Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default The Best Ref Ever

Somebody started a thread about the worst ref ever, it got me thinking about the topic of best ref ever. As referees very rarely get any praise.

In my personal experience I would go for an English ref called Mickey Vann from Leeds. In all the fights I have seen him referee I observed him to be a fine no nonsense disciplinarian. I also feel he lets the fight flow when needed and at the same time is always on the ball and quick to pick up any rule infringements.

Who is your pick?

Last edited by MARINE 1; 05-24-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
peter5
Marco.A.Barrera
ESB Addict

vCash: 1562
Default Re: The Best Ref Ever

Mickey Vann is a good shout, for all those reasons there you stated. He never seems to get alot wrong, which is what you want, right decisions at the right time.
peter5 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
Rickypr18
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Richard Steele.
Rickypr18 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Unfortunately my two favorites are gone: Mills Lane and Mitch Halpern.

There are some that I like here and there - Tony Orlando, Frank Cappucino, Eddie Cotton, Wayne Kelly, Steve Smoger, Fred Steinweinder, Vic Drakulich.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypr18
Richard Steele.
He would be my modern pick as well.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Richard Steele and Arthur Mercante Sr.

Woller
Woller is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

And then maybe the very best: John Coyle

Woller
Woller is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

I'd be curious to know why it should not be Arthur Mercante, Sr. What might he have done wrong? Where might he have screwed up? It's a process of elimination type inquiry.

Stanley Christodoulou comes to mind. His explicit criteria for determining precisely when to stop Pryor/Arguello I was spot on.

Mills Lane did a great job officiating Holmes/Cooney. A diminutive man with a commanding presence. A little flamboyant though. Ideally, a referee ought not to be noticed, and shouldn't be a decisive factor in turning the tide of a fight, as Tony Perez did in round two of Ali/Frazier II, or as Arthur Donovan did in Louis/Mauriello.

Mercante's presence wasn't merely commanding enough to induce boxers to break on his verbal command, but his nonverbal communications skills actually enabled him to effectively referee matches between boxers who spoke in different languages.

During Mercante's career, the era of referees also scoring contests went into decline. Even when stripped of this authority, he was able to maintain control of the action. (Naturally, if a referee is also judging a bout, the sensible thing is to respect his authority. This can be somewhat diminished if he's not keeping a scorecard, but it wasn't true for Mercante.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #9
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum

During Mercante's career, the era of referees also scoring contests went into decline. Even when stripped of this authority, he was able to maintain control of the action. (Naturally, if a referee is also judging a bout, the sensible thing is to respect his authority. This can be somewhat diminished if he's not keeping a scorecard, but it wasn't true for Mercante.)
Larry Hazzard was a good ref as a commissioner he rarely made much sense, but he was spot on about refs not scoring fights.

It is potentially very dangerous, a ref's sole job should be looking after the safety of each fighter; to have to judge a fight as well, is a job too much.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #10
Vockerman
LightJunior SuperFlyweigt
ESB Full Member

IMHO

Arthur Donovan
Vockerman is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Larry Hazzard was a good ref as a commissioner he rarely made much sense, but he was spot on about refs not scoring fights.

It is potentially very dangerous, a ref's sole job should be looking after the safety of each fighter; to have to judge a fight as well, is a job too much.
Very true, my pick for best ref Mickey Vann wasn't too great a judge either. He scored the Chavez/Whitaker fight a draw! and was responsible for the majority draw verdict. He actually admitted to deducting a point off Whitaker for what he said was a low blow. This despite the fact that he wasn't refereeing the fight, the actual ref did not ask the judges to deduct a point. Mickey Vann just took it upon himself to deduct a point from Whitaker on his score card. A prime example of a good referee making a bad judge.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Napoleon
Smokin'
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypr18
Richard Steele.
Wrong thread.

This thread is for best ref ever not worst.
Napoleon is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 07:05 PM   #13
andyZOR
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 823

Mills Lane
andyZOR is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #14
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Ruby Goldstein, Arthur Mercante SR, and JR. Randy Neumann,Richard Steele,Mills Layne and a couple of spanish guys I cant think of right now, Perez and?
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze

My reservations about Hazzard as a referee concern the fact that he was too active and involved in the action. Boxing is a spectator sport, and as I've stated before, I don't think a great referee draws attention to himself. Sometimes, I noticed Hazzard to the exclusion of the competitors.Through most of boxing's history, referees did perform as judges, sometimes as the sole judge. Yet past generations of retired boxers didn't seem to be afflicted with premature dementia as much as today's younger retirees from the sport, and this despite the fact that referees doubled as judges in an era when professionals might have 200 to 400 fights (not including amateur competition).

It's challenging for me to question a system which worked perfectly well for over a century, and I see no evidence that taking judging duties away from the referee has enhanced boxer safety.It's been my understanding that in Mexico, the ringside physician can press a button to set off a red light ending a match, and that this system has worked very well in that country. Can anybody on ESB verify that this has been the practice there?
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum