Tyson by Decision 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2007, 02:56 AM   #1
streetsaresafer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default 88 TYSON v. 93 HOLYFIELD - Who Wins? - 15 rounds

88 TYSON (Spinks fight) v. 93 HOLYFIELD (2nd Bowe fight)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Who Wins? 15 round fight

For the record, my last poll between these two was a fight between them in 1991. On the General Boxing Forum, Tyson won that poll by 1 vote, 57-56. On the Classic Forum, Holyfield won the poll by 6 votes, 30 to 24. So had they fought in 91 it appears it would have been a pick em' fight.

Now who takes a fight between the Holyfield of the 2nd Bowe fight and the Tyson of the Spinks fight?

My take

Owning and having watched nearly every heavyweight fight these 2 fighters have been in leads me to the conclusion that I can't say with any real certainty what would happen. Both were truly great in their primes.

TYSON

Strengths
Incredible combination of speed and power
Devastating combination puncher

Defensively was well schooled via Cus D'Amato's peek a boo
style most notably seen with Tyson bobbing and weaving
Deadly at mid range
Great chin
Had no problem going the distance
Kevin Rooney in the corner meant Tyson was well prepared to
deliver punches with bad intentions

Weaknesses
Clinches
- Tyson even in his prime let too many fighters clinch
him and was typically not aggressive in punching his way out of a
clinch
Was still somewhat open to getting hit when coming in
What happens if he has to fight backwards?
Mental fortitude?
- How does a prime Tyson deal with the
pressure fighting an ATG like the Real Deal who was not intimidated

HOLYFIELD

Strengths
Offensively
as gifted a fighter as there was in many ways
He had every punch - great left hook (which was arguably even
better to the body), effective jab, good right hand,
uppercuts came naturally, you name the punch and Holyfield had it
in his arsenal
Combination Puncher - Evander was one of the best
Counter Punching - One of the best counter punchers in the
history of the division, Tyson himself called Holyfield the best one
he'd seen
Granite Chin - Took blows from Foreman, Bowe, Mercer, 96 Tyson,
Lewis, and more - Commander Vander could take a punch
Conditioning - Evander was almost always in top shape, and had
no problems going 12 rounds (he went 15 with Qawi)
Experience? - Had gone through the 1st Bowe fight and thus was
more prepared to box and execute a gameplan rather than slug it
out (not sure I agree with this one but some do think so)

Weaknesses
Power
- Holy did not possess big punching power like a Tyson or
Lewis, if Holyfield knocked someone out it was typically through
attrition - overall Holyfiled's punching power was respectable
though (KO'd Tyson and Dokes, knocked down Mercer and Bowe)
Tendency to War - Holyfield could be pulled into a war (though I
think this is overstated some as I think a prime Holyfield could box
and execute a gameplan - see how he 'boxed' Douglas, Foreman,
and Bowe the 2nd time)
Bert Cooper - Holyfield was knocked down by Cooper so while Holy
had one of the best chins ever, he could be knocked down,
and thus a fighter as talented as Iron Mike certainly had the tools
to stop the Real Deal
Can be hit - Evander was no Ali in there avoiding punishment
Size - Evander was not blessed with great size

Prediction - Holyfield 15th round KO

This would be an amazing fight. Tyson would be fairly dominant in the opening rounds landing early and often, staggering Holyfield by the 3rd round. Tyson's right hands and body work in particular score the most. Despite this, Holyfield would weather the first 5 rounds, and eventually start to take control of the fight with his counter punching. Evander would also frustrate Mike some by pushing him back at times and at other times tying him up. Tyson would bob and weave significantly less once the fight goes past the 5th round and thus Iron Mike would get easier to hit. Holyfield also starts to time Tyson more and hits him with greater regularity. The fight is still close by the championship rounds. By the 15th, Tyson is exhausted from the Real Deal's continual pressure and counterpunching. Tyson can't seem to break Holyfield's will. Finally, halfway into the 15th and final round a blistering combination from Holyfield punctuated by a picture perfect left hook puts Tyson on the canvas and out.

Thoughts? Who do you think would take this bout?

I suspect Tyson will win 2/3 of the vote on the General Forum, and 55 percent of the vote on the Classic Forum (based on the fact that the voting in the 91 fight was almost dead even)

Who wins between 88 Tyson and 93 Holyfield?
streetsaresafer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887
Default Re: 88 TYSON v. 93 HOLYFIELD - Who Wins? - 15 rounds

I'd pick Tyson in this one, mainly because he was a formidable beast at the peak of his powers.
Physical attributes aside, his aura of invincibilty had yet to be shattered, his confidence was sky high, and he still had Jacobs and Rooney with him. He really came into his own during 1988, where he was at his absolute best.

The 93 version of Holyfield by contrast, was lacking in the ring savvy, experience and physical strength of the later model which tackled Riddick Bowe a second and third time and later beat Tyson.

Holyfield was still very good in '93 of course and possibly at his physical peak, aside from the fact that he was still a relatively small 208. I'm just not convinced he had the discipline then to NOT engage in a slugging match with Tyson and I don't think he had the strength to dominate him in the clinches like he was able to do years later.

Still, no easy fight for Tyson. Any version of Evander would give a peak Tyson trouble. Back in '88 though, Mike was still hungry and without all the mental and emotional baggage of the '96 version which Holyfield eventually fought.
In '88 he still had the discipline and persistence to keep going and maintain the intensity even when things did not always go according to plan (See Tucker fight.)

I think it would have been pretty much a war while it lasted, but I think Tyson would end it within 5 rounds.
fists of fury is online now  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
bigd

holyfield in a complete mismatch. it would be worse than thier other two fights. holyfield in a lopsided 4 rounds as tyson would be brutely kod in round 4.
bigd is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 05:03 AM   #4
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

^^
Old 08-30-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
I'd pick Tyson in this one, mainly because he was a formidable beast at the peak of his powers.
Physical attributes aside, his aura of invincibilty had yet to be shattered, his confidence was sky high, and he still had Jacobs and Rooney with him. He really came into his own during 1988, where he was at his absolute best.

The 93 version of Holyfield by contrast, was lacking in the ring savvy, experience and physical strength of the later model which tackled Riddick Bowe a second and third time and later beat Tyson.

Holyfield was still very good in '93 of course and possibly at his physical peak, aside from the fact that he was still a relatively small 208. I'm just not convinced he had the discipline then to NOT engage in a slugging match with Tyson and I don't think he had the strength to dominate him in the clinches like he was able to do years later.

Still, no easy fight for Tyson. Any version of Evander would give a peak Tyson trouble. Back in '88 though, Mike was still hungry and without all the mental and emotional baggage of the '96 version which Holyfield eventually fought.
In '88 he still had the discipline and persistence to keep going and maintain the intensity even when things did not always go according to plan (See Tucker fight.)

I think it would have been pretty much a war while it lasted, but I think Tyson would end it within 5 rounds.
A fanastic and well thought out post, I'm mostly in agreement 'cept for the brief point I've highlighted. I could see this one going to the scorecards most likely a close, but clear UD/SD in Tysons favour (perhaps a late stoppage victory for Tyson, due to accumulation). Holyfield always gives Tyson a hellish fight, however his slug happy tendancy at this stage could well eventually tell when up against a peak '88 Tyson.

Incidently, I think Holyfield (without question!) has Tysons number- at any stage post 1990 onwards ...
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 05:57 AM   #6
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
A fanastic and well thought out post, I'm mostly in agreement 'cept for the brief point I've highlighted. I could see this one going to the scorecards most likely a close, but clear UD/SD in Tysons favour (perhaps a late stoppage victory for Tyson, due to accumulation). Holyfield always gives Tyson a hellish fight, however his slug happy tendancy at this stage could well eventually tell when up against a peak '88 Tyson.

Incidently, I think Holyfield (without question!) has Tysons number- at any stage post 1990 onwards ...
Thank you and I agree on your assesment post 1990.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The Tyson of the Spinks fight beats Holyfield. Whether by decision or by knockout, he beats Holyfield.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
bigG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

calling mike tyson...calling mike tyson........hello...hi mike, its evander holyfield, iv got your number................wide ud or late rounds stoppage for evander.....
bigG is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
josak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think stylistically, Holyfield is a bad matchup for Mike. But then again, Holyfield fought a version of Mike that was no where close to the one in 88'. I'd have to give Mike the nod on this one, because I just can't see him losing at his peak except to maybe a few ATG fighters like Ali and Foreman. Holyfield would have certainly been his toughest fight at that point, but I think Mike would ultimately win via KO.

Last edited by josak; 03-18-2009 at 06:58 AM.
josak is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 1040

Tyson with in six rounds. This isn't 1996. Holyfield would be to eger to engage Tyson. Tyson would make Holyfield miss and counter him.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
Muchmoore

vCash:

Tyson is able to outwork Holyfield and stop him in the mid rounds or win by close but clear UD. Holyfield wasn't as strong as he was in 96 and Tyson was much better in 88 than 96.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:51 AM   #12
natedog
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Holyfield wins if he can make it out alive in rounds 1-3. Most likely, Holyfield would score a close UD or late stoppage, due to his determination, conditioning, and heart. Tyson, whether it be a prime version or not, always faded in the later rounds because his style requires a lot of energy. Would Tyson be able to dispatch Holyfield in the first half of the fight, or would Holyfield win down the stretch? Thats the million dollar question.
natedog is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 01:54 AM   #13
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I used to think Tyson, back before they were going to fight in the 80s/pre-90, but now, after all of what I've seen, no, I have to admit, Holy was just too damn tough for him. Evander would have taken it and dished it back, and eventually would have won out just like he did. Evander didn't hit as hard, but he was faster, more skilled, better defense and chin, better condition, better mental toughness. Tyson would spectacularly KO many more guys than Evander, and look better in more fights, like Foreman to Ali, but head to head, I think Evander wins every time.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 AM   #14
natedog
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack
I used to think Tyson, back before they were going to fight in the 80s/pre-90, but now, after all of what I've seen, no, I have to admit, Holy was just too damn tough for him. Evander would have taken it and dished it back, and eventually would have won out just like he did. Evander didn't hit as hard, but he was faster, more skilled, better defense and chin, better condition, better mental toughness. Tyson would spectacularly KO many more guys than Evander, and look better in more fights, like Foreman to Ali, but head to head, I think Evander wins every time.
I think Tyson was far more talented in every aspect, but Holyfield had to earn everything. Unlike Tyson, Holyfield always had something to prove. He was more inspired, and inspiration goes a long way. He had more of a reason to fight, while Tyson had more reason to lose. Complacency, along with the lack of a support system, led to Tyson's demise.
natedog is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 04:14 AM   #15
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog
I think Tyson was far more talented in every aspect, but Holyfield had to earn everything. Unlike Tyson, Holyfield always had something to prove. He was more inspired, and inspiration goes a long way. He had more of a reason to fight, while Tyson had more reason to lose. Complacency, along with the lack of a support system, led to Tyson's demise.
That's actually a nice way of looking at it and you make a good point. It doesn't change my opinion, but nonetheless a refreshing way of looking at Holyfield v Tyson.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum