Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #31
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South-East/Greater London.
Posts: 16,250
vCash: 1987
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Foreman via stoppage in rounds 5-8.
TommyV is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #32
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,632
vCash: 238
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Foreman never proved he could beat a skilled boxer with a decent jaw. Vitali has all the characteristics that bother Foreman stylistically:

-Foreman can't bull him around or intimidate him; in fact, Vitali is the bigger man here
-Klitschko has an iron chin
-Klitschko is pretty hard to hit because of his combination of size, awkwardness and speed.
-The workrate of Vitali (~70 punches a round) will make sure that Foreman has to fight hard and can't pace himself.


The only way i can see Foreman winning if he gets the big Ukrainian out of there inside 5 rounds, after that he runs out of gas. But i think Klitschko will prove to have a combination of durability, defence and return-fire that will see him make it to the mid/late rounds of the fight where he will take complete control by stopping Big George.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #33
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
Foreman never proved he could beat a skilled boxer with a decent jaw. Vitali has all the characteristics that bother Foreman stylistically:

-Foreman can't bull him around or intimidate him; in fact, Vitali is the bigger man here
-Klitschko has an iron chin
-Klitschko is pretty hard to hit because of his combination of size, awkwardness and speed.
-The workrate of Vitali (~70 punches a round) will make sure that Foreman has to fight hard and can't pace himself.


The only way i can see Foreman winning if he gets the big Ukrainian out of there inside 5 rounds, after that he runs out of gas. But i think Klitschko will prove to have a combination of durability, defence and return-fire that will see him make it to the mid/late rounds of the fight where he will take complete control by stopping Big George.
I hate to admit it, but this is kind of how I see things unfolding too.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #34
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
frazier was far removed. just take a look at photos...Frazier was fat and blubbery in 1973 compared to the trim rock solid 205lb frazier of 1960s. He also looked dreadful in his two 1972 title defenses...

Micheal Moorer was prime and while I agree that Frazier was slipping, I stand by my ascertion that he was not far removed from peak. Why? Most historians and experts will tell you that his best performance was FOTC. When Joe fought Foreman, he was 29 years of age, had never lost and was less than two years removed from his best fight. If you try and tell me that the FOTC took too much out of him, then I ask you to explain how he nearly duplicated the feat in Manilla 4 years later, in a match that I personally feel ( as well as others ), was equally as grueling. Watch it sometime if you haven't..

I'll compromise by saying that Frazier was slipping. He was about 8 or 9 lbs over his best weight, not fighting as active and spending time playing in some band he was in rather than focussing 100 percent on boxing.

But completely shot? No dice........
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #35
djanders
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
Foreman via stoppage in rounds 5-8.
This has my vote.
djanders is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #36
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Quote:
=SuzieQ49;3881246]I highlighted the important part.
I'd say that the next part that followed was equally important considering that it addressed styles, physical differences, and the fact that Vitali was told 1 week prior to the Lewis fight that he was meeting the champ and not a fringe contender....... You have to look at the WHOLE picture suzie.....



Quote:
Btw, Vitali was the one floundering after round 6, not lennox. Vitali was well on his way to another quit job on his stool in the next 2-3 rounds
Lewis was behind on the cards, had taken some hard shots and was fading badly in that fight Suzie. Max Kellerman commented once that he had never seen Lewis flop down in his corner stool like that in his whole career.

To clearify, I think it was a good call on the part of the doctor to stop the fight. That cut was ugly and in boxing, you never know when one more punch is going to be too many. Klitschko may have lost vision in that eye. But, as for your comment about him being " well on his way to another quit job, " he sure as hell did not give me that impression when he found out that the match had been stopped... Lastly, I also fail to see how Vitali's fight with Lewis has anything to do with what would happen in a Klitschko - Foreman fight. There is far more to consider here than just the fact that Foreman hit hard and had easily beaten Joe Frazier. Foreman had nothing in common with Lennox Lewis.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #37
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YUL
Posts: 38,158
vCash: 5685
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Vitali in 10

However i do rate Vitali alot higher than everyone else.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #38
spittle8
Dropping Fisticuffs
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit/Camp Pendleton
Posts: 512
vCash: 1404
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Vitali by UD. I don't think Foreman would be able to handle the jabbing and power of Vitali, but I don't think Vitali can KO Foreman. The Rumble in the Jungle Foreman might gas and be stopped, but by that same token Foreman has serious power and punching prowess and may stop Vitali, but I doubt it. I think prime Vitali would utterly massacre comeback George.
spittle8 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #39
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Martha's Vineyard
Posts: 13,062
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Quote:
Foreman never proved he could beat a skilled boxer with a decent jaw.
Vitali is not skilled. Wlad? Yes

Quote:
Foreman never proved he could beat a skilled boxer with a decent jaw.
Vitali never proved he could beat a Prime ATG heavyweight. I would go as far to say vitali is the most unproven highly rated fighter of all time.

Quote:
-Foreman can't bull him around or intimidate him; in fact, Vitali is the bigger man here
No but Foreman can put on the kind of hurt that would make Vitali want to quit on his stool

Quote:
-Klitschko has an iron chin
but not an iron heart

Quote:
Klitschko is pretty hard to hit because of his combination of size, awkwardness and speed
I can see your point about ackwardness, but he does not have good speed. certainly not compared to Wlad. Even so, Corrie Sanders a fat 39 year old out of shape golfer had no trouble finding him early, I expect Foreman will find him early too. Also Vitali kept his left hand very low by his waist, Foreman is going to wail on him with that right hand over the top. Vitali tries to be cute by leaning back, but he doesnt have the athleticism speed or talent to do so against an elite prime fighter.

Quote:
The workrate of Vitali (~70 punches a round) will make sure that Foreman has to fight hard and can't pace himself.
Sure, but once foreman unleashes some bonecrushing shots vitalis workrate is going to slow down, especially if vitali slugs it out early with george which he will


Quote:

The only way i can see Foreman winning if he gets the big Ukrainian out of there inside 5 rounds
Which is highly probable. I could also see a case of Vitali quitting late in the fight.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #40
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,545
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
and the fact that Vitali was told 1 week prior to the Lewis fight that he was meeting the champ and not a fringe contender....... You have to look at the WHOLE picture suzie......
Lennox in an interview said he found out Vitali was his opponent around a week before but later heard Vitali's team did a deal with Johnson to step aside, paying him and promising him a title shot if/when Vitali won. Either way both were preparing for fights

Lennox was the 1 out of shape and old, Vitali was in shape, so obviously Vitali was better prepared
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #41
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Martha's Vineyard
Posts: 13,062
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Kirk johnson was a fat 260lb beached whale when he got in the ring vs Vitali, he was literally 25lb overweight. Larry Merchant said it right "He just harpooned the whale". Johnson was in no condition to fight, I remember watching his fight with ruiz...johnson weighed in 235lb vs ruiz and still lost(****in headbutts) so he wasnt that good anyway....His best win was his knockout over Maskaev.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #42
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Martha's Vineyard
Posts: 13,062
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Quote:
Lennox in an interview said he found out Vitali was his opponent around a week before but later heard Vitali's team did a deal with Johnson to step aside, paying him and promising him a title shot if/when Vitali won. Either way both were preparing for fights
Didn't Vitali test positive for steroids in 1996 which banned him from olympics? I believe this is asterisk worthy....
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #43
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Have you actually watched this fight recently I suggest you watch it again with the Lewis hating HBO commentary turned off

1. Lewis had no respect for Vitali's power and choose to walk through Vitali's shots to land his own. Vitali simply couldn't hurt Lewis (after the second rounds) despite landing freely on him
2. The cut happened in round 2, it didn't come from nowhere
3. Vitali was far more buzzed from lewis's shots than vice versa and ofcourse hung on from the uppercut, Lewis was landing more and more big shots
4. Vitali was slowing dramatically and Lewis landed more as the fight progressed
5. Both fighters were tiring Vitali too as he'd thrown his load after going for the KO after he got cut

All in all Klitschko fans take too many incorrect moral victories for this win. Bottom line is Vitali got his face torn open but also was hurt more than Lewis ever was in that bout and was very lucky to be 4-2 up anyway
Lewis took shots from Bruno, Briggs, Tua, and others. His chin was not that bad. The cut changed things, and Vitlai really wasn't ready for this fight because he took in on less than 2 weeks notice.

The cut happend in round three, not round two.

No--Vitlai was not tired after the 6th. We all saw how much energy he had left once he learned the fight was stopped. Lewis was the more tired of the two and shot his load going for the Ko. After round six ended Lewis crashed down on his stool. Luck had nothing to do with Vitali being up 4-2 all on cards. It was skill. The cut was more of a fluke than the fight was.

Fans need to get real. Foreman was a big puncher. He could scare lesser smaller heavies, and took a good shot. But he looked like crap vs Ali, Lyle and Young. Why? Maybe because these guys were good out fighters. Styles make fight here and Foreman is at a disavantage.

Vitali has the skill, the chin, the height, the weight, the smarts, the stamina, the foot speed, the ability to win by boxing, or brawling, the countering ability, and pretty much everything over Foreman, except for pure power. The longer the fight goes, the better for vitlai, and IMO Lewis his just as hard as Foreman did, but unlike Foreman kept his power in the mid to later rounds.

Foreman didn't Ko everyone either. In fact he took guys like Parelta ( spelling ) the distance.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #44
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

One of the punches George sometimes used was the strong left jab to the heart and Vitali's chest would be there to be hit.

Rough, tough fight with Foreman slamming home some uppercuts in Rd. 5 for TKO over Vitali.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #45
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really think that the majority of the forum is really selling Vitali Klitschko Short by presuming that Foreman would end this thing in 5 rounds. The irony of the situation is that I'M THE ONE who is usually defending the hell out of George Foreman against everyone else.......
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013