Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-27-2007, 03:55 AM   #1
mochabuzz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Lou Duva

I have seen this 'trainer' in the corner of many different fighters over the years: Taylor, Bramble, Golota, Holyfield, Biggs....etc & i must say... He seems like a huge dumbass. He constantly screams advice in the ears of his fighters without giving any truly valuable strategy. He always used to bitch and complain to referees @ nauseum. From what i have seen he is pretty much a dumbass trainer who was lucky enough to have almost all of the 1984 olympians & several other boxing stars. It should also be noted that he cost Meldrick Taylor the Chavez fight in 1990 by giving him horrible advice before the final round and then diving unto the ring apron (thus distracted Taylor from responding to Steele's count)... Thoughts, Opinions on Lou....
mochabuzz is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 04:15 AM   #2
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Lou Duva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochabuzz
I have seen this 'trainer' in the corner of many different fighters over the years: Taylor, Bramble, Golota, Holyfield, Biggs....etc & i must say... He seems like a huge dumbass. He constantly screams advice in the ears of his fighters without giving any truly valuable strategy. He always used to bitch and complain to referees @ nauseum. From what i have seen he is pretty much a dumbass trainer who was lucky enough to have almost all of the 1984 olympians & several other boxing stars. It should also be noted that he cost Meldrick Taylor the Chavez fight in 1990 by giving him horrible advice before the final round and then diving unto the ring apron (thus distracted Taylor from responding to Steele's count)... Thoughts, Opinions on Lou....
From what I have gathered of seeing Duva, he was primarily in the corner to serve as a motivator, and of that he did a great job.
Usually Duva worked in tandem with a better X's and O's stategist like George Benton.

Duva fought tooth and nail and many times made a scene, but it was all for the benefit of his fighter.

The Meldrick Taylor incident, in knowing his fighter was in bad shape, he puposely went berzerk and climbed up to the ring ropes in hopes it would distract referee Richard Steele and buy Meldrick Taylor some time.
Obviously it did'nt work, although folks did'nt like the outcome of the fight, Steele did his job to the letter.

I would venture to guess that most of the fighters that Lou Duva has worked with have good things to say about him.

He's certainly is'nt perfect, but nobody really is, we're all human......
....but I have to respect a guy like Duva who had the passion to fight for his fighters!
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
cpnasty
Fight Fan 83
ESB Addict

When I think of him, I think of Whitaker and Golota
cpnasty is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Raggamuffin
You dipstick
ESB Full Member

vCash: 766

Duva's tantrums were hilarious and weel documentated
Raggamuffin is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

When I watch Duva on ESPN's Ringside as a guest speaker I can hardly understand him. The words coming out of his mouth... he sounds like he's muttering Swahili or something. I need to turn the closed captioning on.
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Duva came across as a motivator first and foremost, with George Benton being the main man for strategy. McCallum, Holyfield, Whitaker, among others done very well with these guys in their corner.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochabuzz
I don tthink he belongs with the Arcels,Futches,Bimsteins,Goldmans etc,he is too hot headed in a corner for me,too much grandstanding,I like a calm ,collected corner,with one man doing the talking.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

"Yer boxin' BEE-YOU-TIFUL, baby!"
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
Street Lethal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I have always thought of Duva as a big goober.
Street Lethal is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

You should have seen when Roger Mayweather popped him in the face after the Pazienza bout
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 11:08 PM   #11
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra33
You should have seen when Roger Mayweather popped him in the face after the Pazienza bout

.............I did! The only thing Mayweather ever did that I would applaud.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 12:48 AM   #12
mochabuzz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Duva just always seemed like a 'boob' in the corner.... he always had alot to yelll , but never much advice to give.
mochabuzz is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 03:27 AM   #13
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Well, he was there for some reason...besides, you gotta love his dedication to and love for boxing.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 06:18 AM   #14
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

An interesting a-side is that he trained Riddick Bowe for a spell, a couple of years prior to him turning pro.

Apparently he give him a number of chances before losing patience and was quoted as saying: "This guy lacks fighting heart, when the going gets tough he won't be there" - Futch then took Bowe under his wings and the rest is history. Those fights against Holyfield sure were wars.

Duva sure was passionate about his boxing, however given his hotheaded personality he could be a timebomb waiting to happen- bellowing out instructions with little cohesion. Especially at the point of a bout when a quiet word in the ear of your fighter might the best approach to take.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
An interesting a-side is that he trained Riddick Bowe for a spell, a couple of years prior to him turning pro.

Apparently he give him a number of chances before losing patience and was quoted as saying: "This guy lacks fighting heart, when the going gets tough he won't be there" - Futch then took Bowe under his wings and the rest is history. Those fights against Holyfield sure were wars.

Duva sure was passionate about his boxing, however given his hotheaded personality he could be a timebomb waiting to happen- bellowing out instructions with little cohesion. Especially at the point of a bout when a quiet word in the ear of your fighter might the best approach to take.
If what you say is true, then Duva was correct.
It turns out that Eddie Futch left Bowe, because Bowe was a problem who did'nt listen and took what should have been serious sessions in training for granted.

Eddie Futch, dumped Riddick Bowe!!!
divac is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum