Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #31
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: "I never could of beaten him"

Yeah, Louis was a subtle pressure guy while Marciano's was glaringly obvious. I don't think Louis would be able to do anything approaching his best with Marciano stalking him around.
Russell is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #32
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

After Larry fought Tyson, Tyson said "If Holmes was at his best, I wouldn't stand a chance"
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #33
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
After Larry fought Tyson, Tyson said "If Holmes was at his best, I wouldn't stand a chance"
Mike was just being very modest. Lets face it he has never been known for his honesty.

"I didn't rape her"

"I broke my back"
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 10:09 AM   #34
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
Mike was just being very modest. Lets face it he has never been known for his honesty.

Yup, he's a lieing scum bag, but, in this situation, he happens to be partialy right, he does have a chance against a prime Larry, just it is very high.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #35
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Yup, he's a lieing scum bag, but, in this situation, he happens to be partialy right, he does have a chance against a prime Larry, just it is very high.
How do you see the fight unfolding?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #36
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
How do you see the fight unfolding?

Tyson coming out with bad intentions in the first 4-5 rounds (like usual). Larry keeping away with his great foot work (something he didn't have in their fight), and flicking his jab in Tyson face. Then around the 6th round or so starting to take over landing his cross and uppercuts. Tyson gets cut and swollen and loses his will to fight. In the 12th round does something really stupid and gets a point or two taken away. Then, in the championship rounds Larry reallly starts to pound Tyson. Mike stands his ground, but is only eating leather. The ref stops it. Or Larry wins a ud 15.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #37
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I know about Louis saying he would have never beaten Marciano but I read somewhere Marciano saying the same thing stating he would never beat a prime Louis. I'll try to look for it.

Also Moore was convinced a prime Charles would have beaten Marciano it's in my sig.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #38
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Tyson coming out with bad intentions in the first 4-5 rounds (like usual). Larry keeping away with his great foot work (something he didn't have in their fight), and flicking his jab in Tyson face. Then around the 6th round or so starting to take over landing his cross and uppercuts. Tyson gets cut and swollen and loses his will to fight. In the 12th round does something really stupid and gets a point or two taken away. Then, in the championship rounds Larry reallly starts to pound Tyson. Mike stands his ground, but is only eating leather. The ref stops it. Or Larry wins a ud 15.
Fair enough, I would have to disagree, but thanks for your prediction, appreciated.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #39
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Tyson admitted in the post fight interview he could of never of beaten Lewis.
Yeah and all of that talk, no matter who it's from is total bullspit, and you know not to believe it. None of these men would be the true competitors in this sport with a defeatist attitude like that. Playing head games that's all. Every one of them believes he can beat the other guy. They wouldn't be professional prize fighters if they didn't. Maybe deep down before the bell, inthe ring before the actual fight, you know, the moment of truth, they may feel down in their bones that they can't defeat a particular guy, but they would never, ever say that in words.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #40
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
Yeah and all of that talk, no matter who it's from is total bullspit, and you know not to believe it. None of these men would be the true competitors in this sport with a defeatist attitude like that. Playing head games that's all. Every one of them believes he can beat the other guy. They wouldn't be professional prize fighters if they didn't. Maybe deep down before the bell, inthe ring before the actual fight, you know, the moment of truth, they may feel down in their bones that they can't defeat a particular guy, but they would never, ever say that in words.
We are talking post fight; and there is a tradition in boxing of fighters being very classy in post fight talk...

You rob Tyson of this, you rob him one of the few positive things the man has done for boxing post Spinks...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #41
josak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tyson meant that in his current condition and state that he could never beat Lewis. The two of them sparred together back around 85' and it was a competitive bout with Tyson beating him up the first half and Lewis coming back the second. A Tyson of 87'/88' would murder Lewis in my opinion, but this has been argued too much already.
josak is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #42
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by josak
Tyson meant that in his current condition and state that he could never beat Lewis. The two of them sparred together back around 85' and it was a competitive bout with Tyson beating him up the first half and Lewis coming back the second. A Tyson of 87'/88' would murder Lewis in my opinion, but this has been argued too much already.
Lewis was an amateur in 1985 and in 1987/88, of course Tyson should of handled him in them years...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #43
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack
Look it. None of those guys really believe that in their hearts. They all think they could have beaten everyone. They are just being humble because humility goes a long way with fans and the press. Deep down they think otherwise, I really believe that. All champions have big egos and think they can beat whomever. That's what made them champions.
I agree.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #44
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josak
Tyson meant that in his current condition and state that he could never beat Lewis.
Yeah, that's how I understood it.

Also, he knew Lewis and other interested parties would try to pressure him into a second fight (as had been agreed) and Tyson didn't want to get beat up again or fool anyone about his chances.

I think Lewis did sue Tyson eventually for not agreeing to get beaten up a second time. Business is business, I guess. Always seemed like a silly and bizarre contract anyway, but Tyson was the ultimate cash cow and gravy train for everyone so that explains it.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #45
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
But he didn't just say it once, it was something he repeated a couple of times to my knowledge.
Makes you think though that Louis was convinced he'd beat Ali, because he always said he could.
Louis and Marciano could both have beaten Ali.

1. Louis
2. Marciano
3. Ali

RoccoMarciano is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum