Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
bluebird
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 215
Default How hard do pro boxers hit compared to the average joe/amateur boxer?

Is it much harder in general or are most separated by skills, stamina, toughness and grit?

Got to say I've seen a few vids on youtube of pro boxers who don't seem to be hitting all that hard at all in the gym and have seen bigger punchers in person (hard to gauge I know).
bluebird is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
TheExpertboxer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: How hard do pro boxers hit compared to the average joe/amateur boxer?

A bit different with gloves on. a pro boxer isn't all about power he might be about accuracy and technique instead of loading up. It depends on the average joes technique. If his throws punches right I don't think it's dramatic.
TheExpertboxer is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794
Default Re: How hard do pro boxers hit compared to the average joe/amateur boxer?

maybe he dont hits so hard, but he hits.. average joe maybe hits harder but has no accuracy,experience,stamina etc.etc. and misses every shot
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
FightTime
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1437

Very Hard. Totally on different level. There are certain techniques to throw a punch and they know em all. Also they're much tougher and more fit than a average joe.
FightTime is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
MartyMaar
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain hook View Post
maybe he dont hits so hard, but he hits.. average joe maybe hits harder but has no accuracy,experience,stamina etc.etc. and misses every shot
lmao no, average joe punches are much weaker.
MartyMaar is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Brixton Bomber
Contender
ESB Senior Member

There are PLENTY of 'average joe's' that hit like f*cking trucks.

I've known a few people who have never trained a day in their life and they have scary power.
Brixton Bomber is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightTime View Post
Very Hard. Totally on different level. There are certain techniques to throw a punch and they know em all. Also they're much tougher and more fit than a average joe.
This blanket statement is completely off. I'm no pro boxer, but I can guarantee I could find pro boxers that I could out-punch in terms of power (That could be said for the majority of people before we have the whole "tough guy" discussion).

"Pro boxer" is a label we apply to an individual. Having this label in no way means said individual can punch on a "totally different level". It actually means nothing about their physical capabilities apart from they have passed a medical.

Quote:
There are PLENTY of 'average joe's' that hit like f*cking trucks.

I've known a few people who have never trained a day in their life and they have scary power.
This is closer to the mark. Applies to both pro boxer and average joe.

It always comes down to the individual.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #8
JonStevo10
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think everyone has missed a key point here.

TIMING.
JonStevo10 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think it was either Gil Clancy or Angelo Dundee that said that a pro fighter could literally tear off the average individual's head with punches.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
thehawk

vCash: 75

not really, some pros dont hit any harder than amatuers or natural punching non boxers in pure power. but they hit hard with every punch instead of one and done, and have better timing and accuracy.
thehawk is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
This blanket statement is completely off. I'm no pro boxer, but I can guarantee I could find pro boxers that I could out-punch in terms of power (That could be said for the majority of people before we have the whole "tough guy" discussion).

"Pro boxer" is a label we apply to an individual. Having this label in no way means said individual can punch on a "totally different level". It actually means nothing about their physical capabilities apart from they have passed a medical.

This is closer to the mark. Applies to both pro boxer and average joe.

It always comes down to the individual.
This is so far off base. My assumption is that you have no experience with pro level boxing? The idea of hitting hard is so vastly different among people that (a) practice hitting stuff for hours every day and (b) get hit a lot... the regular guy, even a hard working strong bar-fighting guy is not even in the same league.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
This is so far off base. My assumption is that you have no experience with pro level boxing? The idea of hitting hard is so vastly different among people that (a) practice hitting stuff for hours every day and (b) get hit a lot... the regular guy, even a hard working strong bar-fighting guy is not even in the same league.
You didn't get what I said at all.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
You didn't get what I said at all.
Explain then?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #14
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
Explain then?

Quote:

>>It always comes down to the individual.<<

Last edited by viru§™; 08-07-2014 at 10:38 AM.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think the point that everyone is missing here is.......wall sits.
Speechless is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing