Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Tonny Tuckers lost title fights

It has ocured to me that Tony Tucker was denied two fights for the lineal title that he rightly should have received. One against Michael Spinks and one against old George Foreman. Both theoreticaly beatable oponents.

Could Tucker have been champion if he had been granted one or both of these fights?
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Sonny's jab

vCash:
Default Re: Tonny Tuckers lost title fights

He didn't deserve either of those fights IMO.
But he deserved a shot at Spinks more than Cooney did.

Spinks would have beaten him, IMO.

Since Foreman needed a gift to win against Axel Schulz I think perhaps Tucker could have beaten him. But then again, Schulz was possibly a lot better than Tucker at that time.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

As great a lightheavyweight Spinks was, i don't think he was that good as a heavyweight. I think Tucker could've beaten him.

As for Foreman, Tucker went downhill very hard after the Lewis fight (and didn't manage to impress during it, either) so i think Foreman would've taken him. Foreman did struggle and arguably with some guys who were fringe contenders like Tucker at that point (Stewart, Schulz, Savarese), so i wouldn't count him out completely.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
It has ocured to me that Tony Tucker was denied two fights for the lineal title that he rightly should have received. One against Michael Spinks and one against old George Foreman. Both theoreticaly beatable oponents.

Could Tucker have been champion if he had been granted one or both of these fights?
My answer is yes.

Spinks never really proved himself against a large heavyweight who was in his prime. Holmes and Cooney were both well past it when he met them, and Holmes arguably beat him in their 1986 rematch. Tucker was a natural heavyweight and then some, who was undefeated and had a fair amount of underrated skill, what's more he could take a pinch as proven in the Tyson and Lewis fights. Spinks would not be able to KO Tucker, and to win a decision, would require him to work very hard over 12 or 15 rounds.

Foreman and Tucker were both pretty up there in age by 1994. Tucker was like 36 and George was something like 45 or there abouts. Although I like George by a decision in this one, It wasn't totally outside the realm of possibility for Tucker to take it. He could still go 12 rounds with a top heavyweight and had yet to see his first Knockout loss. Tony also was still a reasonably good boxer at this point.

My conclusion is that Tucker beats Spinks in 1987, but loses to Foreman in 1994, although he could have conceivably beaten both.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor

Tucker had good size, good power and good durability. If I recall correctly, Tucker went the distance with Mike Tyson, and had a younger Lennox Lewis in some early trouble. Tucker's fatal flaw was lack of fire. If he had it, or Steward as his trainer, he could achieved greater acclaim for sure. I beleive Tucker would defeat Spinks and the Old Foreman.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

He was denied **** all. This lummox was Number One contender for no reason whatsoever, other than he was under Don King.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
He was denied **** all. This lummox was Number One contender for no reason whatsoever, other than he was under Don King.
What an elaborate and extremely well thought out post. A master peice if I've ever seen one. Rather than listing specific reasons as to why you feel this way, you showed far more creativity by simply calling him names and said that he was under Don King.

This one gets my vote for the 2007 ESB post of the year
Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
What an elaborate and extremely well thought out post. A master peice if I've ever seen one. Rather than listing specific reasons as to why you feel this way, you showed far more creativity by simply calling him names and said that he was under Don King.

This one gets my vote for the 2007 ESB post of the year

The key difference between you and I is that I seldom comment in depth twice (unless it's against idiots like Bill and Street Level). I've done an analysis on this before, not going to type it all up again. Never mind, go and have a little cry in the corner.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
The key difference between you and I is that I seldom comment in depth twice (unless it's against idiots like Bill and Street Level). I've done an analysis on this before, not going to type it all up again. Never mind, go and have a little cry in the corner.
LOL!!!!

I think I prefer to have a laugh with the rest of the world, rather than a cry in the corner, given that I've seen your so called abilty to analyze before. And I must say, it's quite amusing.

Think I'll add a few of these just for shits and giggles :
Old 08-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
LOL!!!!

I think I prefer to have a laugh with the rest of the world, rather than a cry in the corner, given that I've seen your so called abilty to analyze before. And I must say, it's quite amusing.

Think I'll add a few of these just for shits and giggles :

I can see me getting into a nice heated debate with you over the next week or so. Be sure to get your facts right- i've a feeling you'll be embarrassed. Watch this space.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #11
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Tucker had good size, good power and good durability. If I recall correctly, Tucker went the distance with Mike Tyson, and had a younger Lennox Lewis in some early trouble.
Did he? I haven't seen the fight for years but it wasn't my impression he had Lewis in trouble.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I can see me getting into a nice heated debate with you over the next week or so. Be sure to get your facts right- i've a feeling you'll be embarrassed. Watch this space.
I have no qualms about your putting me to shame in a battle of fact versus fiction. Unfortunately for yourself however, this is a boxing forum and not the official website of Walt Disney.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #13
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Did he? I haven't seen the fight for years but it wasn't my impression he had Lewis in trouble.
He didn't.

Lewis dominated the fight from the opening bell and even dropped Tucker on I believe two occasions. There were a few times during the bout when Tucker got some shots off and seemingly backed away just as he looked like he was getting something going. This was very frustrating for me and my friends as we looked on cheering for Tucker. It was almost as if he was trying to avoid hitting Lewis. One of the worst heavyweight title fights I've ever seen.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

Quote:
He didn't.

Lewis dominated the fight from the opening bell and even dropped Tucker on I believe two occasions. There were a few times during the bout when Tucker got some shots off and seemingly backed away just as he looked like he was getting something going. This was very frustrating for me and my friends as we looked on cheering for Tucker. It was almost as if he was trying to avoid hitting Lewis. One of the worst heavyweight title fights I've ever seen.
I think he was wary of Lewis's power and quickness for a big man that and the fact that he got hurt early on. I still think Lewis would have beaten him had Tucker engaged more but I'm certain that he could have at the very least given a better account of himself.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #15
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
True.

I call Tony Tucker the all-time heavyweight beneficiary of the rigged-ratings system.
There are others who run him close, but Tucker's a remarkable case study.
He went number 1 with the IBF, WBC, WBA and finally WBO in a 10 year stint.
Don King must have been robbing him blind. Same with Ruiz.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum