Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,530
vCash: 118
Default Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

For beating has been versions of certain fighters? Basically "upsets" that really shouldn't been such to the knowledgable viewer, but get trumpeted anyway.

People seem to completely discredit Roy Jones in some circles over getting KO'ed. Well past his best, an ungodly amount of pounds away from his prime weight... And the fact that his chin was "exposed..." He more than likely never had much of a chin to begin with, simply the skill to avoid any and all shots. Heavier and older, it's all gone.

What'cha got.
Russell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Ali-Holmes. Ali's fans still had the hope I guess that Ali would beat him. Larry would receive numerous calls a day saying he would get KO'd. People let their better judgement slip in that fight.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Holmes barely received any real credit for beating up on the zombie version of Ali and rightly so (not that it was his fault, mind). Strange choice.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Stracey over Napoles is my (immediate) choice.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Hawkeye
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

George Foreman and Muhammad Ali get a lot of credit for beating a greatly diminished version of Joe Frazier. Frazier was at his best for the first Jimmy Ellis fight through the first Ali fight. After that he gained weight, and was never the same fighter. Frazier was not totally "shot" as a fighter, but he was not what he had been.
Hawkeye is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Holmes barely received any real credit for beating up on the zombie version of Ali and rightly so (not that it was his fault, mind). Strange choice.

Oh, oops, my bad I didn't read the whole title.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Mike Tyson vs Michael Spinks and Larry Holmes. He gets a lot of credit for beating shells of their prime selves, and IMO for no reason at all.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,137
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Gerry Cooney came to my mind immediately...

Last edited by bratwurzt; 05-24-2006 at 06:18 AM.
jowcol is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
For beating has been versions of certain fighters? Basically "upsets" that really shouldn't been such to the knowledgable viewer, but get trumpeted anyway.

People seem to completely discredit Roy Jones in some circles over getting KO'ed. Well past his best, an ungodly amount of pounds away from his prime weight... And the fact that his chin was "exposed..." He more than likely never had much of a chin to begin with, simply the skill to avoid any and all shots. Heavier and older, it's all gone.

What'cha got.
Lewis over Tyson got a lot of credit I think.

A lot of people's opinion of Lewis heightened after that fight and I'm still not quite sure why. Williams and McBride were able to do the same thing.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,643
vCash: 238
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
Mike Tyson vs Michael Spinks and Larry Holmes. He gets a lot of credit for beating shells of their prime selves, and IMO for no reason at all.
How about these reasons:

No one saw Spinks as a shell of his former self and he held the linear title. It's not just about the fact that he beat Spinks but that he completely destroyed him in 90 seconds.

Holmes would go on to beat a top contender FIVE years later. Now you may come with all the excuses that Holmes took the fight on two minutes notice by the evil Don King etc, but 4 rounds isn't exactly the point where lack of conditioning sets in badly. It was a good win for Tyson.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #11
Jear
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 787
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill
Lewis over Tyson got a lot of credit I think.

A lot of people's opinion of Lewis heightened after that fight and I'm still not quite sure why. Williams and McBride were able to do the same thing.


In some quarters he does, but it is also something that is used to discredit him in other quarters. It was a fight that the ppv companys were always going to make because joe public still thought Tyson had something and still werent convinced by Lewis.
Jear is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #12
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jear
In some quarters he does, but it is also something that is used to discredit him in other quarters. It was a fight that the ppv companys were always going to make because joe public still thought Tyson had something and still werent convinced by Lewis.
George Foreman, the so called expert, jumped on Lewis' bandwagon by claiming he'd beat Muhammad Ali after Lewis demolished Tyson.

I'm not saying Lewis wouldn't have a shot in the dark against Ali, I give him at least that, but it's almost as if Lewis became an elite fighter only after beating old Tyson.

The Tyson that was demolished was a joke.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #13
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 1230
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
Mike Tyson vs Michael Spinks and Larry Holmes. He gets a lot of credit for beating shells of their prime selves, and IMO for no reason at all.
Spinks: Linear Champ, undefeated and took the title from Holmes twice. People gave him shot to upset Tyson. Tyson made it look easier than it should have been. Good win.

Holmes: The fact that it ended in 4 rounds IMO means that conditioning didnt really come into play. And as self centered as Larry Holmes was and considering his pedigree I have a hard time believing he was in there for the payday. Solid win.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #14
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 647
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

I'd say Buster Douglas Vs Mike Tyson

I think the version of Mike Tyson who lost to McBride would defeat the '90 version.

He begun to believe his own hype, refused to do roadwork so was horrendously out of shape (didn't even have one good round in him), his timing was off, his head movement was non existent, he abandoned his jab, and just looked awful. He was there for the taking that night, but Buster gets an awful lot of credit for it.
Sizzle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shot Fighters - Who gets the most credit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
Spinks had never been beaten, floored or stopped. He beat Holmes 2x (although you could argue he lost the rematch) and Cooney despite a huge size disadvantage.

Years later, Holmes beat undefeated Mercer who went on to give Lennox Lewis a tough fight.

I'm pretty sure Qawi floored Spinks. And also, just because your undefeated doesn't mean your still at your peak and not past it. Look at Marciano, if he came back in 1965, undefeated, to challenge Ali for the title, would you say he was shot? No, using your logic. Spinks was also shot as a fighter in the Tyson fight. If you look, he is wearing a knee brace, and he was retired for a year. 4 years later, Larry came back to beat Mercer and have a decent comeback, but IMO the Larry of the Mercer, McCall, and Holyfield fight could take the Larry of the Tyson fight.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013