Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #31
punchy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Buster Douglas vs. Rocky Marciano

This is a good match up for Douglas I see him winning by knockout if he can close Rocky's eye the way he did Tyson's, a smaller one eyed fighter coming forward onto Buster's straight rights and uppercuts is in serious trouble, but if Rocky can still see in the later rounds Buster is in big trouble.
punchy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #32
nick wells jr
Journeyman

rocky in 7.rocky would fight a dragon if you put it in front of him.
nick wells jr is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #33
NickHudson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think this is a good matchup and agree with the initial poster that the 10 round conditions bring Douglas into play for a possible points victory.

In fact, there are a number of guys I would pick as having a chance head to head over Marciano over 10 rounds.

15 rounds is a different matter altogether.

I believe Marciano to be as good as any HW who have ever lived between rounds 11-15, with the possible exception of Ali.
NickHudson is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #34
JIm Broughton
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I always felt that the Buster Douglas Who beat Mike Tyson would have given any of the HW champions past or present a hard time. For that one night he boxed as well as any big man had and better than alot. Up on his toes,pumping the jab consistently,moving in and out and throwing a hard fast right hand-left hook combo. All at 6'4" and 230lbs mind you. I just can't envision Rocky beating THAT version of Douglas. As tough as the Rock was we're talking about a 5'11"(Not even six feet tall for chrissakes!) 185lb "Heavyweight" with a 69" reach!! Douglas would dwarf him! Now a fat unmotivated Douglas would catch hell but not the Douglas that spanked Mike. I can't see how Rocky would even get close to him. He'd be looking up and punching up all night long while catching hard fast jabs to his cut prone face. Rocky was used to fighting men in the 6'-185-200Lb range who were'nt that mobile. This would be a whole new world for him. A big strong man who could box,bang and move. As much as I love Marciano and all the "old school" greats for that matter, I can't let my admiration get in the way of reason. I'll say this though. One "old school" champion who could have beaten that version of Douglas, or at least given him hell was Jack Dempsey. Bigger and faster than Marciano with a better style for that type fighter. Bob and weave,in and out with a pair of fast powerful hands. Anyone out there in cyberland agree?
JIm Broughton is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #35
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Buster was a 1 night wonder, Marciano would eat him up and spit him out
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #36
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Buster was a 1 night wonder, Marciano would eat him up and spit him out

Maybe,but we're exactly talking about that 1 night. Russell said Buster at his Tokyo best. And if you'd watch it you'd have to admit that Marciano would be in big big trouble.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #37
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFO
Maybe,but we're exactly talking about that 1 night. Russell said Buster at his Tokyo best. And if you'd watch it you'd have to admit that Marciano would be in big big trouble.
Marciano was always fit and would not have been spent on Broads the way Mike was that night, Buster would have been in there with a different fighter and if he made it into the 8th round (i think that was the round Mike Dropped him) when and if he got up, he would have had a relentless,2 fisted puncher with lots of gas in his tank and killer instinct on his tail, I think Buster would quit earlier like he did vs Tucker and Evander, Rocky more than likely would have discouraged him earlier than those 2
Old 09-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #38
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

"Joe Louis is the greatest heavyweight champion of all time. Rocky Marciano is second only to Louis. Where do I rate Ali? Somewhere below me. I beat him, and if I could beat him, no doubt Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano could have beaten him."
-- Joe Frazier
Old 09-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #39
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
All great champions have nights like Tyson did in Tokyo.

What sets men like Marciano apart from the rest of the best is that they find a way to beat their James Douglas.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #40
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Marciano was always fit and would not have been spent on Broads the way Mike was that night, Buster would have been in there with a different fighter and if he made it into the 8th round (i think that was the round Mike Dropped him) when and if he got up, he would have had a relentless,2 fisted puncher with lots of gas in his tank and killer instinct on his tail, I think Buster would quit earlier like he did vs Tucker and Evander, Rocky more than likely would have discouraged him earlier than those 2

Did you see the fight? Douglas had it all that night. Speed, footwork, workrate, powershots, jabs, heart, everything.
Tyson's speed and power is far better than Marciano's and still he lost that fight.
Douglas wouldn't even need 10 rounds to decapitate that mummy.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #41
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
All great champions have nights like Tyson did in Tokyo.

What sets men like Marciano apart from the rest of the best is that they find a way to beat their James Douglas.

One word: NO!

Every Heavyweight has his James Buster Douglas and so does Marciano.

Rocky Marciano is no unbeatable comic strip character.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #42
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
One word: NO!

Every Heavyweight has his James Buster Douglas and so does Marciano.

Rocky Marciano is no unbeatable comic strip character.
Rocky Marciano was verry beatable on paper but you cannot deny that he had a talent for snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat.

If Mike Tyson is the ultimate under achiever then Rocky Marciano is the opposite. The guy who did more with the tools he had than he should ever have been able to do.

Marciano had nights when the boxing gods decided his number was up but he still managed to pull it round. We can speculate all night whether Tyson could have beaten Joe Walcott or Ezzard Charles but if you put him at the worst moment of those fights he dose not manage to claw it back.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #43
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Bouglas by ko in 7!

5'10 vs 6'4
190 vs 230
Do the math
Marciano retired undefeated. That's all the math that needs be done.
If former Cruiserwight Holyfield starched Douglas. Imagine what Rocky would have done? Marciano KO in 4.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #44
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Rocky Marciano was verry beatable on paper but you cannot deny that he had a talent for snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat.

Yes. Against fighters he stood a chance somehow.

Marciano's biggest weapon was called endurance.
He tried to dismantle his opponents successively.
Nevertheless his opponents were handpicked and Douglas of Tokyo would be his worst choice.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #45
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Marciano retired undefeated. That's all the math that needs be done.

As ignorant as can be.

Quote:
If former Cruiserwight Holyfield starched Douglas. Imagine what Rocky would have done? Marciano KO in 4.

Holyfield is a different league and shouldn't be mentioned in a sentence together with Marciano. Holyfield would school Marciano.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum