Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 03:21 AM   #46
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Couture CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende
- He throws to the body without setting the punch up
- No classic head movement
- Looping punches aren't technically sound. They might work but that's not the point here.
- He leaves himself open for counters(that's not always a problem cause he can take a punch)

He punches well in MMA and has developped a style that has worked well for him. But against Rampage he met someone who was able to take advantage of Liddels lack of fundamentals. Throwing a body punch as a lead and going backwards in a straight line with your hands at the hip equals a lack of boxing technique. I say he could improve in that area. Again, the fact that he made his style work for him is that he has natural talents like speed accuracy and crazy power, says not everything about his technique.
- You don't need to set a body shot up.
- I've already said his defence is where he is average
- He loops shots because he wants to maintain distance BUT he gets more leverage into his blows
- How does he leave himself open for counters? His game to have you to commit so he can make you pay.

In Rampage he met someone with a top boxing defence in MMA. Going to the body in MMA is always a risky business. Its an area you have to simplify because of being open for different things.

He hasn't got crazy speed and accuracy isn't a talent.

Chuck has some top skills. Him just being heavy handed is a ridiculous comment.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #47
Duende
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: amsterdam
Posts: 113
vCash: 942
Default Re: Couture CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
- You don't need to set a body shot up.
- I've already said his defence is where he is average
- He loops shots because he wants to maintain distance BUT he gets more leverage into his blows
- How does he leave himself open for counters? His game to have you to commit so he can make you pay.

In Rampage he met someone with a top boxing defence in MMA. Going to the body in MMA is always a risky business. Its an area you have to simplify because of being open for different things.

He hasn't got crazy speed and accuracy isn't a talent.

Chuck has some top skills. Him just being heavy handed is a ridiculous comment.
- You do need to set up a body shot otherwise you make yourself too vulnerable.
- His defense is less than average IMO
-The fact that he makes his punches work in MMA says nothing about good boxing fundamentals.
- He leaves himself open for counters by not covering up or pulling straight back.

I didn't say he has crazy speed, I said he has crazy power. And accuracy is IMO a talent. You can develop it, but it takes talent to be able to land right on the button everytime when under pressure.
Duende is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #48
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Couture CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf
Did you even read what i said? This is MMA not boxing.
Correct.But guess what Sherlock a massive part of MMA is hand to hand combat using boxing skills.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #49
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 1550
Default Re: Couture CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Correct.But guess what Sherlock a massive part of MMA is hand to hand combat using boxing skills.
Are you kidding me... you seriously need to hone up those reading skills bro. You absolutely, unequivocally fail to make a connection between "wrestling to MMA" is as "boxing to MMA". One more time, you cannot judge someones wrestling skills by watching them do MMA as you cannot judge someones boxing skills watching them do MMA. Do you really not understand that? Are you one of those people who thinks that if a boxer comes in a cage he will dominate? Or even just the stand up?
ufoalf is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #50
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Couture CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf
Are you kidding me... you seriously need to hone up those reading skills bro. You absolutely, unequivocally fail to make a connection between "wrestling to MMA" is as "boxing to MMA". One more time, you cannot judge someones wrestling skills by watching them do MMA as you cannot judge someones boxing skills watching them do MMA. Do you really not understand that? Are you one of those people who thinks that if a boxer comes in a cage he will dominate? Or even just the stand up?
Are you being ****ing stupid? Because now your pissing me off.For ****s sake this is ****ing elimentary.Im not interested in HOW Liddell`s adapted his skills to the cage, or how his evolved his boxing in MMA.Im evaluating his boxing skills for what they ****ing are BOXING SKILLS end off.This is not difficult to understand or comprehend.If you want a debate on semantics PM Achilles.

Last edited by zivic1941; 05-22-2006 at 10:12 PM.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #51
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Couture CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende
- You do need to set up a body shot otherwise you make yourself too vulnerable.
- His defense is less than average IMO
-The fact that he makes his punches work in MMA says nothing about good boxing fundamentals.
- He leaves himself open for counters by not covering up or pulling straight back.

I didn't say he has crazy speed, I said he has crazy power. And accuracy is IMO a talent. You can develop it, but it takes talent to be able to land right on the button everytime when under pressure.
You don't need to set up a body shot. You won't be to vulnerable. You could argue you need to set up every shot but you don't. It all depends. In fact I'm sure Chuck does set it up with a left hand. He throws the left to get Jackson to lift his gloves up and then puts the hook in.

He doesn't have a great defence but he neglects it for offence. He wants to use his feet for defence. He keeps his hands open because he wants you to commit so he can counter.

Like I said, he loops his punches. Not sure if there is a boxer in BOXING HISTORY that has 100% text book punches. Fighters adapt their punches depending on what they want out of them. Chuck does the same.

His defence isn't covering up, he uses his feet. Covering up means he is in position to wrestle and he doesn't like going to the ground. Loads of boxers predominantly rely on footwork as their main line of defence.

Accuracy has nothing to do with talent. It is intelligence that allows you to land accurately.

All you've established is that Chuck doesn't have an amazing defence - ONE thing! Plus Chuck doesn't have a bad defence, his footwork sees to it he is usually out of danger. How many shots does Chuck get caught with? Not that many. Jackson cuffed him with one prior to the ko. Because he is shifting his head, he isn't getting caught clean much. He has class footwork, solid punching and and average defence. ONE weak area which has been done that way out of design so he can be more offensive.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #52
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 1550
Default Re: Couture CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Are you being ****ing stupid? Because now your pissing me off.For ****s sake this is ****ing elimentary.Im not interested in HOW Liddell`s adapted his skills to the cage, or how his evolved his boxing in MMA.Im evaluating his boxing skills for what they ****ing are BOXING SKILLS end off.This is not difficult to understand or comprehend.If you want a debate on semantics PM Achilles.
Thanks for confirming that you can't read. I was just making sure.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #53
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Couture CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf
Thanks for confirming that you can't read. I was just making sure.
No problem stupid
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #54
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 1550
Default Re: Couture CC

I'm the one who's stupid?

Our converstation(simplified):

Me: Can't really judge Liddell's boxing skills by just looking at MMA matches.

You: That wasn't the point, Liddell's skill is inferior to CC.

Me: You cant judge someones boxing ability if you only saw them do MMA. It's like Koschek vs GSP wrestling wise.

You: I dont see your point, Koschek would own GSP in pure wrestling. This is MMA not wrestling, I'm judging Liddell's boxing in MMA.

Me: You say Koschek is a good wrestler after seeing him getting OWNED in wrestling FUNDAMENTALS in MMA, while saying Liddell has no fundamentals in boxing just by watchin him do MMA. This is MMA not boxing.

You: WAA, waa, waa! I'm only judging boxing skills from watching him do MMA.

Me: Mmk. Good counter point...


Liddell has only been doing this for like 20 years, I'm sure he'll get to practicing boxing fundamentals soon...
ufoalf is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #55
oblate
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 404
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Couture CC

even though courture has been doing awesome things and cro cop got knocked out cold in his last fight i still think cro cop would wreck him. cro cop is lighter and quicker on his feet then gonzaga and would have a better chance avoiding the clinch. gonzaga was able to land some pretty good shots on couture. cro cop is a much more effective striker. not to mention hes a south paw.
oblate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #56
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 4,063
vCash: 3450
Default Re: Couture CC

I think he would be way worse off then Gonzaga was, Randy had to watch strikes and Gonzaga's ground game that's why he used the fence and didn't put him down until he knew Gonzaga was gassed, Cro cop would be beat in the clinch and on the ground, he would have to land a big LHK or punches.He's too 1 dimensional for Couture.
AJAX is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013