4. Hopkins
5. Vazquez
6. Wright
7. Marquez
8. Calzaghe
9. Hatton
10. Cotto

a couple things:

1. When was the last time Wright won a fight? Soliman?

2. Should Cotto be in there despite never winning a championship? (championship, not titles)
Illmatic is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
jecxbox
St. Brett
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: calderon not in the ring's new top 10 p4p

wright should not be on the p4p list...I guess beating a smaller Mosley and the ghost of Felix Trinidad will keep a fighter in the lb 4 lb rankings for all of eternity.
jecxbox is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
BlueApollo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecxbox
wright should not be on the p4p list...I guess beating a smaller Mosley and the ghost of Felix Trinidad will keep a fighter in the lb 4 lb rankings for all of eternity.
JMM at #3 over Hopkins is a joke. Cotto at #10 doesn't seem all that wrong to me. He should lose that spot though if either Pavlik or Taylor looks particularly impressive this fall, or if he loses to Shane.
BlueApollo is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Spitfire7
Gadfly
ESB Addict

vCash: 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApollo
JMM at #3 over Hopkins is a joke. Cotto at #10 doesn't seem all that wrong to me. He should lose that spot though if either Pavlik or Taylor looks particularly impressive this fall, or if he loses to Shane.
Jmm at 3 is way too much, given that his last wins were hardly dominating. He was beaten by John (robbery or not, record books will say its an L) even knocked down by MAB in a close fight, and (lo and behold) Philippino journeyman Jaca. He's top 10 material alright, but at most he should be 6-8. Ivan should be with the top 12 at the least with this win against Hugo.
Spitfire7 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
jecxbox
St. Brett
ESB Addict

definitely
jecxbox is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
BlueApollo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire7
Jmm at 3 is way too much, given that his last wins were hardly dominating. He was beaten by John (robbery or not, record books will say its an L) even knocked down by MAB in a close fight, and (lo and behold) Philippino journeyman Jaca. He's top 10 material alright, but at most he should be 6-8. Ivan should be with the top 12 at the least with this win against Hugo.
God, I'd forgotten that Jaca dropped him. What round was it?
BlueApollo is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Calderon should be top 10 over Cotto IMO. Achieved more.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPower
He was never dropped by Jaca. JMM being over Hopkins is okay in my book as long as it deals with boxing.

If it were the top ten P4P for holding, headbutting, using your elbows, and boring the fans to sleep with your style of fighting than ol' Hopkins is definitely in the top three. Although he is ranked number one P4P for the boxer with the most gaps between his teeth.
See whats funny is that nobody could figure out how to beat Winky, but Bernard did. Now you can criticize the way that he did it, but the fact remains that he beat Winky in a competitive but clear decision. Everyone with a brain knew that this wasnt going to be an exciting affair going into the bout, so to criticize it now is meaningless.
Guru_Too_You is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Too_You
See whats funny is that nobody could figure out how to beat Winky, but Bernard did. Now you can criticize the way that he did it, but the fact remains that he beat Winky in a competitive but clear decision. Everyone with a brain knew that this wasnt going to be an exciting affair going into the bout, so to criticize it now is meaningless.
Well, I stuck to my guns on this. I critcized the fight BEFORE it happened. Wright jumped 2 weight classes for this. Hopkins should have fought a LHW champion IMO .
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
Well, I stuck to my guns on this. I critcized the fight BEFORE it happened. Wright jumped 2 weight classes for this. Hopkins should have fought a LHW champion IMO .
It was a bout that should have happened years ago, but Winky never had the balls to step up to the plate. I also felt it was not the best bout to be made, both from a historical and fan's standpoint, but it is what it is.

Personally, I would love to see Bernard fight Dawson. Truly the old versus the new. I think that Bernard was hurting himself staying at middleweight near the end of his run but he had the record books in his mind. He looked to be in tremendous shape in his last few bouts, and I actually think that he can endure a much higher workrate if it was necessary at 175 than he could at 160. That and Dawson isnt the biggest hitter, so this one could get interesting.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Too_You
It was a bout that should have happened years ago, but Winky never had the balls to step up to the plate. I also felt it was not the best bout to be made, both from a historical and fan's standpoint, but it is what it is.

Personally, I would love to see Bernard fight Dawson. Truly the old versus the new. I think that Bernard was hurting himself staying at middleweight near the end of his run but he had the record books in his mind. He looked to be in tremendous shape in his last few bouts, and I actually think that he can endure a much higher workrate if it was necessary at 175 than he could at 160. That and Dawson isnt the biggest hitter, so this one could get interesting.
I think Dawson is too quick for him and well enough schooled to not get into the games that Hops likes to play. But you never know....
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
I think Dawson is too quick for him and well enough schooled to not get into the games that Hops likes to play. But you never know....
Thats what I'm saying. Hopkins has an uncanny ability to make you fight his fight, and I'm not sure that Dawson could avoid it.

That and I think that Hopkins might put him to sleep with his right hand.

I have a weird feeling about Hopkins-Dawson.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #13
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecxbox
agrred, he has done shit since and he is still top ten p4p.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPower
What are you talking about? Taylor beat him. Yes, a lot of people argue that Wright should have gotten the nod, but the fact is he didn't. I actually thought it was a very competitive fight, considering both aren't considered to be straight-ahead, aggressive fighters. For Wright to pull a DLH and not fight the 12th hurt him terribly. A novice mistake committed by a veteran fighter who should have known to, "try to never leave it in the judges hands."
Both Taylor bouts were extremely close and controversial. Just as much if not moreso than Hopkins-Wright.

And if you read my post carefully you would notice that I said Hopkins was HURTING himself by staying at 160, which would deal DIRECTLY with the Taylor bouts.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmatic
1. Mayweather
2. Pac
3. JMM
4. Hopkins
5. Vazquez
6. Wright
7. Marquez
8. Calzaghe
9. Hatton
10. Cotto

a couple things:

1. When was the last time Wright won a fight? Soliman?

2. Should Cotto be in there despite never winning a championship? (championship, not titles)
Taylors crap but he should be above Wright and Hopkins

Calazage should be higher.

Mosley should be on the list, so should Delahoya for getting an SD against Mayweather and giving him a close run for his money.

Chris John must be making a case to be top 15 right now

Dawson hasn't earnt it yet but he probably should be up there soon. He'd beat BHOPs NOW!!!

Marquez and Vasquez are good but top10 P4P? I don't think their good enough and if Pac, Barrera, Hamed, Morales (from 12-7years ago) were at those weights they'd be getting beat handily. 21yo Linares would beat both of them right now.

1. Quartey - good win
2. NO NO NO, Cotto should be below
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum