Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #31
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Clottey could beat Cotto, but I think Cotto's skills and experience will get him to a UD win this time around.
boxingwizard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 12:50 AM   #32
Duhswag
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, Harlem
Posts: 618
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj415 View Post
Yea I already told you why this is a mistaken thought. Got anything else to add?
to land 3 or 4 punches cleanly before he moves out of range?

HOLY SHIT, Clottey is Meldrick Taylor in disguise!

Please! I'm tired of everyone saying all this bullshit about upper-cuts and right hands will daze Cotto. Are we saying every upper-cut and right hand will send Cotto on queer street? IF so why doesn't Cotto get dropped every fight? Why isn't he put on his ass every fight.

PLEASE NAME PEOPLE WHO HAVE DAZED COTTO!!
Margacheato?
Judah?
Corely?
Torres?

Who else?!
Notice two of them were in his weight drained 140 fights. . & one needed some plaster wraps
also Ricardo Torres is one of the biggest punchers in the Junior WW division!

and if you say Mosely dazed Cotto, show me video. For I have watched that fight numerous times and never noticed it.

Seriously . . Cotto's speed is evenly matched with Clottey? . . are you serious? I'm not even going to dignify that. .

I feel like this will be some similar to Miguel Cotto v. Oktay Urkal.
Duhswag is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #33
psychopath
D' "X" Factor
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In your . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WORST Nightmare
Posts: 13,225
vCash: 2065
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

This is another barn burner fight . . . a 50/50 fight.

Since Clottey is not a pressure fighter . . . Cotto will have the chance to dictate the pace of the fight. The first to get hurt and move away from the exchanges loses.

My pick Cotto by decission . . . it's gonna be close.
psychopath is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:09 AM   #34
Duhswag
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, Harlem
Posts: 618
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Everyones down to fight Cotto, Everyone thinks their chance in getting a title is to go through Cotto. . But not everyone is willing to get punched in the face again and again AND AGAIN by Cotto.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Truth of boxing.
Duhswag is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #35
psychopath
D' "X" Factor
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In your . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WORST Nightmare
Posts: 13,225
vCash: 2065
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhswag View Post
Everyones down to fight Cotto, Everyone thinks their chance in getting a title is to go through Cotto. . But not everyone is willing to get punched in the face again and again AND AGAIN by Cotto.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Truth of boxing.
good one.
psychopath is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #36
NeckBreaknAiken
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Respect The "U"
Posts: 10,510
vCash: 700
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj415 View Post
"CLOTTEY IS NOT A PRESSURE FIGHTER"

"CLOTTEY WILL BE STOPPED BY BODY SHOTS"

"COTTO WILL OUTBOX CLOTTEY EASILY"

========================================

Cotto fans have been touting "Bodyshots will kill Clottey with his high guard!"

Clottey has massive forearms and biceps. He TUCKS those massive arms in tight against his body. There is about 3-5 inches between his elbow and belt of his trunks directly in front of his opponent. It is not a big exposed area for a clean shot. There is a target but it is very small.

Blah, blah, blah....
I have to agree with the Cotto fans...

This post is a waste of time. Not because there is anything wrong with it though. It's because Cottoo fans are by far the most faithful and delusional fans in boxing. Cotto is a great fighter, but he has glaring limitations like everyone else. Let these guys tell it, and Cotto would whip Sugar Ray and Hearns.

Anyway, Cotto has the skillset to give Clottey problems. But he will not make Clottey respect him. He doesn't have the power. No one in the WW does. While he has good power, Clottey has a chin better than Margarito's. And as far as all this talk of body attack: Cotto doesn't stand a chance there. None. And Cotto isn't the strategical wizrd everyone thinks he is, also. And his chin is DEFINITELY not his strong point.

But fret not, my friend. Come June 13th you will get the last laugh. And I won't have to hear a peep out of VARG, Capitan and Braveheart.

Clottey TKO10.
NeckBreaknAiken is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:38 AM   #37
FanManII
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 670
vCash: 972
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Cotto shocks the boxing world in this one.
Cotto KO Clottey round 9
FanManII is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 AM   #38
Rui
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 879
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Who cares about styles?

Cotto will beat Clottey because Cotto is so much better than the slower, less skilled Clottey. Cotto is undefeated; Margarito is a dirty cheater.
Rui is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 AM   #39
Babality
KTFO!!!!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 1728
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeckBreaknAiken View Post
I have to agree with the Cotto fans...

This post is a waste of time. Not because there is anything wrong with it though. It's because Cottoo fans are by far the most faithful and delusional fans in boxing. Cotto is a great fighter, but he has glaring limitations like everyone else. Let these guys tell it, and Cotto would whip Sugar Ray and Hearns.

Anyway, Cotto has the skillset to give Clottey problems. But he will not make Clottey respect him. He doesn't have the power. No one in the WW does. While he has good power, Clottey has a chin better than Margarito's. And as far as all this talk of body attack: Cotto doesn't stand a chance there. None. And Cotto isn't the strategical wizrd everyone thinks he is, also. And his chin is DEFINITELY not his strong point.

But fret not, my friend. Come June 13th you will get the last laugh. And I won't have to hear a peep out of VARG, Capitan and Braveheart.

Clottey TKO10.
What evidence do you have that suggests Clottey's chin is better than Margarito's?
Babality is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #40
konaman
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,691
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

No doubt it will be a very competitive fight. I think Clottey has the style to give Cotto all sorts of problems but isn't consistent enough to win more rounds than Cotto. I think Cotto will edge out a close decision.
konaman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:07 AM   #41
NeckBreaknAiken
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Respect The "U"
Posts: 10,510
vCash: 700
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babality View Post
What evidence do you have that suggests Clottey's chin is better than Margarito's?
The evidence that people used to determine that Margarito had such a granite chin... Look at his fights. Margo has been rocked, even before Shane. But when was the last time (since his first fight as a pro) have you ever seen Clottey even remotely dazed or stunned? None. Look at him against Margarito. He was never even close to being hurt in that fight after absorbing a compubox record number of punches.
NeckBreaknAiken is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #42
Babality
KTFO!!!!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 1728
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeckBreaknAiken View Post
The evidence that people used to determine that Margarito had such a granite chin... Look at his fights. Margo has been rocked, even before Shane. But when was the last time (since his first fight as a pro) have you ever seen Clottey even remotely dazed or stunned? None. Look at him against Margarito. He was never even close to being hurt in that fight after absorbing a compubox record number of punches.
Still doesn't prove it. Clottey has MUCH better defense than Margarito.

Margarito fight is one fight. He might have taken a lot of punches there but in his career I'm sure he has absorbed a hell of a lot less. Margo did that every fight.
Babality is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #43
NeckBreaknAiken
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Respect The "U"
Posts: 10,510
vCash: 700
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaman View Post
No doubt it will be a very competitive fight. I think Clottey has the style to give Cotto all sorts of problems but isn't consistent enough to win more rounds than Cotto. I think Cotto will edge out a close decision.
There's no doubt in my mind if this fight is even close the judges will give it to Cotto. Why can't he win a big fight outside of MSG???

Is that too much too ask from the sensitive-ass Cotto fans?
NeckBreaknAiken is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:11 AM   #44
NeckBreaknAiken
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Respect The "U"
Posts: 10,510
vCash: 700
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babality View Post
Still doesn't prove it. Clottey has MUCH better defense than Margarito.
No such thing as proof. You really can't prove it one way or another until you see what it takes to bring him down. It's only a matter of opinion really at this point until that happens.
NeckBreaknAiken is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:12 AM   #45
Machine
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 564
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why Clottey beats Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj415 View Post
"CLOTTEY IS NOT A PRESSURE FIGHTER"

"CLOTTEY WILL BE STOPPED BY BODY SHOTS"

"COTTO WILL OUTBOX CLOTTEY EASILY"

========================================

Cotto fans have been touting "Bodyshots will kill Clottey with his high guard!"

Clottey has massive forearms and biceps. He TUCKS those massive arms in tight against his body. There is about 3-5 inches between his elbow and belt of his trunks directly in front of his opponent. It is not a big exposed area for a clean shot. There is a target but it is very small.

What IS exposed and what Cotto can TRY is to land BEHIND his arms, sort of the kidney area. Clottey keeps his elbows tucked but they are still in FRONT. Cotto can lean in plant his front foot way past Clotteys and rip a shot or two to the body and try finishing to the head.

Whats the flipside to this? Counterpunching. To land shots big body shots cleanly, Cotto has to lean way in past Clotteys guard, and :

1) lower his head,
2 ) drop his lead hand

to land that left hook behind clotteys tucked elbow.

What's the problem with that ? Body punching is more telegraphed then head punching, and counter-punchers punish opponents that go to the body.

What plays right into the hands of a good counterpuncher?

1) Telegraphed shots
2) Leaky defense

Body shots are much more predictable then head shots.

Cotto's chin will be literally right there in front of Clottey to get two, three even four punches on it clean before he gets out of range / ducks. Even if you want to give the speed advantage to Cotto (which I say its even, Clottey did not look slow by any means against the speedster Judah) The punishment he will take for landing these bodyshots will deter him from attempting this repeatedly.

So if Cotto makes this a big part of his gameplan, it will play right into one of CLOTTEYs biggest strength, clean accurate and fast counterpunching.




Now.... the other thing you hear is that "Clottey is not a pressure fighter !"

He does not throw nearly as much as Margarito, but mark my words he will land more punches each round. Want me to type that again?

Clottey will not throw as many punches as Margarito did against Cotto, but Clottey will land more punches each round then MArgo did.




"But how is this possible??"

Clottey punches are probably the most accurate of anyone in the whole division. If anyone is as accurate its Cotto. But coupled with Clotteys style, defense and speed he doesn't need to throw as many punches to land! Again we know Cotto can be hit. He has a solid D but it is hardly impenetrable.

Clottey will be walking Cotto down each round, throwing less punches, but more accurate and clean punches then Margarito did. Cotto will have no breathing space in this fight.

Cotto is a great boxer/puncher. HOWEVER he does have holes in his defense and is able to be hit as he is time and time again in his fights against good opponents who wobble him. Do people really think that one of the cleanest, crispest punchers in the division in Clottey is going to have a hard time finding a target through Cotto's proven defensive liabilities?

Lastly, if Cotto trys to box, stick and move on the outside, it will be his undoing

Clottey will walk him down with the high guard, absorb his blows on his hands and arms, and land his own uppercuts, hooks and straight rights, with Cotto's back stuck against the ropes absorbing these blows. It will be one-sided.


Clottey is a bad style matchup for most, and Cotto definitely fits the billing. Clottey TKO 11 Cotto.
Have you ever boxed before? You seem to have a very rudimentary understanding of how boxing works. There's just so many misguided statements I'm not sure where to start, yet you talk like you're some kind of boxing professor.
Machine is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013