Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-28-2007, 02:59 AM   #1
silvy_chris
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default injury help

i hav had an injury with my wrist for the last 6 months from a left rip on a bag that was way too hard. gone to the doctors and still havnt found anything yet. every time i throw a left hook or rip (especially a rip) i feel it. anyone had this kinda of problem? if so what was the issue that happend and sollution. HELP IS NEEDED THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!! I NEED TO GET BACK INTO SPARRING!!!
silvy_chris is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: injury help

Might not be what you want to hear but, an injury such as that one will not heal until you stop using the damaged wrist in the manner that you continue to use it in, basically it needs rest and time off to heal correctly, the reason that is has prolonged for 6 months is that you keep using the damaged wrist

I have had many similar injures, from hyper extended elbows, tweaked wrists, sprained thumbs, bruised knuckles, etc but still kept fighting and hitting the bags because I did not want to take the time off that was necessary to allow it to heal

Time heal all wounds
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I've had many wrist problems over the years of boxing. And honestly it might be as simple as just warping up better.
Also they is a good chance that you are throwing your hooks/body shots wrong, if you throw hard hooks the wrong way you can easily injure you wrist. A lot of people make the mistake of turning there hand in when they throw the hook, when your supposed to keep your wrist perfectly straight and aligned.
It's really hard to pin down how an injury is caused unless I'm there to see how you train.
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

A Major tendon or metacarpul in your wrist has been torn. It is not unusual to take that long for a tendon to heal. Keep aggravating the injury and you'll have permanent damage.

Here's a breakdown for general healing speeds for an average adult:
Fractures (depends on type) = 6-8 weeks
Dislocation = 4+ weeks
Ligament = 3 weeks
Metacarpuls (tissue in between joints) = 4+ months
Tendons = 4+ months

6 months means you have gone way over the minimum recovery time for even a crucial component in your body and now you have to face the fact that you either rest it until it heals completely or announce your premature retirement from boxing.
Pugsley is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
CMBoxer
Journeyman

I sprained my ankle or maybe a tore a ligament about 4 days ago when lifting heavy stuff and I stopped jogging. It hurts a little but I take anti-inflamatory pills and sometimes place an ankle support. I wonder how long it will take.
CMBoxer is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
MrSmall
Journeyman

From a bad left hook, it was discovered my wrists had become too loose to take the shock and not hold everything in place, from too many pushups (thanks, army). So I am donig various exercises to tighten the wrists. Definitely helping.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBoxer
I sprained my ankle or maybe a tore a ligament about 4 days ago when lifting heavy stuff and I stopped jogging. It hurts a little but I take anti-inflamatory pills and sometimes place an ankle support. I wonder how long it will take.
sprained ankles can take from 6 months to a year to be completely healed
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
CMBoxer
Journeyman

Its not exactly a sprained ankle. I can't remember what the nurse said but she said give it about a week or so and take anti-inflamatory pills. I'm not wearing a cast.
CMBoxer is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
JMonster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

my wrist is messed up too for the longest, i had surgery on it and ever since then it's been messed up...best thing is to really take time for it to heal. do a lot of stretching
JMonster is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 03:00 AM   #10
silvy_chris
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonster
my wrist is messed up too for the longest, i had surgery on it and ever since then it's been messed up...best thing is to really take time for it to heal. do a lot of stretching
wrist stretching?
example?
Old 09-01-2007, 06:02 AM   #11
Thriller
Journeyman

hold your hands together, fingers through fingers, like your holding hands with your missus, haha, then move your wrists in circular motions.

Also get grip weights, like a stress ball that your squize with your hand.
Also make sure you know how to wrap your hands properly, if you hand skinny wrists use longer wrapes/bandages for more support, you can also tape your wrists before bag work and sparring.
Thriller is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #12
silvy_chris
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

yer thanks 4 the help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriller
if you hand skinny wrists use longer wrapes/bandages for more support, you can also tape your wrists before bag work and sparring.
since my wrist has been ****ed up (not hitting the bag atm but wen i was) i was putting sports tape around my wrist and yes i do hand wraps realy well and then duck tape over so no problems there

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing