Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #16
Nawfal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: why do people still doubt cotto??

i think if cotto beats mosely, that will be it
Nawfal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #17
ChampionsForever
ESB VIP
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

He's never been the underdog in a fight yet, this pretty much makes him a "protected" fighter meaning every new opponant will expose him.

He will beat SSM tho.
ChampionsForever is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #18
unclepaulie
Run like an antelope!
ESB Addict

vCash: 541

cotto has such a style where, on paper its easy to beat him. you stay on the outside and use your feet to stay away while keeping him away with your jab. thing is no one has successfully done that yet, and i dont think mosley will
unclepaulie is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
Nawfal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Yeh this is Cotto's big change to make believers out of the doubters, Im picking him to get the decision over Mosley. Cotto beating Mosley will catapult him into the top 5 pound-for-pound fighters in the sport at the moment, Hatton has been riding of the great win over Kosta for a while now, Cotto has the chance to do the same if he can beat Mosley in decisive fashion.
yeah i see it this way
Nawfal is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #20
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I love the guys style, hard punching pressure fighter, but he has shown a shakey chin at times, still the guy never had a bad fight
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
Antwuan Maxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Boom
malignaggi was suppose to outbox him?

that is such bullcrap, Malignaggi was suppose to be Ko'd within 5, it was a shock that he WAS able to outbox Cotto in quite a few rounds.
Not true at all. By fight night, Cotto-Malignaggi was damn near a pick em fight. Many were already picking Paulie to outpoint Cotto, and many more expected the same after how bad Cotto looked physically during the week of the fight. On Boxingtalk.com 4 out of 7 writers picked Paulie to win by decision.

Paulie won rounds strictly by outworking Cotto, not outboxing him. Even George Foreman said during the fight, when Cotto was working the fight wasn't that competitive.
Antwuan Maxx is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #22
duran83
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
since he became champ at 140lb's people have been saying before every one of his fights that "this time he will get exposed" "this time his chin will let him down" etc etc

everytime somebody was supposed to "beat" him he came out more ruthless than ever and proved the critics wrong,

malignaggi and quintana were 'supposed' to outbox him and judah was a better "finisher" than chop chop and torres and was supposed to be the one who stops the hype,

now we hear that shane mosley is an EVEN better "finisher" than zab though i dont doubt this (shane is my favourite fighter along with cotto and i have seen what he can do!) i think it is stupid people still bringing up the corley and torres fight, corley also rocked floyd, torres has 28 ko's out of 30 fights and cotto also has come a long way since those fights

each and everytime cotto fights he is about to get "exposed"
Wat u talking about? The guy was heavy odds on in everyone of his fights you mention, only the nuthuggers say he was supposed to get beat, each one of these fights it would have been a shock if he had lost, lets see him in with Mosley this will be his hardest fight on paper to date.
duran83 is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #23
duran83
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem4Swtscie
Hahahahahahaahahahahaha.....you don't have to fight Cotto from the outside. In fact that strategy is the most simplisticly obvious. If you have the ability to utilize better footwork or if you have better footspeed, then take advantage of it.

But you can also sit in the pocket with Cotto if you are not at a strength disadvantage, punching power disadvantage or chin disadvantage.

First you want to look at who is fighting Cotto and stop with all the generalizations about who or what Cotto is.

Shane has:

Faster hands & feet.

Shane is as:

Strong or stronger than Cotto physically.

Shane has shown:

a better chin.

Shane can fight:

on the inside and outside.

Shane can use:

his counterpunching skills, he can choose to sit down on his shots on the inside with Cotto, he can use his jab, to score points and kill time.

Why do you people keep making this mistake that Shane is the smaller guy moving up, at an older age, to fight this young super strong bull?

That isn't the case. Shane is older true, but he is not smaller, he is not moving up, he isn't the lesser versatile fighter.

Cotto has a very tall order in front him.

Bob Arum is betting on the possibility that Shane's age, and loss of maybe that 6th gear he use to possess will be enough of an opening for Cotto to gain a win in a tough fight.

That's always possible, but I think it is unlikely. I think Shane is more than capable of handily defeating Cotto.
I agree with most you say there, but i disagree about Mosley being stronger, i think Cotto is naturally stronger than Mosley.
duran83 is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #24
1lehudson
Champion
East Side Guru

Cotto is a good fighter but he is a very flawed fighter, which is the reason that so many people like him. Guy like Jones(in his prime), and Floyd are not flawed fighters or are too good in one area for anyone to expose those flaws, which is the reason that so many hate them.

I think that people doubt cotto because even though is hasnt stepped up to the elite class of fighters yet, he has been close in several fights to being knocked out. Corley had him out on his feet and almost out, as did Torres, and Abduleav. I think that very few have confidence in Cotto's chin. I think that he is a nasty KO waiting to happen.
1lehudson is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #25
1lehudson
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by duran83
I agree with most you say there, but i disagree about Mosley being stronger, i think Cotto is naturally stronger than Mosley.
doubtful, Mosley can benchpress 315 12 times

Bet cotto can do 250 10
1lehudson is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #26
brick city
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I like Mosley to win because he's fast, strong and a very smart fighter. I also would like to add that I think J. Clottey blows Cotto out in five rounds.
brick city is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #27
He Hate Me
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
since he became champ at 140lb's people have been saying before every one of his fights that "this time he will get exposed" "this time his chin will let him down" etc etc

everytime somebody was supposed to "beat" him he came out more ruthless than ever and proved the critics wrong,

malignaggi and quintana were 'supposed' to outbox him and judah was a better "finisher" than chop chop and torres and was supposed to be the one who stops the hype,

now we hear that shane mosley is an EVEN better "finisher" than zab though i dont doubt this (shane is my favourite fighter along with cotto and i have seen what he can do!) i think it is stupid people still bringing up the corley and torres fight, corley also rocked floyd, torres has 28 ko's out of 30 fights and cotto also has come a long way since those fights

each and everytime cotto fights he is about to get "exposed"
Your back to your old tricks give it a break cotto's time will come stop rushing it.
He Hate Me is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #28
Antwuan Maxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick city
I like Mosley to win because he's fast, strong and a very smart fighter. I also would like to add that I think J. Clottey blows Cotto out in five rounds.
How can you say that when in his toughest fights, he's shown no ability to adjust what so ever. Take away Mosley's cat like reflexes and you have a very mediocre fighter. A lot of you mistake flash for substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick city
I also would like to add that I think J. Clottey blows Cotto out in five rounds.
Based on what exactly? Did you even see Clottey-Flores? Joshua "pitty pat, front running" Clottey aint stopping Cotto or any other top welterweight for that matter.
Antwuan Maxx is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #29
He Hate Me
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawfal
hes not fought an elite fighter yet. i think thats why
If you disagree with clueless, typo i mean relentless he becomes agressive. Cotto is his prize posession.
He Hate Me is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #30
the_what
Bolo Punch KO
ESB Addict

Papa Jack throws in the white towel after 8 rounds. Nosley retires after the beating.
the_what is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum