Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-25-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Quarry - Would it be wrong to think...

He could of beaten Norton if he was in his prime, looking at how he gave Ken hell late in his career?

Hmm?
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Quarry - Would it be wrong to think...

IMO,....Quarry would have to knock Norton out to win. I don't think he could of outpointed him. Norton was taller, and with a longer reach.

The young Quarry of the 1967-68 era when he did box, might have had a chance to outbox Ken. But then Quarry became a slugger with his Frazier and similar fights.

The most confident Quarry I saw was the one that did not fear Earnie Shavers and just bored in and stopped him in one round.

Put Kenny on his back foot, against the ropes, and Quarry lands his hook big and early, is the only way I think Jerry can knock Norton out to win.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I dont see any reason why a prime Quarry couldnt take Kenny.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71
IMO,....Quarry would have to knock Norton out to win. I don't think he could of outpointed him. Norton was taller, and with a longer reach.

The young Quarry of the 1967-68 era when he did box, might have had a chance to outbox Ken. But then Quarry became a slugger with his Frazier and similar fights.

The most confident Quarry I saw was the one that did not fear Earnie Shavers and just bored in and stopped him in one round.

Put Kenny on his back foot, against the ropes, and Quarry lands his hook big and early, is the only way I think Jerry can knock Norton out to win.
How seldom do I read about the difference between the Quarry of '67-'69 and the version afterwards when he filled out, matured and became more of a slugger. That earlier version was something special, reference the Thad Spencer bout the 1 punch ko's of Scrapiron Johnson and Brian London, etc., he was a cruel, vindictive counter puncher and would mix in some effective boxing and moving. He could almost effortlessly deck or put a guy away with a counter right or left and seemed to like luring a guy into a corner where he would fire those counterpunches so well. He seemed bigger and thicker in physique and this emphasized his short arms. He returned to good boxing for Ron Lyle, but was more tempermentally inclined for slugging than he was earlier in his career. The early Quarry would have a real chance of catching Norton off the ropes with a big shot or two, and you know that Norton didnt handle power too well. The big difference was that the younger. 1967-68 version of Jerry Quarry was much quicker and that ko of Spencer was so impressive. He had it all in that fight, fast hands, power, and that effective counter punching style.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabby Gut
Quarry and Norton always argued who the best heavyweight in California was. Quarry was in no shape mentally or physically to fight Norton in March 1975. Rumor has it he was abusing cocaine and took the fight on short notice. He used to abuse Norton in the gym when they sparred but Quarry was much more experienced than Norton was at that time when the sparring occurred. Style-wise it took a huge puncher to beat Norton. While he had an excellent and feared left hook - Quarry was not exactly Marciano in the power department (who was?). It would have been a tall order for Quarry to ever defeat Norton. But the sharper and better Quarry of the Foster and Shavers fights for example might have been able to beat Norton.

I heard the same about the abuse,Jerry had a new young wife and he got into the party mode, he admitted himself the Norton fight he prostituted himself ( he was drinking and doing coke). The Quarry of the shavers,Lyle fight would have been too much for Ken but Ken would have made it harder than Shavers and Lyle because he had faster hands but as soon as Jerry backed him up, Norton would run into trouble, I like Quarry more than likely by a Ko
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I would certainly like to think that Quarry could take Norton in his prime, but I'm not sure if the styles would have made for it to be so. A 1973 Quarry would have definately been a tougher test for Ken than a 1975 version, but not enough to score a knockout or a decision. Quarry had the tendency to bleed in the later rounds of a fight, while Ken tended to give long term boxers trouble. I'd see Norton taking this one late.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Hawkeye

I have been watching some of Quarry's fights on You Tube. I liked him in 67 agaisnt Alex Miteff. I thought he looked quicker and better conditioned then than he looked later. The 67 version of Quarry might have beaten Norton.
Hawkeye is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
I have been watching some of Quarry's fights on You Tube. I liked him in 67 agaisnt Alex Miteff. I thought he looked quicker and better conditioned then than he looked later. The 67 version of Quarry might have beaten Norton.
Miteff's the arrogant guy that was talking shit that Quarry iced in one, wasn't he?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
Hawkeye

No, Miteff was Argentinian and had come out of retirement. Quarry got him in about 3 if I remember right. Miteff was probably well past his prime, but Quarry looked lean and quick in that fight.
Hawkeye is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
Sonny's jab

vCash:

To be honest, I think Quarry could have beaten Ken Norton by slugging like he did in 1975 if only he had been in better shape.

I've heard he took the fight late-notice, as a replacement for Oscar Bonavena.
Quarry was out of shape, and past his best, the drink/drugs/partying thing didn't help.

All credit to Norton though, he is extremely underrated IMO.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
How seldom do I read about the difference between the Quarry of '67-'69 and the version afterwards when he filled out, matured and became more of a slugger. That earlier version was something special, reference the Thad Spencer bout the 1 punch ko's of Scrapiron Johnson and Brian London, etc., he was a cruel, vindictive counter puncher and would mix in some effective boxing and moving. He could almost effortlessly deck or put a guy away with a counter right or left and seemed to like luring a guy into a corner where he would fire those counterpunches so well. He seemed bigger and thicker in physique and this emphasized his short arms. He returned to good boxing for Ron Lyle, but was more tempermentally inclined for slugging than he was earlier in his career. The early Quarry would have a real chance of catching Norton off the ropes with a big shot or two, and you know that Norton didnt handle power too well. The big difference was that the younger. 1967-68 version of Jerry Quarry was much quicker and that ko of Spencer was so impressive. He had it all in that fight, fast hands, power, and that effective counter punching style.
Good post ,the Quarry that beat Lyle would have a real shot at beating Norton ,imo ,when they actually met Quarry was washed up and flabby ,with nothing left but his big heart.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member

quarrys punch, nortons chin........that could mean a quarry victory. i´d pick him to win in fact.
bumdujour is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The Quarry that fought and destroyed Thad Spencer would have also destroyed Ken Norton. As has been already said, he was leaner and quicker then, and was still into that counterpunching strategy of coming off the ropes. Norton coulnt handle a quick, hard puncher like that, although I give him his props for being able to handle Ali like no one else. I also think the '67-'68 Quarry would have done much better against both Ali and Frazier.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

If they both met in their respective primes I would bet on Quarry.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
bigjake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Miteff's the arrogant guy that was talking shit that Quarry iced in one, wasn't he?
he also fought to a draw with miffet too also tony alongi and quarry drew
bigjake is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum