Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Frazier-Marciano

Once and for all, who was better head-to-head?

Is it fair to say that Frazier improved on Marciano's pressure fighting style? If so, is Smokin' Joe at the pinnacle of pressure fighters?

Who could Rocky hypothetically beat that Frazier couldn't and vice versa?

No 'accomplishments' should come to consideration. We're talking strictly about styles and traits here.
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Frazier-Marciano

You should be asking "Which will win, a good left hook vs a good straight right?" because IMO that's all either of them had.

I like Frazier better personally, but I gotta say I think the Rock takes it.
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Marciano also had a good left hook himself, It was the left that lay out Matthews and Charles. Marciano could bang with both punchs.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 944

This would be brutal, neither figher would give in. I see Frazier being stopped late rounds in a match that leave both heavily injured.
garymcfall is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Total pick'em. Total war. I'd pay big bucks to see it, especially if it was a fight to the finish, but a 15 rounder would suffice as well.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Muchmoore

vCash:

Both are great fighters but Marciano is the more sturdier fighter and has the better stamina and that makes the difference. Frazier certainly had good stamina but Marciano was a freak, this is an all out war that ends with Marciano winning maybe by late KO or UD 9-6.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The Frazier that fought Ali in the first fight had monster stamina too. This is not that easy to pick. Remember, Marciano was no more than 190 and 5'10", so I don't think he would be able to do to Joe what Foreman did. This is a brutal inside war of attrition by two guys with great stamina, excellent pop, underrated head movement and counter skills, and could really work on the inside at a good clip.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

It could be argued that maybe Marciano had a slightly better chin which could be a factor.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1001

great fight. so even in almost every area. imo, marciano's two-fisted skill and consistent late stamina narrowly offsets frazier's advantage in size and left-hook power. very late tko.
KobeIsGod is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
Hank
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marciano. Hit better and harder with both hands. Frazier through left hook so much he got known for it, and it was good one, but in match up I have to go with Marciano.
Hank is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 11:22 PM   #11
JIm Broughton
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

What a dream fight!! Two men who don't know the meaning of the word "retreat" or "surrender" and are pretty equally matched. Put a gun to my head though and I'll take a prime Frazier by a slim margin. I think his reach and speed would be the deciding factors. Look at the pace of the first Ali/Frazier fight and compare that with say Marciano/Walcott 1. Both grueling give and take battles but the speed of Ali/Frazier is just so much faster. Joe had to chase down a still very fast Ali for 15 rounds while taking hundreds of slashing combinations all night long. He would'nt have the same problem with Rocky who stood right in front of you and traded and I think this could actually favor Joe due to his greater reach and hand speed. Rocky just did'nt put his punches together fast enough to catch Joe with say 3 or 4 hard fast punches in a row to end it. At least not against the Joe of '71. And Rocky never fought a fighter who put punches together like Joe did that packed the wallop of Joe's. Different era's-different styles. If Joe does'nt get caught early by 1 or 2 haymakers and gets into his rythym then I see him stopping Rocky on cuts in a brutal slugfest late in the fight that has a lasting effect on both men.
JIm Broughton is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 AM   #12
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

As Apollack said, this would be total war.

Frazier is slightly bigger, but Marciano's got arguably better durability and of course uses boh fists with equal abandon, whereas Joe used primarily that Philly left hook of his.
There is always the possibility of cuts stopping things and I'm pretty sure all that slugging would lead to Rocky being quite severely cut around both eyes.

It's very tough to pick a winner, because in most departments they're very evenly matched. Marciano's strong points are Frazier's too, and their weaknesses are also similar. The only difference really is that Joe didn't cut much.
It's a 50/50 really. Just to not be accused of sitting on the fence, I'd pick Marciano because he seemed to get stronger as a fight wore on. The late rounds were where he seemed to shine.

Marciano SD 15.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 03:19 AM   #13
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

50/50, pick em fight, for no particular reason I'm going to pick Marciano. Besides the point, but Dempsey would ruin the both of them.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 05:43 AM   #14
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Frazier, by late TKO (on cuts). At the time of stoppage the fight would be fairly evenly poised on the scorecards.

"War of attrition" would be about right.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 06:37 AM   #15
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack
Total pick'em. Total war. I'd pay big bucks to see it, especially if it was a fight to the finish, but a 15 rounder would suffice as well.
Amen. This fight has no losers. Boxing itself would win.

Who wins in this battle of highly entertaining swarmers? The man with the better speed and footwork, or the man with the better power, and more durability? I go with the later based on how I see the fight going down.

Marciano is my pick.
Mendoza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum