Old 09-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #31
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Whitaker vs. Camacho?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
I remember the Davis-Taylor fight being advertised as 'Crossroads', the funny thing being they both stalled!!
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #32
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Whitaker vs. Camacho?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Sometimes they progress fast, sometimes they don't. This goes for any fighter, not just "Olympians". Extensive amateur exposure is a good springboard but not always neccessary my little Red one.
Happens more times than you think. Another example is Bernard Taylor with just 14 fights challenging Perdoza in a fight I thought he actually won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john thomas
Would you call hime the rule or the exception? Trouble is Meldrick at the time couldn't beat a well over the hill Davis. Facts are Howard was comfortably past it, tho he still obviously fought quite well on the night. I'm a fan of Howard and found it a shame he couldn't nab his title at some point.
Who says Howard was done? An over the hill Davis would have lost to Taylor-the way everyone else did. He did much better than Chavez on the scorecards.

Quote:
Yes, i remember dozens apon dozens of times they didn't succeed to. If we look hard enough we can find exceptions to most anything, and that's exactly what your examples are, exceptions.
so then you can't say 12 fights isn't enough can you? If it's enough for Davey Moore, it's enough for Taylor to be in the ring with Davis, who wasn't even champion. If it's enough for Holyfield, it's enough for Taylor. If 7 fights are enough for leon Spinks to beat Muhammud Ali, then surely it's enough for Taylor.

John, you're getting slaughtered.

Quote:
Davey Moore is a good example of a guy who was rushed that little bit (hindsights easy of course), but mainly because he was unlucky enough to come across Duran on fire and a ref and team that didn't give two fukks about his health. Can't blame them for taking on a Duran who was thought to be very beatable for Davey. The loss did irrepairable damage.
Davey was unfortunate enough to come across Duran when he thumbed him in the opening round. Or had you forgot?

so we'll never really know how Davey would have done-would we? The thumb did irrepairable damage.
redrooster is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum