Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
scott c

vCash: 1000
Default new to boxing

at 22 is it too late to be able to fight in boxing? I am very fit and have a non contact sporting background at national level. What can I expct from the sport at this age? Also how many hours a week roughly would I need to put in to be able to fight if this is a possibility. Im used to training between 20-35 hours a week and as im a student I have the time to do so.

Your veiws would be appreciated.
scott c is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
MrSmall
Journeyman

Default Re: new to boxing

Hey scott, welcome to ESB.

I'd say since you're in good shape but have no boxing fundamentals, I'd give yourself a good 3-4 months before sparring, and 6+ before your first fight, depending on how well you get used to it.

What did you compete in?
I started boxing at 17.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Sounds like you have a good athletic foundation. But Mr Small is right. Give it sometime to learn the basics. 22 isn't too late to compete and do well.
Good luck to you.
amy is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
scott c

as long as i can compete im not fussed as to how long it takes to get there. I dnt really ant to compete post inury in a sport that i was good at but at a lesser level. I study physiology so i have a good understanding of physiology and training etc but i wasnt sure if it was a sport where you had to art at 12 to be able to compete like in gymnastics or swimming.

Whats the low level competative scene like? Also for tose who compete at a low level how many hours of training do you put in a week?
scott c is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

You can compete until age 34 so you have plenty of time. There are plenty of guys who start at your age and do just fine. Where do you live? When you start out the competition will be your same level (or at least it should be if you have a good coach who is looking out for you)

There are two categories experience
Novice: below 10 fights
Open: 10+ fights

When you are a novice, you typically only fight other novices. Once you reach 10 fights you can try to get matched with the same level fighter but in tournaments you could be in with guys who have 100+ fights.
amy is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

You can never be to old to start boxing.
I started when I was really young, but I've trained and sparred with people before who where basically in the same situation as you and a few of them turned out to be pretty good, one even went pro but sadly never got far.
If you are used to training 20-30 hours a week, I would say that getting into boxing shouldn't be too new to you, since an average boxer trains 2-6 hours a day. But I will tell you, that boxing training is completely different from any other sport out there and if you go into it not respecting the sport then it will bite you in the ass.
Boxing is like a love/hate kinda of relationship. You love it because it's so deep, so fun, and it makes you feel good (it isn't called "The Sweet Science" for nothing). But it's also so hard both physically and mentally that you also kinda hate it.

Just out of curiosity, what sport did you do or play?
gregsid is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing