Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Ohner wins purse bids for Gomez-McCall 2

Hope that Gomez makes a mark at heavyweight. JCG was a terrific cruiser, maybe the best ever. It's definitely not worked out for him above cruiser. But I guess Arena need some high profile names to be successful while their Cuban prospects get experience.

From fightnews,

Arena Box-Promotion brought off a big coup when CEO Ahmet Íner won the purse bid for the next WBC International heavyweight championship between defending champion Oliver McCall and challenger Juan Carlos Gomez. The $550,000 bid was the highest bid ever made for a WBC International title bout. McCall who won the title in a bloody encounter against Sinan Samil Sam on June 16th in Ankara will earn $385,000 when he faces Sinan's stablemate Gomez who makes $165,000. It is the second time that Gomez and McCall clash. The Cuban "Black Panther" clearly decisioned the "Atomic Bull" in October 2005 but tested positive for cocaine after the fight which was declared a no contest. Gomez swears that he never used cocaine. "McCall has ten days to accept the fight," said Íner. "We will see whether he's got the guts to step into the ring with Juan again. If he doesn't fight the title will be vacated." Gomez, a former WBC cruiserweight champion, is enthused by the chance. "That's great! If I beat McCall I will be very close to fulfilling my great dream: To become world heavyweight champion!"
rumour24tiger is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
Rick G
Casual Fan
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Ohner wins purse bids for Gomez-McCall 2

I thought McCall is the mandatory for the Peter-Maskaev-VKlitschko winner. So why should he risk this position? Can sb pls explain me?
Rick G is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Gomez looked fairly convincing against Gomez in their first encounter-at least the first 6-7 rounds before he ran out of gas.
I for sure bet my money on the skilled Cuban.I very much hope that this time he prefers sweating in a gym to partying.He is a pro fighter,and should live like a pro fighter.
Hey,Juan,no cervezas,no chicas,no fiestas,no ir de bares-solamente trabajo en el gymnasio,hombre!
Odo is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
nulty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G
I thought McCall is the mandatory for the Peter-Maskaev-VKlitschko winner. So why should he risk this position? Can sb pls explain me?
You are correct. I can't see him risking his world title shot. He'll forfeit the international belt unless it would cost him his shot, which it shouldn't as he earned it but with the WBC you never know.
nulty is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He gives up the belt, he gives up the title shot in the futur,e he also gives up a very nice payday in the present. duh!!! nernor
rumour24tiger is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Gomez aint the same ainymore. he was good at cruiser, but at heavyweight he looks done. just going through the motions.

a battle of no hopers if you ask me.
unitas is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

Odo, well said mate!

rumour, I also believe JCG was a special cruiser. I'd pick him to beat Bell, Toney, Mormeck, Tiozzo, Hill, Jirov, Cunningham, and all other CW champs in the division's history, prime for prime, except Evander Holyfield. That's how highly I rated him in his prime. Too bad laziness (in training) and carelessness (in his one loss) have botched up his stellar career so terribly.
Axe is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Artani
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Im sure that fight betwen Gomes - McCall will happen. McCall needs money and will accept fight, but this time i think that McCall will win. Gomes is not any more kind of boxer how was, he lost speed and cant punch like before.
Artani is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum