Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Could Roland Lastarza have succeeded in other eras?

Roland Lastarza was a pretty decent fighter in my eyes. At one point, he was rated as the best defensive heavyweight of all time, and better than average boxing ability as well. He may very well have been one of the toughest challenges that a youthful Marciano ever had. Roland's career deteriorated following his second match with the Rock. He sustained an inordinate amount of punishment to both of his arms, resulting in the need for extensive surgery. After this point, he was never quite the same fighter again.

In my opinion, Roland fought a very defensive style of boxing that was not terribly aggresive and nor did he have much sting to his punches, or so it would appear. This may have been the limiting factor which prevented his rising to champion status.

Does anyone think that he might have been a champ in a different era, or at least a legitimate title threat in most?
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Could Roland Lastarza have succeeded in other eras?

I doubt he would be a champ in any era but i have no doubts he could be a contender in quite a few. Even in todays weak heavyweight ranks i could see fighter's like wlad and tua being able to hand out too much damage for roland to deal with.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Roland Lastarza was a pretty decent fighter in my eyes. At one point, he was rated as the best defensive heavyweight of all time, and better than average boxing ability as well. He may very well have been one of the toughest challenges that a youthful Marciano ever had. Roland's career deteriorated following his second match with the Rock. He sustained an inordinate amount of punishment to both of his arms, resulting in the need for extensive surgery. After this point, he was never quite the same fighter again.

In my opinion, Roland fought a very defensive style of boxing that was not terribly aggresive and nor did he have much sting to his punches, or so it would appear. This may have been the limiting factor which prevented his rising to champion status.

Does anyone think that he might have been a champ in a different era, or at least a legitimate title threat in most?
Fighters have grown so large that after the 1960's or so it is difficult to see LaStarza being very successful at heavy. He might do well at cruiser, though. I think he would have been a contender in earlier eras. He had excellent boxing skills. A champion? Only if he got the right guy, such as Hart or Burns and possibly Braddock or a fading Sharkey, on the right night.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Well,

Although we've been hitting the whole size thing a bit too much this week, I can't help but notice that Lastarza never broke the 200 pound mark. In addition, he had a hard enough time putting away guys were within the same 180-190 range. I certainly don't think that he'd have much to offer in terms of being able to actually hurt larger heavyweights from later periods, however his stamina and trmendous defensive skills may tend to frustrate a lot of guys, leading to some close decisions and perhaps even a few late stoppages.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
dalek
Journeyman

he'd have a chance today for sure.avoiding wlad,the others really are a mediocre lot.
dalek is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I think that he would have been a solid contender in any era but as others have said the championship would always have eluded him unless you can realy cherry pick a weak point in the lineage such as Leon Spinks. He is certainly the type of fighter who could have potentialy exploited a divided title to pick up an alphabet strap.

He might just have had a shot if Marciano had not been around as there would have been a bit of a vacum between Walcott & Charles being old but servicable and Floyd Patterson coming along.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
He might just have had a shot if Marciano had not been around as there would have been a bit of a vacum between Walcott & Charles being old but servicable and Floyd Patterson coming along.
Now, that would have been an intesting matchup. Only of course, if both men were in their prime. Floyd and Roland were right around the same size. Patterson had a great offensive arsenal, whereas Lastarza's defense was one of the best. I don't know if a 21 year old Patterson had the experience to penetrate the defensive abilities of a prime Lastarza. I also question weather or not he had the power to overcome Roland's stamina and work ethic. That would have been a tough pick.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo

Lastarza was a good boxer ,with a good chin ,but he lacked real power,the second Marciano fight ruined him.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Roland would have been Cruiser Champ in this day and age.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I doubt that he wasn't agressive enough and against a huge puncher like haye he would have been in trouble.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
I doubt that he wasn't agressive enough and against a huge puncher like haye he would have been in trouble.

Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't know what you find so funny, a defensive fighter is a bad bet against somebody who has serious 1 punch ko power.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #13
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
I don't know what you find so funny, a defensive fighter is a bad bet against somebody who has serious 1 punch ko power.

Haye didnīt even prove himself against the CW-elite, and now you favour him against a very good HW who had an iron chin? Sorry, thatīs just too directly that youīre biased...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #14
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Lastarza handled Marcianos power without being knocked un conscious,handled Rex Layne as well. I think he could handle Hayes Power,out box and out smart as well.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He hasn't yet proved himself, if he beats mormeck then he will easily have shown he is a top fighter. Also just becuase one guy is a good fighter doesn't mean that a less talented fighter can't beat them, styles make fights. Also how you can accuse anyone of being bias with half the stuff you say is a right cheek.

Last edited by Cyril; 07-24-2006 at 07:06 AM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum