Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Extensive Amateur Careers - Damaging?

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Fights with extreme amounts of amateur contests, with that unbelievable pedigree, seem to burn out. Regardless of the amateur fights being only a few rounds.

Oliver McCall had something like 20 amateur fights and he's better post 40 than ever, and no one's going to peg Oliver McCall as an ATG. But he's got longetivity.

Donald Curry though had over 400 amateur bouts and he was completely gone just a few years in.

Thoughts?
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Extensive Amateur Careers - Damaging?

Well, in some ways, it hurt Donald Curry, and probably Bernard Taylor too, especially Taylor.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

there have been quite a few fighters that left there better days in the amatuers. There is a lot of experienced to be gained there especially in international compettition with the best fighters in the world. From state to state to Nation to Nation the best meet. However one must be carefull not to get fully aclamated to the amatuer point system and the way they get points (not totally power shots) and there are also injurys that can occur in the non-paid ranks. A lot of Klitscko(Vitali) injurys are from over 100 kick fighting bouts and over 100 amatuer fights. Shaun O'Sullivan is another example of leaving it in the amatuers
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

How about Breland?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Yeah, Breland had over 200 amateur fights. I think. Not sure an amatuer had so much hype surrounding him when making the step to the pro's. He done reasonably well as a pro, but not what everyone expected. The comparision was drawn with the likes of Hearns and Robinson before he even had his first pro fight.

Last edited by SuzieQ49; 06-01-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'm still wondering of spending so much time in the amatuers has yet to hurt Alexander Povetkin. Yes, he has beaten some very good fighters thus far and is showing promise, but at 28 years old, he has but 15 pro fights, and if he fights Wlad presumably in late 08 or early 09, it may prove to be a bad loss.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I'm still wondering of spending so much time in the amatuers has yet to hurt Alexander Povetkin. Yes, he has beaten some very good fighters thus far and is showing promise, but at 28 years old, he has but 15 pro fights, and if he fights Wlad presumably in late 08 or early 09, it may prove to be a bad loss.
I agree, experience can only help Povetkin but I guess his management figure he can comeback from a loss to Vlad, Alex did not show top quality in his win over Chambers in fact good thing those right hands Chambers landed were not from Vlad. I would keep Alex busy, a fight a month over top 20 opponents and keep him learning as a pro
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
I agree, experience can only help Povetkin but I guess his management figure he can comeback from a loss to Vlad, Alex did not show top quality in his win over Chambers in fact good thing those right hands Chambers landed were not from Vlad. I would keep Alex busy, a fight a month over top 20 opponents and keep him learning as a pro
As a rated contender in 2008, he'll never fight once per month, at least not in this era. Word is, Wlad is planning to fight Povetkin after he defends against Tony Thompson this summer. Assuming Wlad doesn't choke against Thompson, that leaves Povetkin less than a year to prepare. My guess, is that he will probably fight once or twice between now and then, and likely against safer opposition so not to ruin his chances at a multi-million dollar payday.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Breland was 110-1, I think.
ThinBlack is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum