Old 08-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Name the best challenger these champions failed to meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Dempsey did knock out Sharkey to get his shot against Tunney. I think this put Sharkey a bit down as worthy challenger for the moment.
It is a complicated question.

While everybody knew full well that Sharkey was the best available challenger out there he might not have had the best claim to a title shot on paper.
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #17
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Dempsey did knock out Sharkey to get his shot against Tunney. I think this put Sharkey a bit down as worthy challenger for the moment.

I really don't think it hurt his status as much as enhance it. He was winning the fight, had Dempsey hurt bad in the 1st and the controversial ending as well as Dempsey's remarks after the fight really had national attention. Not to mention Sharkey's crazy antics which kept him on the sports pages. Sharkey was boxoffice and I really think Tunney-Sharkey would have been a natural.

Scartissue
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #18
Sam Dixon
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
It is a complicated question.

While everybody knew full well that Sharkey was the best available challenger out there he might not have had the best claim to a title shot on paper.
Speaking of "on paper", Tunney actually signed to meet Jack Sharkey, and they had an agreement to meet each other in MSG on Feb 5th of 1926, but Tunney had a change of plans for whatever reason(s), and he ended up being ridiculed and/or pressured some by the NYSAC, the press, as well as Sharkey himself for not going through with the fight and honouring the agreement.
Sam Dixon is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #19
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Dixon
Speaking of "on paper", Tunney actually signed to meet Jack Sharkey, and they had an agreement to meet each other in MSG on Feb 5th of 1926, but Tunney had a change of plans for whatever reason(s), and he ended up being ridiculed and/or pressured some by the NYSAC, the press, as well as Sharkey himself for not going through with the fight and honouring the agreement.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #20
Sam Dixon
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

No problem, Janitor.
Sam Dixon is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #21
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

in lennox lewis case it was ike ibeabuchi but you can't blame him for that
Mike tyson never got to fight tim witherspoon but that was not his problem
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 04:47 PM   #22
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

terrible tim could of give tyson some great problems. he had potential
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #23
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
Holmes does not have a "Super" in his name. We all know the winner would have to be Super to be able to beat Holmes lol.
Zactly!!!

Last edited by OnePunchKO; 05-17-2006 at 01:52 PM.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #24
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Who do people think is the most deserving challenger that Joe Louis failed to meet?

My vote would go to Jimmy Bivins.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #25
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Who do people think is the most deserving challenger that Joe Louis failed to meet?

I second the motion.

Scartissue
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #26
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue
I really don't think it hurt his status as much as enhance it. He was winning the fight, had Dempsey hurt bad in the 1st and the controversial ending as well as Dempsey's remarks after the fight really had national attention. Not to mention Sharkey's crazy antics which kept him on the sports pages. Sharkey was boxoffice and I really think Tunney-Sharkey would have been a natural.

Scartissue
Heenan drew with Sharkey and Uzcudun to get the title shot vs Tunney for a fresh face,Sharkey being Ko'd by Dempsey still dropped his standing
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #27
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue
I believe Gene Tunney avoided Jack Sharkey. Sharkey had beaten George Godfrey, Harry Wills, Jimmy Maloney and had that crazy fight with Dempsey which splashed him across the media despite the loss. Drawing with Heeney and then Tunney choosing Heeney as the challenger was grasping for a life preserver because Sharkey was the box office attraction at this time, not Heeney. I believe it would have been a great fight.

If there was anyone Joe Louis could have fought and didn't, I think it would have been Jimmy Bivins, primarily because he held the duration title while Louis was in the service. But this is thin since Louis fought everyone.

If there was anyone Marciano didn't fight (and I won't use the word 'avoided' with Marciano) it would have been Nino Valdez. Beat Charles the year before Marciano's 2 fights with Ezzard and should have been given the shot instead of Don ****ell. And BTW, he stopped ****ell in 3 after Don's fight with the Rock.

Just like I believe Al Weill was the guy who avoided Valdez, I believe it was Cus D'Amato who avoided Zora Folley. How long was he number 1 contender or at least top three? I think throughout the '56-'62 era in which Patterson held the title.

Scartissue
Valdez did beat Charles in a close one but was coming off 4 losses in 53 to Baker(who was Ko'd by Moore and Satterfield in 1) Harold Johnson(who was KO'd by Moore)Billy Gilliam(who Charles beat in his next fight) and Archie Moore beat him also. Charles had a spectacular 2RD ko over Satterfield (who KO'd Baker(Valdez conqueror) and KO'd Coley Wallace in 8rds to jump ahead of Valdez(who won a disputed decision over Archie McBride) Valdez was supposed to get a shot but lost to Archie Moore again for elimination and then was dropped and dominated by Satterfield. I think there may have been a generous window of opportunity for Valdez in 54 but he was overshadowed by more deserving opponents because of his 4 losses in 53 and 2 in 1955. Marciano's record was spotless and the only easy defence was the nose tester vs ****ell but the follow up was vs the feared and well deserved Archie Moore
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #28
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
Charles had a spectacular 2RD ko over Satterfield (who KO'd Baker(Valdez conqueror)
I had never seen this fight untill it recently appeared on YouTube. Great fight and one hell of a one-punch left hook knockout that layed Satterfield out cold.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #29
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Yes, but Louis was in the service and I think therefore I would pass on Bivins and say Elmer Ray. Louis could conceivably have fought him in 1946 or 1947.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #30
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
Yes, but Louis was in the service and I think therefore I would pass on Bivins and say Elmer Ray. Louis could conceivably have fought him in 1946 or 1947.
We are not acusing people of ducking or aportioning bame here. Just naming the most deserving challenger they did not fight for whatever reason.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum