Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 08-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
Peterp
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Uproar Over Mismatches in Australia

There’s an uproar mainly by Filipinos living in Australia over the mismatches in which Filipino boxers get mauled by Australians with the notable exception of IBF Pan Pacific lightweight champion Ranee Ganoy.

Philboxing.com cited the case of Sydney-based Rolando Gerongco who was referred to as just one of a countless numbers of Filipino fighters who started out as good prospects but eventually wound up as punching bags in Australia.

Dido Bohol who is from Cebu and migrated to Australia several years ago has a stable of Filipino boxers who, according to a Filipino resident who assailed the mismatches, are based at Steve Jez Gym in Liverpool in Sydney’s southwest.

According to the report from Sydney, Gerongco has a record of 13-26 with 7 KO’s and was knocked out in the first round by Lance Gostelow in Queensland last June 27. Gostelow has a record of 11-1 with 9 knockouts while Gerongco has won only 1 and lost 21 of his last 22 fights.

The Filipino southpaw who battled such talented fighters as former super flyweight Eric Barcelona in June 2001 and lost a ten round decision is now fighting as a junior welter or welterweight.

One Sydney-based Filipino who has lived in Australia for the past six years informed Viva Sports/Manila Standard said the fights are “one-sided carnages.” The writer claimed that when an Australian fighter wants to improve his record he goes “get me a Filipino.”

The Filipino who forwarded the information to us wanted to know whether the Games and Amusements Board has jurisdiction over the Australia-based Filipino boxers who he claimed “were getting slaughtered in Australian arenas.”

Referring to an article in the Australian *********.com site, the Filipino who lives in Sydney and says he has been a boxing aficionado most of his life said the headline read “Waters stops Filipino Ace” and went on to report that “Australian light middleweight champion Ryan Waters 7-2-1 chopped down Ariel Omongos (3-10) of the Philippines in five rounds to capture the IBF Pan Pacific and IBO junior middleweight crowns.” The writer posed the question “can you consider Omongos with a record of 10 losses in 13 fights a Filipino ace?”

Dido Bohol who manages the Filipino boxers and whose sons Jeffrey and Hermie are the trainers claims the fights are “not mismatches” because the boxers in Australia “don’t want to fight at the same weight” and the Filipinos can never win unless they knock out their opponents.

The consolation, according to Bohol, is that the Filipino boxers get a purse of $200 per round and they “send it back home to help their families.”

Peterp is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
buddynabuick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Uproar Over Mismatches in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester56
Wow, I'm wondering where you got this article from,
because like I have mentioned in my previous 600+ posts, I can't agree more with this article..Australian fight nights are full of mismatches, and Australian boxing should really be ashamed of what they are doing..its totally barbaric to have australians improve their records on opponents who are way below par...WAKE UP AUSTRALIA.

yes,that is pretty underhanded
buddynabuick is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Australia has alot of mismatches, but so does many other countries as well.
When the money aint big, you are of course going to have trouble getting quality imports, because our pool of boxers is just too small.

He makes some valid points, but the guy who wrote the article is the biggest nuthugger of Philipino's & Philipino boxing.
All his articles critisize other countries, their judges & refs, & praises Philipino's & their efforts.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Canvas

the boxing authorities around Australia are so inconsistent when it comes to sanctioning fights. i wish the newspapers would target these people a bit more. they should start with someone like Brad Vocale. who knows about the problems and says or does nothing.
Canvas is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I talked to a good boxing trainer about the mismatches,he said straight up, you dont bring them over to win. To me thats a ****ed statement, i dont like it one bit, the Pinoys do a great job, but they should be matched better and not always have to change weight.
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I talked to a good boxing trainer about the mismatches,he said straight up, you dont bring them over to win. To me thats a ****ed statement, i dont like it one bit, the Pinoys do a great job, but they should be matched better and not always have to change weight.
Fair enough, but at the end of the day its their choice. Its not like they have a gun put to there head.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
Peterp
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i would say if you talk to the filipino boxers themselves, they are pretty cool with it

they get a holiday, then get decent money for them anyway (after converting back to their own currency) and they get practice against superior opposition

If they bring their sisters to work the local brothels whilst they are here, that's even more money for the family to take home !

However i hate seeing mismatches on national tv.
Peterp is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #8
Hmmm
:P
ESB Addict

vCash: 1394

How about we look at this a little differently.

You have new up and comer with a record of say 3-0-0 (nothing overly impressive about that and still an egg in boxing terms). You match him with a Filo who has a record of 3-7-1. Suddenly everyone cries out "mismatch!"

How can a fighter with a 3-7-1 record NOT be a mismatch with ANYONE??? Which leads to the question, why is this Filo fighting at all?? The reality is, the Filo know exactly he is going to be fighting someone he is unlikely to beat. He knows it all too well. But who puts his hand up to fight the 3-0 guy? The filo does, because he needs bread on his table. So is it really a mismatch in that sense? The guy volunteered to fight... He's fully aware of the consequences... hes not going anywhere in boxing yet our sanctioning bodies allow him to retain his Pro license... is that possibly the change we need to make? Suspend the license if they deem the fighter's record unsuitable for professional competition????
Hmmm is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
theunderdog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 166

it is common sense to have an up and coming aussie fighter be in matches against lesser fighters so as to make him look good. that happens in boxing. it is just sad that the filipinos who know they will be beaten up still take the fights because it is their only way to earn cash for their families.

these circumstances are also rampant in other countries specially thailand. as some of you may have heard, a filipino died after taking on two consecutive beatings from two top caliber thai fighters. it's sad that this happens but the victims should really try to be smarter, if your record is like 13-26 with 7 ko's i think it is a clear fact that boxing is not for you. it is time to look at other avenues to earn instead of gambling your health, life and family's welfare taking on much stronger opponents

Last edited by theunderdog; 08-28-2007 at 11:49 PM.
theunderdog is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 AM   #10
Hmmm
ESB Addict

Yeh but wouldnt it be better the licensing commission oversee such cases and retract licenses accordingly????
Hmmm is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 01:52 AM   #11
Peterp
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Follow up article

WBF To Tackle Australian Mismatches

By Ronnie Nathanielsz
WBF president Mick Croucher says the uproar over mismatches in Australia largely featuring Filipino boxers against Australians will be taken up by the Australian Boxing Federation in a meeting on October 13 in Melbourne.

Croucher conceded that "something has to be done and we are dealing with this" following our article which reported on the uproar mainly by Filipinos living in Australia over Filipino boxers "getting slaughtered in Australian arenas."

Reference was made to the fight of Rolando Gerongco who was knocked out in the first round by Australia’s Lance Gostelow who had a record of 11-1 with 9 knockouts while Gerongco’s record was 13-26 with 7 knockouts. What was even worse is that the Filipino, a former promising super flyweight who fought some of the best in the 115 pound division in the Philippines in 2001, was now fighting as a light welterweight or welterweight and had lost 21 of his last 22 fights.

Croucher informed Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that the WBF which he heads "did not sanction the fight as requested for."

Croucher said the entire issue of mismatches involving not only Filipinos but other fighters as well will be taken up at the National Annual General Meeting of the governing body in Australia.

At the same time Croucher said the WBF does not sanction any Thai fighters unless they have a clearance from the Thailand Boxing Authority.

Former Cebu resident Dido Bohol who migrated to Australia several years ago has a stable of Filipino boxers where only IBF Asia Pacific lightweight champion Ranee Ganoy has been successful in Australia.

In a response to the uproar over mismatches, Bohol indicated the Filipino boxers were fighting for the money and said they get paid $200 per round in Australia which is much higher than they would earn fighting in the Philippines where there are much fewer promotions.

Peterp is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #12
Hmmm
ESB Addict

Im guessing this is from SSPPOORRTTSS NNUUTT
Hmmm is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 04:47 AM   #13
westside
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Fair enough, but at the end of the day its their choice. Its not like they have a gun put to there head.
just a wad of cash.... which is almost the same thing
westside is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

From *********

Anthony Mundine
Anthony Mundine is the Best Boxer who ever walked on Australian soil no body has ever come close to him. No body ever will for a long time. He is the best Boxer, Boxing was not interesting anymore until he hit the scene now he dominates the chat forums, the newspapers, television talks and anything else to do with the sport of Boxing, it was boring without him and will be when he goes unless there\'s a new Anthony on the way, this I doubt greatly will ever happen. Lets have a round of applause for The Man he will be back I never doubted it for a second, he is the King of Kings in this sport, mark my words you will see him in the ring early 2008 and he will kick arses as he always has.GO MUNDINE GO>
29 Aug 2007 by Gunter

Gunter lives on!!!!!
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #15
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
From *********

Anthony Mundine
Anthony Mundine is the Best Boxer who ever walked on Australian soil no body has ever come close to him. No body ever will for a long time. He is the best Boxer, Boxing was not interesting anymore until he hit the scene now he dominates the chat forums, the newspapers, television talks and anything else to do with the sport of Boxing, it was boring without him and will be when he goes unless there\'s a new Anthony on the way, this I doubt greatly will ever happen. Lets have a round of applause for The Man he will be back I never doubted it for a second, he is the King of Kings in this sport, mark my words you will see him in the ring early 2008 and he will kick arses as he always has.GO MUNDINE GO>
29 Aug 2007 by Gunter

Gunter lives on!!!!!

Gunter in a world of his own.
Kegsy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum