Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
KingGheedora
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 114
vCash: 1000
Default Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

Been training for 3 months (one hour a week with a trainer, a few breaks here and there during that time), and had my 4th sparring session today. 8 3-minute rounds.

Rounds 1-4: Jabs to the head only
Rounds 5-6: Jabs and straight rights to to head and body
Rounds 7-8: All punches, to the body only

All 8 rounds are uploaded, here's the link to round 1, click "More From KingGheedora" on the left to see all the rounds. I am the one in the silver shorts and black gloves. I'm wearing running shoes because of a pain in my left foot.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The first thing I noticed when watching the video is that I seem to be moving in slow motion compared to how the action feels while we're sparring. Coach said everyone has that same comment the first time they see themselves on video. And my jab is not loose at all, the way I've been practicing it to be. You can see my first two feint jabs in round 1 were loose and then I suddenly stopped.

My conditioning has gotten garbage again, since I haven't been able to run for about 5 weeks now because of my foot injury. The doctor this week said to just stay off it for 4-6 weeks, which I've been doing except for jumping rope, so I'm cutting out jump rope. Need to find something better to get my conditioning back up because the stationary bike is a poor replacement for running.

A big part of why I don't punch as much is because I'm pacing myself. You can see towards the latter half of round 7 I get really tired and can't put anything behind my punches (prompting female trainer to yell "throw it like you mean it!").

Things I need to work on:

looser jab, whip it out instead of "pushing"
step in with the jab
bring hands back to guard faster after punches
be less predicable
punches from more angles

I learned punches from angles, and up-jabs for the first time yesterday, so this time I used more slips and did one successful up-jab at around 02:16 into round #5.

Please give me some feedback on more things I can improve.
KingGheedora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
KingGheedora
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 114
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

The guy I'm sparring is more experienced, is in his 40's (I'm 2 but is in great shape, and outweighs me by about 25-30lbs.

I am 5'10" and 160lbs.

I didn't know the form auto-embeds YouTube vids, so to make it easier on you guys, here are rounds 2 - 8.

2:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

3:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

4:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

5:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

6:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

7:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

8:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
KingGheedora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
JN95
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: on the edge
Posts: 393
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

looking decent mate for your fourth sparring session, do you train in that health club?
if so you want to get yourself to a boxing gym mate.
points to improve
like you said you are quite predictable
also you very rarely counter your opponent
apart from that looking you looking excellent mate
JN95 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Blue145
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

That's perhaps the wierdest setting for a sparring match ha !

Looks good though, for your 4th sparring session tbh, you're doing well. You look relaxed and have the decent fundamentals to improve on. All that comes with time and practice.
Good thing also is that you know some of the things to improve on, such as the jab. That's really improtant to point out bad things and improve rather than just being blind to it.

Props also for posting a vid of yourself for critique aswell ! nice one.
Blue145 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

its good mate 1 thing that i notice blaringly is hat you are open to hooks try to keep your right hand nearer your ear to block hookmss
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lancashire
Posts: 4,850
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

totally wrong environment for sparring
turpinr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
KingGheedora
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 114
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
totally wrong environment for sparring
Haha, true. I think it's irrelevant though. They used to have a ring here but they got rid of it. Once I'm better I think we'll be traveling to a branch of the same club that has a ring.
KingGheedora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lancashire
Posts: 4,850
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGheedora View Post
Haha, true. I think it's irrelevant though. They used to have a ring here but they got rid of it. Once I'm better I think we'll be traveling to a branch of the same club that has a ring.
it would be better,you did both look relaxed though,which is good
turpinr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

Like Gpater said you have your hands in front of your face, you are very open to a left hook. I think it looked decent though.
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,187
vCash: 75
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

yeah try get yourself into a proper boxing gym would be the main problem id have

on the sparring itself

its quite labored and not exactly intense, you should really cut down your rounds and try up the intensity gradually, a real fight is at such a higher pace than you are fighting there you would be in for a huge shock when you did have a real fight or an intense sparring session against someone who wanted to take you out

from the punches i have seen you throwing you do not seem to be throwing them correctly, maybe you know how to properly throw and your holding back but for your power shots your not getting the full range of motion, you are losing out on a lot of power

for example you are throwing your right hand and you are not turning your hip and throwing your sholder forward, the only movement comes from your arm, you want your right shoulder moving forward around a foot and you want to turn your hips in a snapping movement this is where the power comes from

in my gym i would advise you to stop sparring as your bad habits will settle in, there is a general fact that to teach someone a new move and for the subject to learn competantly they should do the move around 300 times in practise, for someone who has developed a bad habit, to correct a bad habit picked up it can take up to 3000 practise runs of the move (this is general in all sports)

imo the sparring is no use for you and i would advise you to stop, the guy is taking it too easy by the looks of it and you would benefit a lot more from padwork and bag work at this stage of your experience, for improving footwork, technique for punches and simple things like bringing your hands back to your face after throwing shots instead of dropping them (especially your right)

the best way to learn how to fully throw shots is pad work, a good trainer shouldnt let someone spar who has so many flaws, you will NOT learn that way, infact you will develop bad habits which as previously stated are a bitch to get rid of
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,187
vCash: 75
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

ok i just had another look at a few more rounds of your sparring here are some more pointers

at the moment you are holding your hands nice and high and in tight, however you are holding your hands with palms facing each other and you thumbs facing your face, try hold your hands so your palms are facing your face, this is something you should try get use to

this will create a bigger defense as that part of the gloves are wider and when throwing punches you can generate more power as you are turning your fist more, from that position say for a right hand you will turn your fist 180 degrees from the way you are doing in the vids you are only getting a 90 degree turn, that snapping of the wrist creates a lot of power, next time on the pads or bag try it and you will feel the difference

one more thing buddy; you showed some good head movement and then throwing a shot afterwards this is good, however your opponenet is gonna cop on and see that when you bob you are more than likely gonna throw a shot after it, try bobbing from side to side a few times, stop do it again then bang throw a right after a bob to the right or jab with a bob to the left, dont constantly bob once then throw you need to disguise your punches

when moving your head do so in short quick movements not long drawn out ones as they will leave you off balance and a quick fighter will pick you off, aint nothing worse than getting caught with a jab when you are slightly off centre you will get rocked back and you will have to readjust your stance, this will automatically go down as a point on the computer for your opponent

so practise those quick, sharp and short head movements, you need to start recruiting those fast twitch fibres that everyone has, they just need to be called on
same as foot and hand speed, when on the bag after your technique improves for 6 weeks straight just concentrate on hitting the bag with speed, nothing but combos and as fast as you can, your hand speed will come on great
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
KingGheedora
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 114
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
ok i just had another look at a few more rounds of your sparring here are some more pointers

at the moment you are holding your hands nice and high and in tight, however you are holding your hands with palms facing each other and you thumbs facing your face, try hold your hands so your palms are facing your face, this is something you should try get use to

this will create a bigger defense as that part of the gloves are wider and when throwing punches you can generate more power as you are turning your fist more, from that position say for a right hand you will turn your fist 180 degrees from the way you are doing in the vids you are only getting a 90 degree turn, that snapping of the wrist creates a lot of power, next time on the pads or bag try it and you will feel the difference

one more thing buddy; you showed some good head movement and then throwing a shot afterwards this is good, however your opponenet is gonna cop on and see that when you bob you are more than likely gonna throw a shot after it, try bobbing from side to side a few times, stop do it again then bang throw a right after a bob to the right or jab with a bob to the left, dont constantly bob once then throw you need to disguise your punches

when moving your head do so in short quick movements not long drawn out ones as they will leave you off balance and a quick fighter will pick you off, aint nothing worse than getting caught with a jab when you are slightly off centre you will get rocked back and you will have to readjust your stance, this will automatically go down as a point on the computer for your opponent

so practise those quick, sharp and short head movements, you need to start recruiting those fast twitch fibres that everyone has, they just need to be called on
same as foot and hand speed, when on the bag after your technique improves for 6 weeks straight just concentrate on hitting the bag with speed, nothing but combos and as fast as you can, your hand speed will come on great
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually surprised to hear you say that about throwing the shots right after slipping, because I don't think I did it that much. I'm told this move is called an up-jab. I'm the one in the silver shorts (are you sure you were watching me and not the other guy when you mentioned this?) and the other guy is the one who's been doing that, slipping and then throwing immediately after, especially in round 3. I picked up on this and you can see me slip one of his punches at 2:35 in round 3 because I knew it was coming.

I did try to do the up-jab a few times myself though, and I think I got him one or two times with it, and maybe missed with it one or two times. I made sure to try to slip without throwing too, so I wouldn't be as predicable as the other dude.

Thanks for the other tips, I'm gonna try holding my gloves as you said, and I know I need to work on my form. The weird thing is my form seems much better when I shadow box or hit the bag. I feel like I'm too close to the guy to really turn my body into the punches properly, and in rounds where we did rights to the head I was definitely holding back on power because we were told to do so. I am also hesitant to commit to a lot of punches because I'm wary of getting hit. That guy always throws back immediately as I start attacking and I feel like I'm getting hit whenever I attack. Even so I noticed that my form is horrible, I need to video myself sparring and on the bag to see if my form is actually as decent as I thought it to be, because I am pretty disappointed in what I see in myself on these videos. Especially the slowness, and the long, deliberate, drawn out style of the movements.

Trainers also said that after I attack I back off and wait for him to respond, that I should attack right away after attacking. Movement is kind of hard right now because of the pain I have in my left foot (which also prevents me from running/plyometrics, so my conditioning is also suffering, therefore I've been pacing myself a lot in these sparring sessions).
KingGheedora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,187
vCash: 75
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGheedora View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually surprised to hear you say that about throwing the shots right after slipping, because I don't think I did it that much. I'm told this move is called an up-jab. I'm the one in the silver shorts (are you sure you were watching me and not the other guy when you mentioned this?) and the other guy is the one who's been doing that, slipping and then throwing immediately after, especially in round 3. I picked up on this and you can see me slip one of his punches at 2:35 in round 3 because I knew it was coming.

I did try to do the up-jab a few times myself though, and I think I got him one or two times with it, and maybe missed with it one or two times. I made sure to try to slip without throwing too, so I wouldn't be as predicable as the other dude.

Thanks for the other tips, I'm gonna try holding my gloves as you said, and I know I need to work on my form. The weird thing is my form seems much better when I shadow box or hit the bag. I feel like I'm too close to the guy to really turn my body into the punches properly, and in rounds where we did rights to the head I was definitely holding back on power because we were told to do so. I am also hesitant to commit to a lot of punches because I'm wary of getting hit. That guy always throws back immediately as I start attacking and I feel like I'm getting hit whenever I attack. Even so I noticed that my form is horrible, I need to video myself sparring and on the bag to see if my form is actually as decent as I thought it to be, because I am pretty disappointed in what I see in myself on these videos. Especially the slowness, and the long, deliberate, drawn out style of the movements.

Trainers also said that after I attack I back off and wait for him to respond, that I should attack right away after attacking. Movement is kind of hard right now because of the pain I have in my left foot (which also prevents me from running/plyometrics, so my conditioning is also suffering, therefore I've been pacing myself a lot in these sparring sessions).

yeah i was watching you i seen you throw the up jab twice and just jumped on it, the up jab is good and is good thrown after a straight standard jab,(double jab) straight jab bob down and power up with another harder more powerful jab, this will work for you

yeah im not surprised you guys are told to hold back as a strong punch could send one of you into a threadmill and knock over an old lady who could do out her hip and claim off the fitness club for 40 grand,

dont be holding back if you are wary of being hit, a good shot will put your opponent off balance and will make it hard for him to hit you clean back, if you are wary of counters as you say you are getting caught after you attack you need to throw feints, feint the jab by stepping in with your left foot and pumping the left hand wait for your opponent to react then throw a real jab, this will work for you also

if you are worried about your speed, just practise man, constant practise will help your handspeed and you say your form is better when you shadow box and hit the bag this is down to you being so tight in sparring, from what i seen you are very rigid and aint loose, this would be nerves and anxiety and is a cunt, time will help get rid of this but if you try concentrate on being relaxed your form will be way better, you conserve energy and you are looser,

one of the best ways to stay loose in sparring / fighting is to have your arms fully relaxed, get used to only tensing up the arms and shoulders for protecting when you know 100% a punch is coming, most novices are worried about being hit and have their shoulders and arms tensed constantly to have a solid guard

attacking stright after an attack can be dangerous especially if fighting a counter puncher, try practising an attack, defend with a bob right or left or roll under right or left then come back with an attack, this takes time to master but is a step in the right direction, after every attack you should be considering defense

post up a vid of some heavy bag work and i could give you more and better pointers on that if you want
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
spittle8
Dropping Fisticuffs
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit/Camp Pendleton
Posts: 512
vCash: 1404
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
totally wrong environment for sparring
+1

You guy are playing with each other, where's the fighting? Rest assured that a real fight will be more severe than that. At the Kronk when people spar they actually hit each other. Trust me, the best way to learn from mistakes, like being lazy with the jab is eating counter shots. I learned not to be lazy with the jab from having a heavyweight hit me with counter right hands.
spittle8 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #15
colin7878
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 392
vCash: 328
Default Re: Critique my 4th Sparring session (link to vids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittle8 View Post
+1

You guy are playing with each other, where's the fighting? Rest assured that a real fight will be more severe than that. At the Kronk when people spar they actually hit each other. Trust me, the best way to learn from mistakes, like being lazy with the jab is eating counter shots. I learned not to be lazy with the jab from having a heavyweight hit me with counter right hands.
yep kinda like shadow boxing your doing
colin7878 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013