what the??
ESB Senior Member

I am rooting for Povetkin to be the man. I'm impressed with him. He's got good power and from what i've heard and read he's got a good chin. His balance and footwork are great. The guy throws alot and never loses balance at all.

He'll be a force I think.
Mrboogie23 is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #36
Danny Ocean
My nAmE IS MoNeY
ESB Senior Member

Danny Ocean is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #37
semichin

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
Povetkin carries extra fat on him (despite being in good shape) which indicates that he's smaller than his weight would indicate. Given equivalent bodyfat levels, he's not significantly bigger than fighters like Joe Louis or Sonny Liston...perhaps slightly smaller.

Interestingly, Povetkin seems to move a lot like Louis.
If I remember right, Povetkin was on your prospect list of heavies, and you seemed up on him, but now????
( BTW, Semichin is Dr Vooh, just waiting to re - appear )
Old 08-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #38
Gunnar
Pre-Amateur

3-4
Gunnar is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #39
Sweden
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I believe Povetkin already at this early stage will do well against anyone in the division, except the Klitschkos.

I think he will outwork Byrd and win by a wide margin. Neither Chambers or Brock can touch him, and will also lose by a UD or a late KO.

Hopefully Povetkin will learn from his experience with Klitschko, as Samuel Peter did, and not fade like others have done when they have been prospects and lost to a superior boxer (Tua, Grant etc). I cannot see him beat the #1 guy, who has been untouchable for years, this early. Povetkin doesn't have the punch to KO Klitschko, and noone can beat him on points,so...

Povetkin would fair well against any of the other champions, but Klittschko is in a league of his own.
Sweden is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #40
semichin

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden
I believe Povetkin already at this early stage will do well against anyone in the division, except the Klitschkos.

I think he will outwork Byrd and win by a wide margin. Neither Chambers or Brock can touch him, and will also lose by a UD or a late KO.

Hopefully Povetkin will learn from his experience with Klitschko, as Samuel Peter did, and not fade like others have done when they have been prospects and lost to a superior boxer (Tua, Grant etc). I cannot see him beat the #1 guy, who has been untouchable for years, this early. Povetkin doesn't have the punch to KO Klitschko, and noone can beat him on points,so...

Povetkin would fair well against any of the other champions, but Klittschko is in a league of his own.
That's a good pernt ( point )
Old 08-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #41
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think something would have to go wrong with Klitschko for Povetkin to beat him but besides Klitschko, I think Povetkin can beat anybody around.

What makes Povetkin good isn't his physical ability. It's his mental ability. Timing, strategy. His ring smarts have carried him far in the amatuers and I think the Russian chessmaster will make a very good run in the pros. Considering how well he outboxed Larry Donald speaks volumes for his boxing ability. Chris Byrd is a most interesting test for Povetkin I suspect Povetkin's biggest drawback may be a lack of explosive one punch KO power

Also, physique doesn't always tell the entire story. I remember Gil Clancy once commented that old time trainers thought that a boxer with a Povetkin or Ibragimov type midsection could take a body shot better than somebody with six pack abs like Klitschko or Holyfield.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #42
huki
huk huk ^_^;;
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I've been saying that Povetkin is gonna be the #1 HW in a very short amount of time ever since I've registered here. The impression from most people that he looks to have the ability to beat anyone except Wlad isn't logical and will be proven untrue when he faces him in a match that should be HUGE for the division.

The hype Klitschko gets on here is insane. People are making him out to be unbeatable, even though he has only faced one real threat (a slugger without any technical skill, Samuel Peter) since losing to Brewster and he almost lost that match too. Although Wlad has the style to give Povetkin problems, Povetkin is a complete stylistic nightmare for Wlad. You'll see.
huki is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #43
Orang-Utan Jim
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Povetkin is good, but he will never be a dominant HW-Champion. He has no real weapon and he is too small and his reach is too short to be a long time dominator. We will see Klitschko vs. Povetkin in the first half of 2008, due to Povetkin likely winning the IBF-tournament, but then Povetkin will get outboxed and maybe stopped late.
Orang-Utan Jim is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #44
Pavlo_

Quote:
Originally Posted by huki
Although Wlad has the style to give Povetkin problems, Povetkin is a complete stylistic nightmare for Wlad
Is this what they call girl logic?
Pavlo_ is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #45
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
4 ) He will win a world title belt, defend it a few times, and claim the #1 spot by third party rating systems such as FightNews.com, Ring Magazine and Box Rec

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE WAY THEY MOVE HIM, HE HAS A GREAT AMATUER PEDIGREE BUT NEEDS TO BE MOVED RIGHT AND DEVELOPED AS A PRO, I LIKE THE WAY HE FIGHTS ON THE INSIDE BUT HIS DEFENCE NEEDS WORK AND HE WILL NEED A FINISHING TRAINER(A PRO TRAINER) AN AMERICAN EVENTUALLY.HE HAS THE POTENTIAL BUT I DON'T KNOW IF HE HAS THE BEST IN HIS CORNER TO ADVANCE AND BE THE BEST THAT HE CAN BE. HE CAN BE AN ATG OR JUST WIN A TITLE
Interesting post,bummy!

But why the hell does he need an American trainer?
I for my part would prefer watching one of the successful German coaches in his corner to watching him being in the same corner with one of those hired American guns like Buddy McGirt.
Odo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum