Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 08-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default sobral's payday withheld!

Renatu “Babalu” Sobral, an undercard competitor at Saturday’s UFC 74 event, has had half of his $50,000 payday withheld by the Nevada State Athletic Commission pending a review of his fight with David Heath, reports Kevin Iole of UFCjunkie.com content partner site Yahoo! Sports

In a post-fight interview, Sobral admitted that he held the choke to “teach (Heath) a lesson” after the two fighters exchanged words at Friday’s weigh-ins. (UFCjunkie.com was in attendance for the UFC 74 weigh-ins, and it appeared that it was Sobral, not Heath, who instigated the confrontation; Heath just smirked throughout the entire encounter.)
boxingcar is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Default Re: sobral's payday withheld!

BJ Penn did the same thing against Pulver. That is a double standard. These are real fights, and both of those fights had bad blood involved. Things like this happen. I do not agree with it, but who hasn't seen this happen a hundred times in MMA?
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheModel
its not a "real fight", thats why there rules in place.
It sure as hell is a real fight. I didn't say a "street fight". These are two men, going into combat with each other, and of course there is rules, but that sure as hell doesn't mean it isn't a real fight. As I said, that is not an excuse to break the rules of the fight, but when emotions are high, and there is bad blood between the fighters, things like this happen. It is a part of the game, and people do it in training too, when their are problems, and lessons are to be taught. As I said before, BJ Penn did the same thing, there was no excuse for him either, and he admitted it just like Babalu admitted that they held it longer to teach them a lesson. I don't see why Babalu is being made an example out of, when there are so many other fighters that have done it.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

For the Record, THERE WAS NO MUGSHOT SHIRT, it was because Heath said something Babalu didn't like, which is ubsurd, he should be fined and suspended, maybe not 25k, but 1-5k just to send a message.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Penn didn't put him out cold. Sobral looked like a punk and made the sport look bad. I suspect this win will hurt his career worse than any loss.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Good. There are rules in place. I totally agree with hype, showboating etc but a fighters health is at risk when you beat on him when the ref has called the fight.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum